Figuring Out the Finisher Moves in Fighting Games

I have not played much of any 21st century video or computer games but I suppose it still applies just the same. One of my favourite games as a kid was Mortal Kombat II (SNES port and occasionally PC) and me and my friends (mostly me) would toy around with the buttons within that four or so second time period hoping to discover a new fatality.

I remember coming up with two fatalities on my own. One was Mileena’s fatality where she swallows the opponent whole and spits out the bones. I just randomly smashed buttons with the block on and would repeat it. I remember it was either summer or autumn and I was playing as Baraka in the pit level, leaped over the opponent while hitting either the left or the right button of the pad (depending on direction of the jump) and hit Y and I got it; the opponent’s head took off. I believe I then proceeded to go to my grandmother’s place for dinner.

Memories are ambiguous but I might have also crossed Kitana’s decapitation fatality, Mileena’s friendship and perhaps Rayden’s uppercut fatality, though in the latter case it would have been a friend’s invention.

In MK3, I might have accidentally discovered Stryker’s electrocution fatality. It is the only reasonably doable move in the absence of cheating so that may be why I have such a potentially false memory.

The cartridge package came with a paper instructing me to send some stamps to a specified address in exchange for a complete fatality/secrets manual, which I received several weeks, possibly months later.

snore-tabulous story bro!

[quote]WormwoodTheory wrote:
snore-tabulous story bro![/quote]

LMFAO!!

Fuckin’ Wormy always has the best one-liners!

My prediction is that this thread will end with a fatality.

I predict someone’s butt will get hurt and Kerley will fap away.

so pretty much just another day on T-Nation.

Terrific intro. Fast-paced progression to a thrilling climax. Resolution left me basking in an afterglow of satisfaction.

OP…why the fuck did you post this? An old crone’s itemized shopping list for “The Yarn Barn” would have been a better read.

[quote]WormwoodTheory wrote:
snore-tabulous story bro![/quote]
Flawless Victory!

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
Terrific intro. Fast-paced progression to a thrilling climax. Resolution left me basking in an afterglow of satisfaction.

OP…why the fuck did you post this? An old crone’s itemized shopping list for “The Yarn Barn” would have been a better read. [/quote]

If I had food in my mouth, I would have spit it out upon reading this. Hi-diddly-arious

[quote]Alffi wrote:
I have not played much of any 21st century video or computer games but I suppose it still applies just the same. One of my favourite games as a kid was Mortal Kombat II (SNES port and occasionally PC) and me and my friends (mostly me) would toy around with the buttons within that four or so second time period hoping to discover a new fatality.

I remember coming up with two fatalities on my own. One was Mileena’s fatality where she swallows the opponent whole and spits out the bones. I just randomly smashed buttons with the block on and would repeat it. I remember it was either summer or autumn and I was playing as Baraka in the pit level, leaped over the opponent while hitting either the left or the right button of the pad (depending on direction of the jump) and hit Y and I got it; the opponent’s head took off. I believe I then proceeded to go to my grandmother’s place for dinner.

Memories are ambiguous but I might have also crossed Kitana’s decapitation fatality, Mileena’s friendship and perhaps Rayden’s uppercut fatality, though in the latter case it would have been a friend’s invention.

In MK3, I might have accidentally discovered Stryker’s electrocution fatality. It is the only reasonably doable move in the absence of cheating so that may be why I have such a potentially false memory.

The cartridge package came with a paper instructing me to send some stamps to a specified address in exchange for a complete fatality/secrets manual, which I received several weeks, possibly months later.[/quote]

fatalities (and most other kick ass moves in fighting games) are don by chaining up other simpler moves at the right time. What you mentioned (bashing the buttons) is known as “button mashing” in fighting game lingo. It’s not advisable to play the game that way because you will never get good at the game.

If you want to get good and leanr all the finishing moves/how to kick ass, then take some time to familiarize yourself with the combos. I haven’t played much MK, but I play quite a bit of Tekken. In Tekken, the triangle and circle are both punches, while the square and x are kicks (if i remember correctly). pressing a kick and punch with an arrow all at the same time will generally give you a basic attack move. Then you it gets more intricate because you will leanr how to press multiple different combinations in successiongiving you competely unique and often non-blockable combos.

[quote]A Ninny Mouse wrote:

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:

OP…why the fuck did you post this? An old crone’s itemized shopping list for “The Yarn Barn” would have been a better read. [/quote]

If I had food in my mouth, I would have spit it out upon reading this. Hi-diddly-arious[/quote]

hahaha, x2. I haven’t lol’d @ a internet post that hard in a long time.