Figuring Out My Shoulder Issues?

Ive been experiencing different minor shoulder issues for the past 6-12 months. They seem to come and go, and I just cant put my finger on it.

*Its usually minor numbness or an aching in my shoulder or traps.

*Doesn’t seem to be directly related to any exercises, at least from what ive seen. (I stay away from barbell pressing movements, and favor db’s instead)

*Sometimes it will be in my right shoulder, and then the very next day, my right side is fine, and my left is not.

*Once in a while, i’ll get a stiff sore back, that goes all the way from my lower back, up into the back of my head.

*Usually if i concsiously focus on relaxation the pain/discomfort will go away temporarily.

*I noticed that if i get hungy it gets worse, and after eating it usually subsides for a while.

*Rolling a tennis ball on the medial border of my scapula, and right below my shoulder joint feels like there are some knots, and usually feels good for a while afterwards.

*Unlike many others, I dont do much pressing movements and this developed when I was doing a lot of deadlifting, and db snatches, and pullups. Im pretty sure my external rotation strength and ROM are not the problem.

Ive read a lot of articles on here about shoulders, and have tried to figure out whats causing this. I dont think its serious enough to go to a doctor, but does need some focus at correcting. Anyone have any ideas?

I’ve had a lot of these symptoms when I played football, I had compressed nerves in my neck and upper back. Foam Rolling might help a little bit as well as backing off anything that bothers it for a while.

I’ve had a lot of these symptoms when I played football, I had compressed nerves in my neck and upper back. Foam Rolling might help a little bit as well as backing off anything that bothers it for a while.

Thanks for the input, ive added a lot of foam rolling lately, and it seems to be helping. Im trying to figure out exactly what aggrevates it, and what makes it better.

Im starting to think its the biceps tendon, but there is no pain when doing any specific movements.

But when i stand with my hands at my side, and rotate my hand down and inwards, i can feel something in my shoulder click over. No pain involved, and only seems to happen when that shoulder is acting up more.

Its funny too, because it can switch back and forth between left and right, by the hour.

Im gonna deload next week by switching to all single limb and BW exercises, to see if that has an effect on things.

Thanks again.

I have almost exactly the same problem. If someone could shed some light on the issue that would be great.

Thanks OP for starting the thread.

You mention that your external rotation ROM is good - what’s your internal rotation ROM like, and what’s the difference between the two?

Bench press does it to me