Figuring DB Pounds to Barbell Pounds

I agree, there is usually some learning curve when you go to an old exercise before you bring it up to par with current strength levels. Technique and neural programming both play a role.

I can eat 50 eggs.

This thread is getting so long…

In my personal experience, my strength with DBs is about 85-90% of my strength with BB. That being said, my gym has a Sorinex bench for DBs so I don’t have to muscle the weight into position, either. I doubt I’d do as much if I had to kick the weights up.

http://store.sorinex.com/Dumbbell_Spotter_Drop_w_bench_Max_Racks_p/dbsdi-2.htm

I do 245X6, and 110sX6 for about the same # of sets.

I’ve seen this on a lot of forums and it’s usually this formula or close to it that holds true for myself and many others. Keep in mind it only holds true if you are doing both exercises on a regular basis.

Barbell Weight x .80 = Dumbbell weight. And Conversely:
Dumbbell Weight x 1.25 = Barbell weight.

While I was in high school I got into lifting for a while and worked myself up to bench pressing 225 three sets of ten. At the same time I was benching 90lb dumbbells the same number of reps/sets.

This is relatively close to what your actual STRENGTH is. This does not translate directly to what you’ll actually be able to lift right away, because your body just isn’t accustomed to a different movement.

Just thought I’d post something relating to the original question.

[quote]iamthewolf wrote:
clip11 wrote:
My questions is if i can press a pair of 145’s 10 times what should i be able to do on barbell?

why don’t you load up a barbell and find out.

[/quote]

Why not indeed?

I believe the OP if he is shorter than 6’.

At 6’1" 190 (arms barely over 16") very lean I DB pressed 150s for 6 deep, clean reps. My BB bench was 315x6. Weighted dips 3 plates for 8-10 reps. I bulked to 210 at about 15% bodyfat, then cut to 190 around 7-8% while not losing any strength.

Don’t care if everyone believes it, but I have no reason to bullshit. It’s not like my physique is that impressive anyways.

If you could press 150 lb dumbells at 190 lbs and 6’1’’ you, must have chicken legs, no back and hella strong triceps and chest. I haven’t had the pleasure of seeing anyone dumbell press the 150’s yet, I rarely see anyone doing over 100. Think 1 night I saw a guy pressing the 110’s on incline for like 8-10 reps which was pretty impressive as it wasn’t his first exercise.

Most guys can bench 250-300 lbs on a barbell and barely do reps with like 85-90’s on dumbells, where as myself I can do the 100’s for 8-9 reps and can only bench maybe 265 for 1 rep on a bar. Just depends what lifts fit your structure better I guess.

[quote]BurnMyEyes wrote:
If you could press 150 lb dumbells at 190 lbs and 6’1’’ you, must have chicken legs, no back and hella strong triceps and chest. I haven’t had the pleasure of seeing anyone dumbell press the 150’s yet, I rarely see anyone doing over 100. Think 1 night I saw a guy pressing the 110’s on incline for like 8-10 reps which was pretty impressive as it wasn’t his first exercise.

Most guys can bench 250-300 lbs on a barbell and barely do reps with like 85-90’s on dumbells, where as myself I can do the 100’s for 8-9 reps and can only bench maybe 265 for 1 rep on a bar. Just depends what lifts fit your structure better I guess.[/quote]

Yea my legs are weak. I admit that. I don’t think I was too out of proportion, though. I’m currently working them twice a week, and just maintaining upper body. 24.5" thighs, 16" calves. Legs are weak in size and strength, but most of my upper body is strong. Lat-Pull 280 for reps, DB row 150 for 15+ reps. My chest isn’t that strong. And yea, my triceps do most of the work in my pressing, I skull-crush 160 for reps. Best BB max was 370.

I think I’m just pretty fast twitch, horrible in the 8+rep range.

I need to get a video of me DB benching some 150s.

I really wish I had a stronger squat. I realize bench isn’t that great now, it’s all about squats for me now and hitting the hammies.

Hello Clip1,

If you are still alive I would be interested to know what DB are you pressing now 8 years later (if you are still training).