Figuring DB Pounds to Barbell Pounds

[quote]Professor X wrote:
clip11 wrote:
Im not interested in looking like ronnie coleman…if i ate like I was supposed to I could easily be 220 pounds and would probably have to get special made dbs.

Im a muscular 175, thats all you need to know. I can use a pair of 145s for ten at 175. Thats all you need to know. And Im happy at where I am. You may be big, but not that strong. I done seen 225 pound guys struggle with a pair of 100 lb dbs, thats what I call hollow muscle.

The ones thats trying to knock me want to be able to do what I can do but cant. So the only thing else to do is to find reasons why I cant do what I say.

I mean if Im 175 and can almost bench my bodyweight in dbs, obviously in doing something right. So if you want to get to the same level, it seems you would be asking questions about what I do, how do I do it etc., instead of trying to knock me. Ive been told i got a nice looking body. I used to box. But trying to knock me aint making you no better.

Dude, I’m stronger than even what you claimed. Why do you think the people speaking to you are behind you in some way?

Like I said posts ago, I don’t see this leading anywhere…but if you want to act like you’ve passed me up, you may want to slow down a bit.[/quote]

I dnt know that and will never know that…so lets leave it there. Unless youre going to come to Detroit so we can have a competition its no need to carry this on…

I wonder, why is it that these guys never own cameras or have any friends or family who own cameras.

[quote]Christine wrote:
I wonder, why is it that these guys never own cameras or have any friends or family who own cameras.

[/quote]

He done lost his wallet.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
I would think that someone that puts up numbers like you, would be a little more intelligent when it comes to lifting, thus this question would never come up. Just my .02 :shrug:[/quote]

this is exactly what I was thinking

edit: Jeez I only saw how long this thread was after posting…I would have let it go

greekdawg wrote:
Also, forgive my ignorance, but I thought it was the other way around?:

What you can do on BB bench, don’t expect to be able to do on DB bench becausde of the additional stabilizer strength needed?

Likewise, I thought if you get your DB significantly stronger, you’re BB bench would also go up?

This is true. When it comes to topics like this, it may help to look at who is giving what advice.[/quote]

Actually I think I got it from a Poliquin article.

So I’m asking you then, whatever you max on BB, can you get the same on DBs?

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
Professor X wrote:
greekdawg wrote:

What you can do on BB bench, don’t expect to be able to do on DB bench becausde of the additional stabilizer strength needed?

Likewise, I thought if you get your DB significantly stronger, you’re BB bench would also go up?

This is true. When it comes to topics like this, it may help to look at who is giving what advice.

So I’m asking you then, whatever you max on BB, can you get the same on DBs?[/quote]

I haven’t done the barbell in years, but back when I started using dumbbells, I had managed 405lbs on the bench press. I was barely using the 120lbs dumbbells at first for my last set when I switched. So no, most will not see the same weight using dumbbells that they saw on the bench press. There may be exceptions, but they don’t make the rule.

I really wish I knew where you people lift at.
I’ve never once assumed good lifter = intelligent.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
I’ve never once assumed good lifter = intelligent. [/quote]

I have never once assumed “intelligent” equaled “good lifter”.

No one gives a shit about your IQ in the gym. I also know quite a few people who THINK they are so smart but can’t figure out the basics. If you want to show off how much you know, go to college and then grad school. I did.

clip. quick question, How do you get the weights in position to lift?

Airtruth wrote:

No one gives a shit about your IQ in the gym. I also know quite a few people who THINK they are so smart but can’t figure out the basics. If you want to show off how much you know, go to college and then grad school. I did.[/quote]

I only know one.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Airtruth wrote:

No one gives a shit about your IQ in the gym. I also know quite a few people who THINK they are so smart but can’t figure out the basics. If you want to show off how much you know, go to college and then grad school. I did.

I only know one.[/quote]

Then you aren’t paying attention. Everyone who is extremely worried about some microscopic detail (like whether they ate protein with GASP carbs AND fats) but can’t figure out “eat more to gain weight” falls into that category.

Airtruth wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Airtruth wrote:

I only know one.

Then you aren’t paying attention. Everyone who is extremely worried about some microscopic detail (like whether they ate protein with GASP carbs AND fats) but can’t figure out “eat more to gain weight” falls into that category.[/quote]

It was a joke, take a week off

[quote]martin blank wrote:

[/quote]

The bad thing is, there are actually people who exist who think you should be able to put that weight down “gently” after that set.

[quote]martin blank wrote:

[/quote]

God that guy is such a freaking beast. So many people wouldn’t be able to do that many reps with a weight that makes them tremble… let alone the weight he’s putting up! truly an inspiration!

martin blank wrote:

The bad thing is, there are actually people who exist who think you should be able to put that weight down “gently” after that set.[/quote]

lol I had the same experience I was using the 130’s and after my set I just let them drop to the side. It makes a lot of noise. I had some skinny punk who works at the gym come up to me and and say “if you can put the weight down gently you need use less weight”.

I said ok, and continued with my workout.

[quote]Christine wrote:

[/quote]

Wut did i tell you on the other post…u still got it in your mouth…you can stop i came already…

[quote]clip11 wrote:
Christine wrote:

Wut did i tell you on the other post…u still got it in your mouth…you can stop i came already…[/quote]

Although I wouldn’t have thought it possible before reading this post, I think people may have even less respect for you now that you’ve written this.

greekdawg wrote:
Professor X wrote:
greekdawg wrote:

This is true. When it comes to topics like this, it may help to look at who is giving what advice.

So I’m asking you then, whatever you max on BB, can you get the same on DBs?

I haven’t done the barbell in years, but back when I started using dumbbells, I had managed 405lbs on the bench press. I was barely using the 120lbs dumbbells at first for my last set when I switched. So no, most will not see the same weight using dumbbells that they saw on the bench press. There may be exceptions, but they don’t make the rule.[/quote]

Notice how I DONT HATE on you and call your lifts bullshit…

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:

Reverse band 315lb bench + 80lbs of chains for a double:

Not to detract from this masterpiece of a thread, but you do realize reverse with band presses you can handle quite a bit more weight?[/quote]

Well, of course I realize that! But the point I was making is that here is a guy who weighs 172lbs and benches in the mid-to-upper 300’s and uses 100lb dumbbells for floor presses for a modest amount of reps and he is a freak on the football field (NFL) and in the gym.

Yet, the OP is claiming to be of similar weight and much stonger without offering any proof of such (no photos, no videos, just a lot of hootin’ and hollerin’ on the thread).

So if the OP is as strong and as mighty as he claims, why isn’t he the next Brian Witherspoon and playing in the NFL??? :wink:

That’s the connection I was trying to make. But I don’t think it worked!