T Nation

Figure Forming for Old Gals

After a couple years of trying a mish mash of training programs, I happened upon 5/3/1 and decided to give it a try. I’m a big believer in the KISS principle so the Triumvirate plan looked perfect.

I’ve been on it for almost a year now and have added 150lbs to my squat, 90lbs to squat…and so on…I know, surprise, it works! I am now getting to the point where hitting the 1 rep on week three is tough…half a squat sometimes. My thought is to not add weight until I can do one with good form. Makes sense to me but thought I’d check and see what others have done.

Other problems…I still can’t do the required pull ups (5x10)…drives me crazy. I’m 168 at 5’-7" (also 48 but I’m trying not to use that. :)) so could probably drop a few. I can do everything else.

Thanks, Jim…I’ve never looked so good or been so strong!!

For best results, I recommend using a TM that allows you to get 5 strong reps @ 95%. If you choose to do a 5/3/1 program with a higher volume of supplemental work (BBB @ FSL, for example), the TM is generally less. It’s the same idea I’ve said a million times before, “put something in, pull something out.”

As for the pull-ups, strive for 50 total reps of pulling; just mix/match the chins/pull-ups with another movement.

Thanks! I’ll try the BBB@ FSL for my next round and see how it goes…