Figure Athletes For Motivation

Dude, If you train to make your self look better to others, it’s not a bad thing. It’s great in fact.

But who the hell would want to ‘train for themselves’? What kind of narcissistic prick would do that?

Why not just admit i’m right?

Huh. I didn’t know that me training because I enjoy feeling healthy, energetic, and overall physically capable was actually because of external social pressures…

Not sure I can draw a parallel between my appreciation for the above, and societal norms especially when in modern society there is a current trend towards the opposite…

OP are you wearing a rug as a cape?

[quote]Im Yolked wrote:
pzehtoeur wrote:

I’m also pretty sure a lot of the people on the site don’t just train for women (granted, it is a nice side benefit). They train to better themselves and to achieve their goals. At least, that’s why I train. I don’t need to change myself so someone will like. That’s just being fake.

Think deeper…why do you want to achieve these goals?

Aside from pros, why do guys train for aesthetic enhancement?
There is no reason why anyone should pursue such a pass time in an age when physical ability means very little in the real world. Other than to gain the social approval of others and to attract the opposite sex due to the belief that it makes you look more desirable and boost your own ego.

This ‘I train for myself’ is BS. Whether you consciously know it or not, you train for wider social implications.

[/quote]

I train for my job is that deep enough for ya?

Pauline Nordin… killer

The ignore function was designed for people like that…

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

Why did you make a new username? Tool [/quote]

I’m Yolked is the new/old Jack Urboady.

[quote]GVkid wrote:
Huh. I didn’t know that me training because I enjoy feeling healthy, energetic, and overall physically capable was actually because of external social pressures…

Not sure I can draw a parallel between my appreciation for the above, and societal norms especially when in modern society there is a current trend towards the opposite…

OP are you wearing a rug as a cape?[/quote]

It’s a cloak. Capes are for flight and are badass. Cloaks are for douchebaggery and general toolbag behavior.

[quote]Im Yolked wrote:
Think deeper…why do you want to achieve these goals?

Aside from pros, why do guys train for aesthetic enhancement?
There is no reason why anyone should pursue such a pass time in an age when physical ability means very little in the real world. Other than to gain the social approval of others and to attract the opposite sex due to the belief that it makes you look more desirable and boost your own ego.

This ‘I train for myself’ is BS. Whether you consciously know it or not, you train for wider social implications.

[/quote]

I train to be stronger, faster, more agile, and have more endurance than the other guy. Why? Because I’m a bit of a survivor nut that truly believes bad things are coming, and luck will favor the prepared. I’ve lived this long, I’m going to make damn sure I can bring me and mine through the hard times. All the aesthetics are completely secondary, but I don’t complain about it.

Dammit, I hate getting dragged into making flame posts, but I’ve typed too much to erase it now.

All that being said, yes, Pauline Nordin is insanely hott.

[quote]pzehtoeur wrote:
I don’t need to change myself so someone will like. That’s just being fake. [/quote]

Yeah but look at what you can do with the bar. That is you in your avatar right?

[quote]Im Yolked wrote:

[/quote]

Think again. There have been numerous threads devoted to this. This may apply to some people but don’t cast the net over everyone. As a middle aged, female, power lifter I can’t imagine what the wider social implications would be to my training. I fall into the ‘feed the wolf inside’ camp.

Life experience will teach you that people are driven by different motivation.

[quote]Im Yolked wrote:
But who the hell would want to ‘train for themselves’? What kind of narcissistic prick would do that?
[/quote]

Me. I am a narcissistic prick.
Don’t assume you know why people do things. You’re still wet behind the ears kid.

Just imagine for a second that you were the only person in the world. Do you seriously think you would carry on lifting in the pursuit of vanity?

No.

Why?

Because there would be no one left to impress.

[quote]pzehtoeur wrote:
Im Yolked wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
Im Yolked wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
and find a real man to have relations with…

I guess you have no chance then…

Lol, I’m all set. I don’t alter who I am or what I do for women.

If someone doesn’t like me for who I am, then so be it.

Pussy doesn’t motivate me, I motivate myself.

Who are you tryin to convince here broseph?

I hope countingbeans doesn’t mind me typing/speaking on his behalf but he’s not trying to convince anyone. He doesn’t need to become somebody that he isn’t just so people will like him. In fact, I’m pretty sure people like him for who he is.

I’m also pretty sure a lot of the people on the site don’t just train for women (granted, it is a nice side benefit). They train to better themselves and to achieve their goals. At least, that’s why I train. I don’t need to change myself so someone will like. That’s just being fake. [/quote]

It can be argued that the motivation and mechanisms that make you want to better yourself “for you” are there to ensure a mate will find you attractive.

[quote]spyoptic wrote:
pzehtoeur wrote:
Im Yolked wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
Im Yolked wrote:
countingbeans wrote:

I hope countingbeans doesn’t mind me typing/speaking on his behalf but he’s not trying to convince anyone. He doesn’t need to become somebody that he isn’t just so people will like him. In fact, I’m pretty sure people like him for who he is.

I’m also pretty sure a lot of the people on the site don’t just train for women (granted, it is a nice side benefit). They train to better themselves and to achieve their goals. At least, that’s why I train. I don’t need to change myself so someone will like. That’s just being fake.

It can be argued that the motivation and mechanisms that make you want to better yourself “for you” are there to ensure a mate will find you attractive. [/quote]

Exactly. Good post. It is essentially innate.

[quote]Im Yolked wrote:

It can be argued that the motivation and mechanisms that make you want to better yourself “for you” are there to ensure a mate will find you attractive.

Exactly. Good post. It is essentially innate. [/quote]

You are still missing the point. Many of us don’t train for vanity.

[quote]spyoptic wrote:
pzehtoeur wrote:
Im Yolked wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
Im Yolked wrote:
countingbeans wrote:

It can be argued that the motivation and mechanisms that make you want to better yourself “for you” are there to ensure a mate will find you attractive. [/quote]

That’s true but I honestly have never thought of it that way. I train because it’s difficult. And by overcoming something difficult, I feel it makes me a better person. A more disciplined and focused person. Plus, a good handful of girls I know tell me that I shouldn’t try to become any bigger or whatever. But I just laugh it off because I don’t really care. I do it for myself, not someone else.

It’s always good to have a challenge and being able to overcome that challenge. Then you can look back and see how badass you were by being able to continually progress and never willing to give up.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
pzehtoeur wrote:
I don’t need to change myself so someone will like. That’s just being fake.

Yeah but look at what you can do with the bar. That is you in your avatar right?[/quote]

I overdosed on Alpha Male and Alpha-GPC one day.

[quote]Im Yolked wrote:
Just imagine for a second that you were the only person in the world. Do you seriously think you would carry on lifting in the pursuit of vanity?

No.

Why?

Because there would be no one left to impress. [/quote]

Do you wet yourself when there is a loud crack of thunder?

[quote]Im Yolked wrote:

No.

Why?

Please go back to playing “Dungeons and Dragons” in the park (which looking at your previous avatar pic is what you’re getting ready to do).

[quote]Im Yolked wrote:
Who are you tryin to convince here broseph?[/quote]

Why do you wear shades and have your hat like a poser?

[quote]Im Yolked wrote:

No.

Why?

lachefan1 asked you a question (see below). Are you going to answer it or are you going to reply to every other post except his?

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

I train for my job is that deep enough for ya?[/quote]

Now, not that I disagree that the pursuit of physical training is not driven in part by social pressures, but to assume that’s the only one (or the primary one) for the general training population runs counter to what we know about human nature (and history) - not to mention that is a gross, unsubstantiated generalization over the diversity of the human mind.

Or to dumb it down to your level of discourse, that’s pretty fucking dumb.