FightingScott's Log

5/27/2008

V-Bar Pushdown: 90X20X2
Reverse Hyper: 90X10X3
Standing Calf: 180X10X2 270X10
Seated Calf: 140X10 195X10
Concept II Row: 5 minutes
Bike: 10 minutes

I just want to be a bit leaner and have some bigger calves. Is that so much to ask? Just some 17’ calves. That’s all. Note to self: try Dante’s method of calf training.

Everything else was not stressful in any way.
I switched from the row to the bike because my back was getting a bit tired and I want to be feelin’ fresh tomorrow for Rack Deads. Goin’ for 545!

5/28/2008

Rack Deadlift: 475X1 545X0 545X000000

Some asshole decided to vacuume the floor around and underneath the power rack even though I was clearly trying to use it. The total disrespect for my personal space pissed me off quite a bit, and I was peeved even more by not being able to hear my own music or my own thoughts with someone vacuuming in my immediate vicinity.

But what really pissed me off was when this guy knocked over my shaker cup and spilled my shake everywhere, and just left so I could clean it up. This took forever since the brown, paper towels I used from the bathroom are the least absorbent substance on this planet. I ended up cleaning the rest of the shake off the rack and the floor by using my socks.

So, I left the gym barefoot, pissed off, and with a hardly completed training session that I need to complete today.

I think trying to do a “recovery” workout yesterday is what actually fucked me over.

I’ll go back later today and actually put in a real, complete workout. This isn’t the first time trying to do a recovery workout has fucked up my Max Effort training. So, FUCK ACTIVE RECOVERY DAYS!

I don’t know if I’ll do Rack Deads when I get back. I’m pretty sure I could get 525. I was also damn sure I could have gotten 545. Maybe I won’t do an ME Lift and I’ll do Leg Press or Overhead Squats instead. I dunno. I’m just so fucking pissed at myself. I’m glad I started keeping a log here, so now I can see how frequently I fuck up and have shitty workouts - a lot more often than I thought.

5/28/2008

Rack Deadlift: 525X1
SSB Step-up: 155X30
Reverse Hyper: 200X10 340X20 290X10
Machine Crunch: 16X5 Drop Set 14X10 14X8X2
Seated GM: 95X6 135X8

There. I went back and I kicked some ass.
Even though I’ve done 500X8 on Rack Deads before, 525 may very well be the hardest, most intense lift I have ever done. I didn’t see spots afterwords like I have after some lifts, but the straining required to finish that long, never-ending rep put a lot of blood in my head.

But, honestly, I didn’t really do this under the best of conditions. I just attempted 545 twice earlier this day and the day before I thought doing some cardio and reverse-hypers would actually help me when I think all it did was drain me.

The Safety Squat Bar Step-ups were, like whenever I do step-ups or lunges, 30 per leg. So that’s goin’ up 60 steps with a Brad Pitt ridin’ on your shoulders. I’m pretty pleased with that. I’d like to say it’s as impressive as the video I saw of someone doing 135X150 reps but I guess I’ll never know until I try it for myself. I think this set took around 3 minutes to complete. Maybe more, maybe less. It wasn’t too demanding for my legs. What stopped me was fatigue and a killer low-back pump.

So, without my “Active Recovery” workouts that I never really did until yesterday, here is my slightly revised template.

Day 1: ME Squat/DL
Day 2: Upper Assist (Chest/Delts/Tris)
Day 3: Horizontal Pulling (Upper Back/Bis)
Day 4: Off. Totally Off.
Day 5: DE Lower
Day 6: ME Bench
Day 7: Vertical Pulling (Upper Back/Bis)
Day 8: Off. No Physical Activity

Instead of doing Grip and Calves on day 4 and 8 I will do Grip on Day 1 and Day 5. I will do Calves on Day 2 and Day 6.

5/29/2008

HS Bench Press: 2X10 3X6 4X12 then a drop set
Dumbbell Press: 25X10 50X5 75X12
HS Shoulder Press: 1X10 2.5X6
Dumbbell Fly: 25X8 50X17 RP
V-Bar Pushdown: 110X10 160X8 200X10
Rolling Extensions: 25X8 45X8 55X5
Standing Calf Raise: Quite a Few

I feel pretty good about everything. I was shooting for 10 reps on the HS Bench Press and the Dumbbell Press but I was able to get 12. I wasn’t even sure the HS Shoulder Press would move when I tried it. But I want to at least get the 80s on the Dumbbell Press and 2.5 plates for 10 reps on the HS Shoulder Press before I test my Bench Press again. I really want to get the 85s on Dumbbell Press just so I can use the Dumbbells with 4 plates per side.

I also think that would pretty much guarentee me a 275lb Max on Bench. But I’m hoping that the 80s would be enough for that. It all depends on how I feel when I try the 80s next time I do Dumbbell Press. I won’t know for a while since I should cycle out Dumbbell Press for another exercise so I don’t burn out. Same with the HS Bench Press and the HS Shoulder Press.

5/30/2008

Kroc Row: 105X8 150X30
HS Iso=Row: 5.5X15 6X6
Kelso Shrugs: Are uncomfortable
Dumbbell Seated Power Clean: 45X23 RP
Decline Crunch: BWX20X2
Dumbbell Curl: 50X14 Drop Set

I had planned to do 25 reps for rows and 12 reps for Hammer Rows, but I had the extra juice and I went for it. Looks like my Dumbbell Seated Power Cleans are going to overtake my curling poundages soon. I’ve started to use a big more English on these and I’m actually feeling it a lot more in the rear delts with the heavier weight.

I think I’ll have to switch things up for back next week so I don’t burn out on Dumbbell Rows and Hammer Rows. I think, just for the sake of variety, I might end up doing a lot of DD-Cable Low Rows or 1-Arm Cable Pulldowns do get a bearing on how close I am to doing a 1-arm pull-up.

If only my Press and Bench Press numbers would increase like my pulling numbers do.

6/1/2008

Barbell Jump Squat: 105X5X5
SSB Step-up: 65X6 155X3 205X3 205X15
Glute-Ham Raise: BWX5 45X15
Reverse Hyper: 180X5 360X10
Leg Extensions: 90X10 210X11 220X14
Dumbbell Side Bend: 65X10 135X10

I’m Still doing Step-ups onto a 16 inch Box Squat Box.

And I’m still counting the reps per leg, so I took 30 steps to complete this set. I didn’t strain much but I was tired and unstable. Couldn’t find the vice clips for the Safety Squat Bar today, so after much searching I Macgyvered some tighter bar claps by shoving some folded paper in between the narrow bar sleeves and the Olympic Sized coil bar clamps.

Did Leg Extensions instead of backwards sled dragging. Saw Justin Harris had done some in his log so I thought what the hell.

This Glute-Ham is a different bench than the one I did more reps with 45lbs on. It’s got the tilted EliteFTS pad so it’s a bit different. Once I lower the foot plate I think I’ll be able to break the 20 rep barrier with 45lbs.

Didn’t go crazy on Dumbbell Side Bends. Don’t wanna fuck up Zercher Squats for the next ME Lower Body workout.

6/2/2008

Floor Press: 205X3 225X1 250X0 250X1
Dumbbell Press: 45X6 80X5
Pec Deck: Is a Silly Exercise
Push-up: 30
Skull Crusher: 120X4
V-Bar Pushdown: 100X10 200X4

Even though my Back is way stronger than any other part of me, the Bar still floated above my neck as I pressed.

It’s once again become painfully obvious that I just need to be Bench Pressing more. As my Supplementary and Accessory exercises continue to rise, I’m getting absolutely no carryover to my Flat, normal-grip, Pressing power. I don’t know what my weak point is. It’s not my shoulders, triceps, grip, lats, or upper back. It’s just me not doing a lot of normal, flat bench press.

Last time I did Floor Press I maxed out at 225. I had just maxed a 225 Bench Press a week earlier. So maybe my Bench Press is above 250, maybe below. I can’t be sure. I did 225X3 on close grip a while ago. I don’t think it’s out of the question for me to have a Close-Grip max of 250 and a Flat Bench Press max of 265.

I think I’m going to go back to the “Beast Building” style of Triples at 80, Doubles at 95, and Singles at 90 for Max Sets in 20 minutes. Do 4 weeks of that, then one or two workouts of something else to Deload, then test again and hopefully get 275 for my new Bench Press max. So, yeah, that’s the plan. I’ll do the “Beast Building” Muscle Skill Acquisition workouts on my two Pressing days of the week with an assumed max of 265. I did just do Dumbbell Press with the 80s, so I think using 265 as a base number is a safe bet.

I think while I’m doing “Just Bench” I will still do heavy barbell moves like the floor press and military press as assistance exercises for reps of 6-15.

If I hit 455 on my Zercher Squat coming up for ME Lower, I won’t change a thing for my Squat/DL training but if I don’t get it I’ll reconsider just doing “Beast Building Phase 1” as my entire training program.

I didn’t do Calves because I wanted to leave.

6/3/2008

Weighted Chin: BWX5 35X3 70X1 105X1 70X2X5
HS High-Row: 3X5 4.5X12
Straight-Arm Pulldown: 60X10
Dumbbell Seated Snatch: 30X3 45X4 65X1
Dumbbell Reverse Fly: 25X11
Barbell Curl: 45X6 95X6 135X0
Decline Crunch: BWX60
Hanging Leg Raise: 20

I think I got more lateral deltoid with the reverse flys on an incline bench. I’ll just do them bent over next time.

Almost fell over doing 65 pounds on the seated snatch. I’ll try more reps next time.

6/5/2008

Zercher Squat: 405X1 455X1 405X1
Cambered Bar GM: 135X6X2 160X6 185X10
Reverse Hyper: 200X10
Machine Crunch: 8X10 16X15 18X3 16X10
Leg Extension: 250X10
Dumbbell Curl: 55X15 RP
COC: TX3 1X3X2

Pretty pumped about a 455 Zercher Squat. Then I got the cambered bar out. I keep a measuring tape in my bag to make sure my box heights for Squats and Step-ups are consistent from gym to gym and for other stuff. The Height I do my Zerchers at is the same as it would be if I just did them off the ground with an EliteFTS rackable cambered Squat/GM Bar. It was uneven when I picked it up off the pins and I had a pretty long strain but it wasn’t as hard as my 525 Rack Pull felt. I did come really close to shitting myself on the 455 and on my last 405.

I am totally in love with the Cambered Squat Bar. The bar hits the safety pins so I know when I’ve gone down far enough on a GM. Even though it’s more challenging than a Straight-Bar GM, you really get a lot more out of the movement. You don’t find yourself going “Am I doing this right?” The Bar throws you into a Good-Morning. It really works the spinal erectors in the midback, which is something I never feel unless I’m maxing out on Deadlifts. I will defiantly be using this bar a lot.

PRs everywhere else but the reverse hyper. I’m not really concerned with the weight there anymore now that I’ve discovered the wounders of Cambered Bar Good-Mornings.

6/6/08

Bench: 215X3X2 215X2 215X3 215X2 215X1
Dips: BWX10
Dumbbell Front Raise: 45X9 50X6
Rolling Floor Extensions: 65X6
Pushdown: 110X10 200X12

You should know that this pushdown machine is on a double pulley system (like most cable crossover machines) so I’m really only doing half the work (it would be 100 pounds if I did it on a Lat-Pulldown).

6/7/08

HS Iso-Row: Worked up to 7 Plates X 5 and 6
Chest-Supported T-Bar: 4X9 5X1 4.5X5
Dumbbell PC: 50s for some reps
Face Pull: 120 for some reps
DB Curlz: 55X18 RP
Decline Crunch: BWX10 25X10

Took a break from Kroc Rows. Cheated like Hell on the Hammer Rows. The Chest-Supported T-Bar requires me to Row to my nipples instead of my waist, so I don’t think it’s getting much lats. A lot of rear delts and middle traps but not a lot of lats.

I kept on getting picked up off the ground doing face pulls. I might just have to do them on the Low Cable Row from now on.

I had planned to do DD-Cable Rows as my main event but I wanted to see if I could get 7 plates on the Iso Row. What a silly machine. I had planned to only use 6 plates as well and go for what should have been a very doable 12 reps. But I blew my load trying to throw around 7 plates. I’ll get it soon enough for some cleaner reps.

Whatevz.

Is this the machine you are using for rows?

http://us.commercial.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/iso-lateralrowing

[quote]gabex wrote:
Is this the machine you are using for rows?

http://us.commercial.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/iso-lateralrowing

[/quote]

That’s the one. 7 was too heavy and I wouldn’t count that as a good set but that’s what I did that day. 5 Plates and a 25 on each side isn’t a problem. I think the Hammer Machines are great for feeling the movement in the lats. I think their Pulldown Machine is O.K. but I prefer their High-Row Machine.

Sweet. That’s the one I use, too. I really like it. I am up to 4 plates on each side for 10 reps. I do 1 arm at a time, supinated grip.

Edit: I forgot to post my question.

Do you change up grips? Do you know how each grip works the back?

[quote]gabex wrote:
Sweet. That’s the one I use, too. I really like it. I am up to 4 plates on each side for 10 reps. I do 1 arm at a time, supinated grip.

Edit: I forgot to post my question.

Do you change up grips? Do you know how each grip works the back?[/quote]

I use the supinated grip on the High-Row and the neutral grip on the Iso-Row.

If you use the pronated grip on the High-Row, I think you get more of the Mid-Trap/Upper Back area the same way you would for wide-grip pull-ups as opposed to chin-ups. But if you use the supinated grip I think you’re pulling more with your lats.

I think if you want to focus on lats, then using one arm may be best. I’ve noticed that in both pulling and stretching I’m able to feel my lats more if I’m rowing with one arm or stretching one side at a time. But if I want to get more upper back, then I’ll stretch both sides at the same time or pull with both arms.

6/9/2008

Standing Broad Jump: 8’10" 8’8" 9’ 9’.25" 8’8"
SSB Step-up 205X3 225X3 245X6
Glute-Ham Raise: BWX6 45X12 BWX10X4
Reverse Hyper: 90X10 180X10 270X10
Backward Sled Drag: 4 plates X 2 trips
Dumbbell Side Bend: 105X10 150X6
COC: TX6 1X7 1X5 1X2
Dumbbell Curl: 55X25 RP

I’m pretty happy about the SSB Step-up. I didn’t go to failure because the Power Rack wasn’t available.

I’ll take a 9 foot standing broad jump as long as I’m able to improve later. I know Frank Yang has 10 foot something, so I’d like to get above 10 feet.

My guns are puny so I’ve been doing a rest-pause set of Dumbbell Curls every other day. I’m moving up pretty fast with Rest-Pause and I’m hoping that somewhere in the not so distant future I’ll be doing a set with 70s and have some moderately huge arms to show for my efforts.

I used way too much weight on the Sled Drag. I’ll be taking it down to 3 plates and that’ll probably kick my ass. Asphalt is way harder than smooth concrete. I bet grass is even harder. So to everyone maxing out the weight stack on Leg Extensions, this IS harder. A lot harder. If you post back here and say that I’m wrong, then go fuck yourself. I’ve done both. I know what the fuck I’m talking about.

6/10/2008

Bench Press: Worked up to 225X3 225X0 185X7
Dumbbell Press: 50X6 80X0

I hate myself. I hate my life. I hate the Bench Press. My Bench Press is apparently the same as my Close-Grip Bench Press. The exact same. It’s probably the same as my Dumbbell Bench Press as well. Fuck. Maybe my Close-Grip is more. I did 225X3 on Close-Grip nearly a month ago.

I should have hit 225X3 a year ago at the very least given what I was doing on assistance exercises and all that bullshit. I’m a fool.

I only hope I can get rid of the self-hatred I’m feeling right now in time to Deadlift 455 a few days from now.

Fuck Central Nervous System fatigue. Fuck all that. Here’s my plan for Bench Press. Next time I bench, I’m going to bench 225 for at least 4 reps. That’s the plan. I’ll just keep adding reps until I get to 10. Then I’ll increase the weight and use that weight until I get to 10. It works for everyone else. And everyone else benches more than me.

I am exactly the same way at bench. My #'s aren’t the same as yours… but I had refused to barbell bench forever. I lifted at my college gym, and just about every bench was always taken. The people that benched were the same that curled in the squat rack. I relied on heavy weighted dips and dumbbell work.

When I started WS4SB1, I did weighted dips for the first 3 wks for ME upper. I tihnk I got up to 115x3. Then I started benching. With little warm up, I was able to bench 185. After that I could not do shit. I wasn’t sore, worn out or anything, just felt cns fatigue.

I’ve been rotating bench and incline bench every 3 wks. I am still stuck around 185x3 after doing a few work sets. Funny thing is, on my upper RE/DE day last week, I was able to do 145x8x3 close grip after doing 8x3 speed bench.

I stick a few inches off my chest, but have no problem with lockout. I am trying to bring it up. Maybe I’ll try your method next week.

[quote]gabex wrote:
I am exactly the same way at bench. [/quote]

Yeah. A year ago I maxed out on Dips with 135. I did 105 for some reps a while ago.

I’ve done 100lb dumbbells on Incline for some reps as well as doing 105s for 5 reps just 2 weeks ago.

For Dumbbell Shoulder Press I’ve done 80s for 6 reps. For Close-Grip Bench I’ve done 225X3. I’ve even been able to do a Behind-the-Neck Jerk with 225.

My entire mentality behind training bench for more than a year now has been “My Bench sucks, so I’ll fix every week point by dominating my supplementary exercises. If I make this or that go up 20 pounds, then my bench should skyrocket.” But my Bench never has skyrocketed.

I think I could Bench 120lb Dumbbells if someone handed them to me. I think with the increased strength I’ve gotten since I BTN Jerked 225 I might be able to do 255.

But whenever I’ve dedicated myself to moving up in poundages in these exercises, I’ve managed to move up pretty quickly. So now I’m just hoping that I’ll move up fast in the Bench Press.

6/11/2008

HS Shoulder Press: 2.5X16 RP
Weighted Chins: BWX5 35X1 70X5
HS High Row: 3X5 5X10
HS Pullover: 90X8 180X5 270X5
Machine Reverse Fly: 90X10 120X18
Dumbbell Curl: 60X12RP
Cable Curl: 70X10 150X4 (Hurts Wrists)
Decline Crunch: BWX15 45X10
Hammer Curl: 75X25 RP

Fuckin’ A! I can’t seem to get any higher reps with 70 pounds on Weighted Chins. I’ve gotten 6 reps before. I was expecting to get 10 today but I still haven’t improved there.

I did make some considerable PRs in everything else, though. And I think once I hit the Pullover Machine again I will be able to up the reps I got.

I did the HS Shoulder Press to make up for how badly I sucked yesterday. It doesn’t make up for it entirely but I still doubled the amount of reps I normally do with that weight. I hope to get 3 plates on each side next time. I didn’t get many reps in the rest-pause sets I did after the very first set. I got 12 reps on the very first set. But Flat Barbell Bench Press will still be the cornerstone of my Upper Body training. I think my low bench press is probably holding back my Chinning numbers and preventing me from crushing PRs there.

Survived a tribunal. Whatever. I was surprised that I was invited in the first place. I was also surprised that I could only do 225X3 on Bench. Guess yesterday was just one of those days: full of surprises.