T Nation

Fighting the Clock.

I will admit that a big reason I'm restarting my weightlifting program is because the clock is ticking.

If you don't use it, ya lose it, right?

I've always been fit and in decent shape my whole life just by my daily activities.

Now, a belly has formed. I have white whiskers to shave.

I'm so glad I found this place.

Here, there are men in their 40s and 50s who are pushing and pulling very impressive amounts of weight.

Here, I have found resolve to push harder and hang on a little longer.

I used to think that fighting age was a shallow reason for working out.

Now, I don't care about that. At least I'm working out.

[quote]James_T_Kirk wrote:
I will admit that a big reason I’m restarting my weightlifting program is because the clock is ticking.

If you don’t use it, ya lose it, right?

I’ve always been fit and in decent shape my whole life just by my daily activities.

I’m so glad I found this place.

Here, there are men in their 40s and 50s who are pushing and pulling very impressive amounts of weight.

Now, I don’t care about that. At least I’m working out.

[/quote]

Welcome Captain Kirk!

We aren’t fighting age or “working out”, we are all training for life. It changes your attitude to train for something rather than “work out”. Some of us train for powerlifting, some train for In-Line skating, some for Olympic lifts, some for bodybuilding, etc…

We all train for life!

Have you seen William Shatner lately? That is a pretty good reason to work out. I would hate to end up looking like him.

[quote]soldog wrote:
James_T_Kirk wrote:
I will admit that a big reason I’m restarting my weightlifting program is because the clock is ticking.

If you don’t use it, ya lose it, right?

I’ve always been fit and in decent shape my whole life just by my daily activities.

I’m so glad I found this place.

Now, I don’t care about that. At least I’m working out.

Welcome Captain Kirk!

We aren’t fighting age or “working out”, we are all training for life. It changes your attitude to train for something rather than “work out”. Some of us train for powerlifting, some train for In-Line skating, some for Olympic lifts, some for bodybuilding, etc…

We all train for life! [/quote]

I agree with Dog… I have always been a gym rat through the years, but never really had any focus or goals other than to look decent.

I decided about a year ago I needed motivation, and powerlifting seems to be the focus of my attention currently. Had one competition… had a great time and met some super people. I am hooked now, and stronger than I have ever been at 43 years of age.

Find something to shoot for… strongman, powerlifting, bodybuilding, an upcoming vacation, arm wrestling meet, high school reunion… something. Leave no stone unturned, enjoy life and do everything you want.

My new motto… “Die Empty”.