Fighting Over Stuff You Know

[quote]csulli wrote:
I’d like to say shove it in their face and set em straight, but in my experience these situations have only arisen with friends and family or at least people who are like, really, really nice to me. I have no desire to trample on them. All I can do is just sort of smile and go “Hmm”.[/quote]

I swear to fuckin’ God, if Gramma starts mouthin’ off at Xmas about how I have to eat 6 meals a day to put on any size, I’m going to pop her in the kisser.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:
I’d like to say shove it in their face and set em straight, but in my experience these situations have only arisen with friends and family or at least people who are like, really, really nice to me. I have no desire to trample on them. All I can do is just sort of smile and go “Hmm”.[/quote]

I swear to fuckin’ God, if Gramma starts mouthin’ off at Xmas about how I have to eat 6 meals a day to put on any size, I’m going to pop her in the kisser.[/quote]

She’s probably thinking the same thing about you! She’s probably tired of wondering DYEL and trying to explain to all the ladies she works out with at Curves why her “bodybuilding” grandson is so small.

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

She’s probably thinking the same thing about you! She’s probably tired of wondering DYEL and trying to explain to all the ladies she works out with at Curves why her “bodybuilding” grandson is so small.[/quote]

I told you, I have an overactive thyroid!

[quote]sen say wrote:

So, my question is how how do you lot handle situations where you know tons more than the moron you’re talking to? I know most of us won’t offer advice in the gym, but what about normal everyday events?

[/quote]

Saturday night, I got cornered at a cocktail party by an anti-circumcision crusader who also happened to hate Israel.

Anyway, one of my ears is a little messed-up looking from the bomb that killed my wife. I hear fine, mind you, but it looks plausible that I might be deaf.

I pretended to be very hard of hearing and had the guy screaming his opinions at the top of his lungs, while I kept saying “what” “what did you say?”

Fuck man that sucks Jewbacca, a picture of Chewbacca appeared in my fb feed while holding an israel flag and it was labelled Jewbacca I wanted to tell the whole internet that it is not an original joke someone on T-Nation did it first but it would have been pissing in the wind. My parents always try to tell me weightlifting will mess back up and It’ll turn to fat or you I can’t keep it up I just laugh and say you’ll see!

For being pro or anti Israel thats always a hard issue, you take Palestine’s side and you seem anti Semitic terrorist supporter, you take Israels side and it makes you look like you support apartheid either way I don’t touch that subject I hope for peace one day in that region. I think theers level headed people on each side it’s just the hardcore people on either side that ruin it for everybody.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]sen say wrote:

So, my question is how how do you lot handle situations where you know tons more than the moron you’re talking to? I know most of us won’t offer advice in the gym, but what about normal everyday events?

[/quote]

Saturday night, I got cornered at a cocktail party by an anti-circumcision crusader who also happened to hate Israel.

Anyway, one of my ears is a little messed-up looking from the bomb that killed my wife. I hear fine, mind you, but it looks plausible that I might be deaf.

I pretended to be very hard of hearing and had the guy screaming his opinions at the top of his lungs, while I kept saying “what” “what did you say?”[/quote]

I hate people sometimes. Not very often, but sometimes.

If the topic is an area of knowledge relating to my education or profession, then I may debate the person. Though when it comes to fitness and nutrition I don’t bother, I find people bring things up just so they can say exactly what you are doing wrong. Or they state something so outrageous it automatically ends the conversation because you cannot have a rational discussion about a fundamentally irrational premise.

For instance, I encountered a woman who shredded her food before eating because she heard the process reduces the amount of calories and fat in the meal. I figure if someone believes that, then there is nothing I can say to make them think otherwise.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

I swear to fuckin’ God, if Gramma starts mouthin’ off at Xmas about how I have to eat 6 meals a day to put on any size, I’m going to pop her in the kisser.[/quote]

You better watch yourself. Gramma may come back at you with a left hook and an uppercut.

For older generations, a time out meant time OUT!

In my book arguing about stuff you know is manshit 101. More often than not someone is just trying to converse about some common ground, and on the off chance that they aren’t I just let them bloviate. Once they’re finished and feel secure that they have told you something that you really needed to know they usually just wander away feeling better about themselves.

I always like the good ole standby, “Agree to disagree.” While said with eyebrows raised and no smile.

It pretty much lets them know that you think they’re an idiot, but you also don’t want to talk about this anymore.

Gestures like that are undoubtedly why I’m such a popular guy.

One time a typhoon passed by Taiwan and Taipei (the capital city where I live) was realtively untouched, as it is during most typhoons. This is thanks to all the mountains that the city is surrounded by.

A know-it-all coworker mentioned the day after the typhoon that she didn’t think it was that bad…here’s how our conversation went:

Me: “Yeah, I was surprised the first couple of times too, then someone told me that it’s thanks to all the mountains around the city that we don’t get it that badly.” (See…I side with her to show that I learned this after a couple of typhoons and was also surprised)

Her: “Well…maybe.”

Me: “Um…no, that’s pretty much it. We don’t get it that bad but coastal cities and towns get the full brunt of it.” ( State the facts again, still rather gently I’d say.)

Her: “Well…I dunno.” (The old “I dunno” that she actually wants to say YOU don’t know.)

Me: (long inhale and slow exhale)…“Please die now.”

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
I always like the good ole standby, “Agree to disagree.” While said with eyebrows raised and no smile.

It pretty much lets them know that you think they’re an idiot, but you also don’t want to talk about this anymore.

Gestures like that are undoubtedly why I’m such a popular guy.[/quote]

Well, they are undoubtedly impressed that you have raised your eyebrows.

I’ve seen your eyebrows: they look heavy.

Just try to be everybody’s bro. Who gives a fuck what shit they spout and ultimately I’ll say (in regards to BB) everybody body different and this works best for me.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
In my book arguing about stuff you know is manshit 101. More often than not someone is just trying to converse about some common ground, and on the off chance that they aren’t I just let them bloviate. Once they’re finished and feel secure that they have told you something that you really needed to know they usually just wander away feeling better about themselves.

[/quote]
I have mastered the art of silence, I let people wax on and say nothing.

You get strange looks when they wander off.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

[/quote]
I have mastered the art of silence, I let people wax on and say nothing.

You get strange looks when they wander off. [/quote]

That strategy comes with some risk though. I’ve been mistaken for having something wrong with me because I don’t usually engage in those conversations. On the odd chance that I do though, I’ll just wait for an arbitrary point to interject- “You don’t know what you are talking about.”. That will always get a response cuz thems fightin words. As they continue I’ll throw in an “I can’t believe you just said that!” or an “Oh for fucks sake, man…” just to keep things interesting.

I’ve brought a couple of guys to the point of throwing down over trucks and welding machines with simple statements like those.

This isn’t a fight or argument type of situation, but I’ve thought about it for several days. A friend posted this FB status, “I have sooo many things I am going to let go of, try and change about myself, and move forward when the New Year comes. I am not going to say new years resolution because I will not break this step forward in my life.”

She’s not asking for advice, but I I hate to see someone all full of good intentions, and IMO, on the road to failure. - “Hey, I’m going to be a whole new person next year!” Do you Ignore? Give a thumbs up? Or do you try to tell someone to start with just a couple of small changes NOW.

I don’t know why it bothered me so much.

Tell them you’re happy they recognize areas of their life they’d like to improve and that you’ll support them no matter what direction their journey takes them.

Never Underestimate the Power of Human Stupidity !

The perversity of the Universe tends towards the extremes.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

[/quote]

It bothered you because it doesn’t make any sense. I’ve read it about three times. It’s Oprah feel-good emotional masturbation that signifies nothing other than the person who wrote it is not actually ready for change.

I would ignore it (and her) and not get drawn into the drama.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
This isn’t a fight or argument type of situation, but I’ve thought about it for several days. A friend posted this FB status, “I have sooo many things I am going to let go of, try and change about myself, and move forward when the New Year comes. I am not going to say new years resolution because I will not break this step forward in my life.”

She’s not asking for advice, but I I hate to see someone all full of good intentions, and IMO, on the road to failure. - “Hey, I’m going to be a whole new person next year!” Do you Ignore? Give a thumbs up? Or do you try to tell someone to start with just a couple of small changes NOW.

[/quote]

Do you think it bothers you because you know she will fail?