T Nation

Fighting Narrow Shoulders(Clavicles)

Hey guys. I'm 17 years old and I have genetically small clavicles. It makes me look very small especially when clothing is worn. Some people told me that heavy pullovers will stretch my clavicles and pullups will broaden my shoulders up. I haven't seen any real changes from that. Can anyone tell me if I can get my clavicles and deltoids wider or any other ways to get wider?

Fighting genetics can be tough. Generally you can change your bone structure (except for maybe those craxy shin-lengethening surguries, but I wouldn’t recommend that).
The best thing to do is focus on slapping a good deal of muscle on your delts, back and upper chest. Also get your waistline tight. A good V taper will make you appear wider up top.

They say that the first Mr. Olympia Larry Scott had the same issue, but you would never know it thanks to a heavily muscled upper torso and slim waist.

Dude, your shoulders are big and wide! I can see your lats from the front! You are broad. Now you just have to fill out. You want to build some big traps, and a big upper chest.

For traps, google “Building the Yoke” by Jim Wendler. For upper chest, get on those incline dumbbell presses! Check out some old school pictures of Pat Casey for inspiration. You even kinda look like Pat Casey.

^I agree 100%. In fact, I’d say your clavicle width is above average. So in terms of potential ‘problem areas,’ you may find your traps will tend to lag behind the rest of your upper body (which in fact they seem to doing in the photo). In that regard, you might find the following article helpful:

The clavicles cannot be stretched, though their angle can be changed somewhat with time to a more horizontal position. This is just a question of habitual posture and practicing pulling the shoulders down to get a stretch of the traps and levator scapulae. Strengthening lats, rhomboids, and lower traps will improve your shoulder posture too.

From the aesthetic standpoint, many do fine with your present clavicular angle, but (personal opinion) it seems to me that with your neck height, which puts your chin not that far above your present shoulder height, with much increase in your traps – which is needed - more horizontal clavicles would give a better appearance.

On the shoulder development, I think you’re already doing a good job for 17! And/or have good genetics for medial delts.

There are a number of excellent shoulder articles in the site. I particularly recommmend the one Christian Thibaudeau wrote recently: https://www.T-Nation.com/training/growth-factor-shoulder-training

More gold should fix this problem

Great insight Bill! To make the chest more prominent, and the shoulders wider, use the middle back to pull the shoulders back and down! It’s like rule #1 from the golden age of bodybuilding!

When a pretty girl walks by on the beach, you squeeze your shoulders together and puff out your chest. So simple it’s brilliant.

Yesterday I did pulldowns with a grip just wide enough that my forearms were 90 degrees to the floor. I sat extremely straight, and pulled down right in front of my face. Sets of 20, really slow, with just light weight. After that I did some chin ups with a V-Grip handle, trying to pull my sternum to the handle.

Today my lats and mid back are pumped! My shoulders are pulled back, and my chest is stuck out like a fighting rooster! I’m stuck in Imaginary Lat Syndrome posture, and my arms arm bowed in “try me” position.

I feel like going to the beach to kick sand on skinny guys!

[quote]samara.mark wrote:
They say that the first Mr. Olympia Larry Scott had the same issue, but you would never know it thanks to a heavily muscled upper torso and slim waist.[/quote]
Yep. Larry Scott is often considered an example of narrow clavicles, but by building muscle everywhere, his physique turned out pretty okay. :wink: (Worth noting, though, is that he and Frank Zane were of the mindset that you should actually minimize upper trap growth to avoid taking away from the appearance of shoulder-width. But that’s a bit more advanced than we need to worry about right now.)

You can’t change your collarbones any more than you can change your height. It is what it is, and you just need to do the best you can.

Like the guys have said, you’re really in a great spot right now. I’d be interested to know exactly what your training week looks like (the days, exercises, sets, and reps) to see how we can consider making some adjustments.

Just ran across this. I’d never seen it before.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Just ran across this. I’d never seen it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwXAOutVIaA [/quote]
Taking Larry Scott’s delt-training advice is like taking Tom Platz’s quad-training advice. Not exactly a bad idea.

Some good cues when he was talking laterals (leaning forward a bit and elbow position). I’ve also used a version of that first exercise, basically the first part (the first 3/5, ha) of an Arnold press that excluded the overhead press to remove tri work. So, taking the DBs from chin level then rotating out and up to about ear level.

Chris buddy, you seem like a good guy.

But you’re small, weak and not particularly lean. Clearly the advice you give is not being used on yourself.

I cannot understand how people can see your physique, and then take advice from you.

I suggest you follow your own advice, get bigger/stronger/leaner, and then start dispensing advice again.

Cheers.

^?

Really?

[quote]Jchuber wrote:

But you’re small, weak and not particularly lean. Clearly the advice you give is not being used on yourself.

I cannot understand how people can see your physique, and then take advice from you.

I suggest you follow your own advice, get bigger/stronger/leaner, and then start dispensing advice again.

Cheers.[/quote]

lol, just what we need. Another dick.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Jchuber wrote:

Cheers.[/quote]

lol, just what we need. Another dick.[/quote]

Dick? He’s more like a pussy. Only pussies throw sucker punches. Only pathetic little pussies create an account to write one passive aggressive post and disappear.

[quote]Jchuber wrote:

I suggest you follow your own advice, get bigger/stronger/leaner, and then start dispensing advice again.[/quote]
Let’s see:

Chub, I appreciate your opinion, but really…

[quote]Jchuber wrote:

Cheers.[/quote]

Do you actually have any issue with the advice Chris has given so we can debate like grown ups? Or are you just trying to knee cap other people online so your dick doesn’t feel so small?

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Jchuber wrote:

Cheers.[/quote]

That’s just what I need! Just imagine the possibilities of having another dick. It would be incredible!

As to the OP… I’ll echo what others have said already. You don’t look like you have narrow clavicles. You look like you’ve got a great structural base IMO. And fwiw, I think these issues matter very little. If you can build an appreciable amount of muscle, these issues seem to disappear, with little exception. These things are generally only brought up by beginners.

Aaron Clark was called out in his thread he started years ago for having clavicles too narrow to ever be a decent bodybuilder. Google Aaron Clark and see how that worked out for him.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Jchuber wrote:

Cheers.[/quote]

That’s just what I need! Just imagine the possibilities of having another dick. It would be incredible![/quote]

Now you’ve got me thinking. More dicks… chicks with dicks… twice the fun! Buying a plane ticket to Thailand!

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Jchuber wrote:

Cheers.[/quote]

That’s just what I need! Just imagine the possibilities of having another dick. It would be incredible![/quote]

Now you’ve got me thinking. More dicks… chicks with dicks… twice the fun! Buying a plane ticket to Thailand![/quote]

But if you had another dick, where’d you put it? You couldn’t just put it next to your other dick because unless you find a girl with two vaginas your other boner’s just going to get squashed up against her.

Oh sure, there’s always the double penetration angle in such a scenario, but not every chick you meet’s going to be up for that, and even out of the ones that are, they won’t always have the perfect distance from v-hole to a-hole to make it feasible.

Nope, I don’t think having an extra dick would be all that practical.