T Nation

Fighting Islamic State, Question for Christians

A few of my friends have gone to fight against Islamic State, two for the Kurdish Militia's and one for a Christian militia which he joined after initially going to fight for the Pesh.

I have been thinking of doing the same for around a year, however my girlfriend and wife to be has said I have a duty to her and to uphold the promise I made to her to marry and start a family with her. She also claims our Religion forbids it, her family are extremely devout Christians from Germany and her family has a history of refusing to serve the German military during ww2, which lead to persecution.

She claims that Christians can not fight the wars of men, can not support any political movements and so forth. I am a Christian but admit to not being the most devout or learned, I am nominal at best, but still believe in the message, despite not being perfect.

I am looking for advice from Christians to respond to her claims and offer their own advice on the subject:

1. She claims I should respect my parents and they have forbidden me to go

2. She claims it isn't permitted for Christians to fight in political wars or engage in man made political process or participate in the state

3. She claims I can't go and fight as to do so would be to break the vow I made to her to marry and raise a family with her

4. She claims going to fight in a foreign country in an external war is not in line with Jesus's message of love and mercy and can't be justified in gods eyes

Any Christians please offer me some guidance, thank you and god bless.

Arguments in this case, no matter how cogent, no matter how true, will amount to nothing.

Your girlfriend has her mind made up. Now you have to make up yours. Are you going to choose her and a family together, or are you going to choose war? There is no way for you to have both.

It sounds like a very hard decision, and either choice you make will, in my opinion as a Catholic, be an honorable one. But it will have to be one or the other.

Good luck and God bless.

Now, if you still want to arm yourself with the the logic to support your decision to go to war, read up on Thomas Aquinas' conditions for determination of a just war.

http://www.catholic.com/documents/just-war-doctrine

Personally, I think if there is anything that fits the definition of a just war, fighting the Islamic State is it.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Sir,
No disrespect, but, are you even trained for war? military or para military training? been in combat? Seen the dead and walked over body parts? its not a video game and unless you have experience then you are doing your wife and your family a vast disservice. Unless you have been trained for urban combat and have combat experience, find a different way to fight the filth of ISIS, or, you will not last 3 days in combat. Think about it.

I don't want to get into my background because of PERSEC, however I would just like to address this specific point. One of my friends who went over has a history with the special forces however the other two had none.

One of them is fighting with the YPG who have had the most success against ISIS and have taken more terrirtory from them and retaken more villages and towns from them than the Peshmerga, the Syrian regime and the FSA.

Almost zero of them have any military training whatsoever, they have young and old women in their ranks and have a severe lack of arms. My friend was in one of the units that took back Kobani against overwhelming odds, a group of around 30 YPG fighters killed 85 ISIS fighters and offered such fierce resistance that over a hundred IS fighters fled.

I think people overestimate the need for military training in a guerrilla war. My other SF friend left the Peshmerga because they were so inactive by comparrison, despite being much better trained and armed they do not have the same effectiveness.

He has left them and is fighting with the Christian Militia who are allied with the YPG and other volunteer militia's who are for the most part civillians with zero combat experience.

Thank you for the honest advice and the kind words.

Ok, I am not going argue with you or disrespect your decisions and this will be my last post on the issue, based on personal experience.

"Almost zero of them have any military training whatsoever, they have young and old women in their ranks and have a severe lack of arms. My friend was in one of the units that took back Kobani against overwhelming odds, a group of around 30 YPG fighters killed 85 ISIS fighters and offered such fierce resistance that over a hundred IS fighters fled"

This is pure luck or false numbers. 30 fighters killed 85 ISIS animals and then 100 animals fled from the fighters. I was briefed on the retaking of Kobani, this was not part of the information given. think about it: 30 fighters defeat 185? with AK's?

" I think people overestimate the need for military training in a guerrilla war"

------NO, simply no. The desire to fight and protect your homeland only goes so far and then your luck runs out. Absolutely no disrespect to your religious beliefs, but, GOD is never around on the battlefield when you need him.

I guess, I just want you go into this with your eyes wide open. whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck.

did you stop and think maybe it is not about being a christian?
War people die
people come back f--ked up
mentally
physicaly
how many come back without problems
maybe she just does not want to lose you?

No disrespect intended, but if you are a Christian, then you should be seeking guidance on this issue through prayer, not from an anonymous message board on a bodybuilding website.

Where does the OP live? Is he an American living in the United States?