T Nation

Fighting Back Against Anorexia

This time last year I was around 120lbs, after 3 years of becoming increasingly anorexic. Today I’m weighing in at 155lbs, at 20 y.o. and 5ft 11. I’ve still got a hell of a long way to go, but I’m just wondering how I’m coming along. I’ve still struggled with stuff along the way, so haven’t made as much progress as I could have (and still am having some trouble,) but any criticisms are welcomed, thankyou

(N.B. First pic is from last year, the others are from now)

Back Double Bi

Front

Legs

much better. but keep it up and reverse the issue mate. the best way is to put 5$ in a jar for every meal you miss each day this keeps you legit. I fork over 5$ for every 10g of protein i miss a day, rounded up.

stay tough and sleep well mate. keep making good decisions.

-chris

Great progress!!

Keep it up!!

Get some sun, lots of sleep, eat hard , train the same way and enjoy life!!

From what you are saying it sounds like you want to gain a lot of muscle in the next few years and that’s good!
Good job so far keep it up!

I’ve known people that had anorexia and from what I’ve gathered, they use food/hunger as way to get control over their body and themselves. Well you can reverse that and use food to control how much muscle you build…isn’t that what we ALL do here anyway? Feel proud and give your self a pat on the back when you get all the meals in.
Keep it up!

check this out… at 5’11" i was 124 pounds at 26 years of age and as far as i know i wasn’t anorexic!

pretty similar stats to you.

before you ask, “Are you huge now!?” no i’m still lighter than you.

anyways, good luck man, keep it up.

Keep it up. Potentially if you used your compulsive side to get obsessive about correct training and diet you could get phenomenal results.

Definite progress. But you’re still officially a “skinny bastard” so keep pounding away at the gym and the food and you’ll do good!

Glad you shaved, too.

Out of curiosity, why in the world have you been a member of a bodybuilding website for over two years?

Also, why were you anorexic? (I ask because I used to have a similar problem)

[quote]ProjectX wrote:
check this out… at 5’11" i was 124 pounds at 26 years of age and as far as i know i wasn’t anorexic!

pretty similar stats to you.

before you ask, “Are you huge now!?” no i’m still lighter than you.

anyways, good luck man, keep it up.[/quote]

You were definitely anorexic, your bmi was below 17 for gods sake. Apparently you just didn’t realise

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Out of curiosity, why in the world have you been a member of a bodybuilding website for over two years?

Also, why were you anorexic? (I ask because I used to have a similar problem)[/quote]

also wanna know about the second one, but the first one seems a little weird.

Keep up the good work, doesn’t matter if you’re ever 250lbs on stage what matters is getting healthy at this point. Eat something and then eat more of it, lift and sleep. Good luck.

[quote]mr popular wrote:

Also, why were you anorexic? (I ask because I used to have a similar problem)[/quote]

Basically, I was a member because I had started lifting before my issues with food all kicked off. I still continued lifting whilst anorexic, so didn’t see any progress and kept losing weight, but was in denial about the whole thing.

I became anorexic for a number of reasons- I’ve always had low self esteem, and self-image issues. I was unhappy with the way that I looked, espcially in comparison to other people I knew. Also, I was going through and INCREDBILY stressful period at the time- I was studying for my final-year exams and got involved with a play outside of school. The director was a knob, and he’d be making us rehearse 3 or 4 weeknights for hours at a time. I’d be in school from 9 to 4, get home at 5, then have to rehearse from around 7 to 11, come home and try to get my coursework and studying done. Food was the only thing I felt I had any control over in my life

[quote]watermelon_2001 wrote:
Food was the only thing I felt I had any control over in my life[/quote]

This seems to be the common element between all people with eating disorders. (excluding obese people, who of course are mentally ill but haven’t been labeled so yet).

I was anorexic at a time in my life where I’d been living for years with an undiagnosed disease that was ruining my body and my mind. Like you, food was one of the few things in my life I felt I had control over.

But to cheer you up, I can say with confidence that once you get yourself healthy, a problem like this is very easily translated into bodybuilding success for whatever reason. As soon as you see the first positive changes in your physique, it will register in your mind that how you look is 100% within your control.

you have a spider man poster right next to a stuffed animal of garfield.

you sir, are the man.

curious, what are you CURRENT eating habits like?

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:

you sir, are the man.

curious, what are you CURRENT eating habits like?[/quote]

Hah! Actually, it’s a Spider-man canvas, and Garfield is the BOSS!!

Eating habits now are pretty good…
Workout days between 5000-5500 calories (no joke,) non-workout are anywhere up to 5000. One of the things I’ve not been able to shake from my anorexic period is additional exercise. I have cut back a LOT, but still would clock up a fair bit. It’s a good thing though, because I do love to eat, and I enjoy it. I don’t know if it’s unusual for anorexics, but during that period, although I wasn’t eating, my love for food remained; I just denied myself it. I guess that it’s because before it started to get bad, I’d always eaten food that I’d enjoyed, just then I never felt any ‘guilt’ or whatever about it. I try to make sure that whatever I burn off, I make up for. Mind you, I do like being active and hate sitting still; I’ll only sit down for maybe an hour or two during the day- the rest of it I’m on my feet

[quote]watermelon_2001 wrote:
HolyMacaroni wrote:

you sir, are the man.

curious, what are you CURRENT eating habits like?

Hah! Actually, it’s a Spider-man canvas, and Garfield is the BOSS!!

Eating habits now are pretty good…
Workout days between 5000-5500 calories (no joke,) non-workout are anywhere up to 5000. One of the things I’ve not been able to shake from my anorexic period is additional exercise. I have cut back a LOT, but still would clock up a fair bit. It’s a good thing though, because I do love to eat, and I enjoy it. I don’t know if it’s unusual for anorexics, but during that period, although I wasn’t eating, my love for food remained; I just denied myself it. I guess that it’s because before it started to get bad, I’d always eaten food that I’d enjoyed, just then I never felt any ‘guilt’ or whatever about it. I try to make sure that whatever I burn off, I make up for. Mind you, I do like being active and hate sitting still; I’ll only sit down for maybe an hour or two during the day- the rest of it I’m on my feet
[/quote]

What are you eating?

You may want to read Dave Tate’s new article on here. He talks about how when he finally realized to not be so anal about what he ate, he began to grow. You can worry about any fat gain later, although you probably won’t have any.

I did see that article, yeah. I eat clean- tuna, turkey, eggs, oats, fruit, veg, nuts, etc. and don’t really go near junk food. Reason being is that eating clean makes me actually feel better than eating shitty food, and the health benefits are just as important to me