Fighting and Martial Arts

NEVER underestimate the kick to the groin.

Boxing,Kickboxing/Muay Thai,Judo,Sambo,Jiujistu,Daido Juku are the ebst from waht Ive seen.

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
Petedacook wrote:

I have found that just being a really big dude is better than knowing a martial art. Usually if you know a martial art but aren’t intimidating, you have to use the martial art, but being intimidating more often you can avoid the fight.

I have found that being a reasonable human being is the best route. I have yet to come across the bar/schoolyard-type fight that I can’t talk my way out of or walk away from.[/quote]

Totally true Steve. I can; however, say there has been a few situations in my life where talking was not happening. But for the most part, just being cool avoids confrontations.

Krav maga is useless and as pink sweatpants as it gets. you want to learn something REAL that is actually battle tested and combat proven like, tae bo.

you don’t want to be billy badass who is willing and fighting everyone in plain sight, but you want to be billy smart who is a navy seal and knows how to fight well, and knows better to avoid, defuse and get out of hot situations quickly and safely. You’ll have fewer injuries and most importantly, you’ll stay alive.

All kidding aside, I am a big fan of tae bo, I mean krav maga.

[quote]florianopolis wrote:
Krav maga is useless and as pink sweatpants as it gets. you want to learn something REAL that is actually battle tested and combat proven like, tae bo.

you don’t want to be billy badass who is willing and fighting everyone in plain sight, but you want to be billy smart who is a navy seal and knows how to fight well, and knows better to avoid, defuse and get out of hot situations quickly and safely. You’ll have fewer injuries and most importantly, you’ll stay alive.

All kidding aside, I am a big fan of tae bo, I mean krav maga.[/quote]

Aren’t Navy Seals trained to kill their opponent as fast as possible? If so that does not seem like a valid option in a street fight.

Do you really want to get pinned for murder because someone attacked you when you accidentally cut them off in traffic?

[quote]ProRaven wrote:
Ummm…No. I kicked him in the nuts.

Hard, I might add.

[/quote]

your story reminded me of this vid.

florianopolis wrote:

All kidding aside, I am a big fan of tae bo, I mean krav maga.

Petedacook wrote:

Aren’t Navy Seals trained to kill their opponent as fast as possible? If so that does not seem like a valid option in a street fight.

Do you really want to get pinned for murder because someone attacked you when you accidentally cut them off in traffic?

florianopolis wrote:

Duuuuude, my point is to be SMART and seals are great warriors as well as pretty smart folks. There is a lot that they do that requires them to have a cool head to think through things in the face of adversity to bring success to difficult missions and staying alive. That is why the more difficult missions are reserved for them and they can handle the stress. Smarts, ability to evaluate things and control of themselves. That is what and why they do very well.

That is why I brought them up.

[quote]Zen warrior wrote:
Also of interest: FightingArts.com - Sports Versus Martial Arts: Does Ultimate Fighting Protect You In Real Life Situations?
[/quote]
Quote from this article looking at early UFC:
“No weight classes (heaviest fighter was 6689 pounds)”.
I am pretty sure that nobody would fuck with me if I weighed more than 3 metric tonnes and was mobile enough to get into the octagon.

[quote]gotaknife wrote:

I am pretty sure that nobody would fuck with me if I weighed more than 3 metric tonnes and was mobile enough to get into the octagon.[/quote]

Damn, I didn’t know they allowed M1 Abrams in the octagon. And that “Tank” Abbot guy - yeah, just a nickname.

Back to the fighting thing - everyone is right. Boxing and Wrestling will totally kick your ass. Judo is fun, and you get to wear the Gi and look awesome. But in the end self defense relies upon your ability to avoid dangerous situations more than your ability to knock someone out.

Plus, you can learn to use a gun effectively much more quickly than any martial art, and they are still legal to carry for a while. But don’t worry, pretty soon we’ll have closed that loophole called the “Second Amendment” and then everyone will be disarmed, and thus - happy and safe.

Well, I’m in agreement that you never know who you are going to come up against (and that they may be armed) but saying MA is totally worthless? That I have to disagree with. After studying TKD for many years (though I haven’t studied formally in some time)I have to say that without any training, there are a few situations I’ve encountered in my life that likely would have gone very differently if I hadn’t been trained.

I mean, yes - there’s no way sparring in a dojo can compare to being seriously attacked in the street - you need to be able to keep your head when you’ve just been blasted in the nose and your eyes are watering so much you can barely see. And you’re right - it won’t save you against three career criminals armed with guns - but, to say that it’s utterly worthless in any kind of real street-fight - I can’t agree with that.

It’s been my personal experience that it just isn’t true.

That said, being 250+ pounds with 18 inch arms is a good thing as well. Combine that with being well trained and at least you’ll have some sort of advantage. Not in every situation, but it definitely wouldn’t be the worst thing you could do regarding your personal security.

Of course, no amount of muscle or MA training will save you from a bullet to the face, but there are plenty of less extreme circumstances where training can be put to good use.

I’m looking into studying BJJ these days…

honestly a few year ago i used to try to get into fights and talk a lot of shit, but ever since i started training about 3 years ago I haven’t once tried to start a fight and walk away if a situation arises…which is your best bet.

btw i train in wrestling,bjj, muay thai, and a bit of judo…i actually recommend all three (judo i didn’t really like too much)…id suggest starting w/ BJJ, then learn some takedowns, then some standup whether it be muay thai or boxing.

I don’t know what MA is more effective when fighting with another MA with equal or similar training.

However, I’ve seen and been in a few dustups in my day. I have never seen anybody face a boxer and come out ahead.
In fact a three punch combination is about as long as most guys will last from a trained boxer. Most will go down with the first punch.

Unless you’ve taken a punch from a decent amatuer or God forbid a pro who fights for money it’s hard to understand. Any good bouncing crew wants a boxer on the team when shit hits the fan.

Boxing or mixed martial arts. There is not much you can do against a good boxer if you don’t have any formal training, and boxing isn’t hard to get good at (obviously turning pro is hard, but you can get to a decent level in less than a year).

MMA involve a lot of boxing and usually BJJ, so you’ll be prepared for standup and ground fighting, and the sparring will get you used to being hit.

Obviously, if you’re facing a weapon or multiple attackers, it’s still better to have training, but don’t expect to come out on top if you decide to fight.

[quote]gotaknife wrote:
Zen warrior wrote:
Also of interest: FightingArts.com - Sports Versus Martial Arts: Does Ultimate Fighting Protect You In Real Life Situations?

I am pretty sure that nobody would fuck with me if I weighed more than 3 metric tonnes and was mobile enough to get into the octagon.[/quote]

LOL! Hadn’t seen that.

Well, it’s self defense at its best: prevent anyone from ever thinking of messing with you.

What’s you gents opinion of Kina Mutai?

I have been studying Sanchin Ryu karate for almost two years. This is not McDojo karate mind you, but a straight up approach to self defense. We don’t do tournaments so no practicing to score points, no breaking boards etc. We train to hurt people.

I can confidently call this self defense because we are taught to run away (the best way not to get hurt)if possible, but in the case when that isn’t possible we are taught to make it hurt. I don’t know that the style matters.

If you can keep your head and have some strategy you are already better off than any untrained opponent.

Er…that’s not how you spell zanshin

http://www.truekarate.co.uk/index.html

…when you’re alone in the dark,on the streets,even if you’re technically prepared (experienced in the dojo) the scare and the adrenaline could totally freeze you.
There are many cases of black belts who got beaten up by drunken scumbags

If you are taking a martial art and you don’t think it will help you defend yourself why would you take it.

And the whole jail thing, make friends with a pig farmer.

We train in executive protection and justifiable force once in a while as well as our MMA training, Multiple attackers and weapons are something you need to deal with if it happens.

I kind of hate the whole martial arts are for discipline blah blah blah. The people who say that are the ones who usually get there ass kicked.

That’s like saying you should let your kid win at checkers or something.

Here is what our instructor has to say on the matter

Being a school teacher, I just bought Larkin’s TFT weapons DVD. I liked watching it, but I thought it was overpriced.

I like what Larkin says about fighting. You don’t fight because the guy hurts your ego (the cause of most bar fights). You fight him because he is going to try to physically hurt you and there is no way to avoid violence.
When you fight, you are going to fight to kill or at least seriously injure.

This is a good mindset. You realize you dont need to throw punches because a guy cut you off in his car or looked at your girlfriend.

I like that he says, you need to take him out before you find out what a great fighter he is.

The moves in the DVD reminded me of Kung Fu San Soo, except Larkin doesn’t believe in blocking.

Watching Larkin revived my interest in Kung Fu San Soo.

Kung Fu San Soo is a great art, worthy of practice for the sake of learning self control and self dicspline. It is great for street fighting too, with lots of eye clawing, neck snapping, and head smashing fun.

P.S. I think running is the best self defense too. I do lots of sprints with that in mind.