T Nation

Fighters who Should Switch Weight Classes...

I’ve always thought Shogun would do better at 185. Wanderlei down to 185. Thoughts?

Fedor could easily make 205, but I suppose if no heavyweight can beat him there wouldn’t be a point.

Wand is moving down to 185 for his next fight, but he is much smaller than he used to be. Back in Pride he was a monster and could barely make 205.

A few Japanese fighters come to mind…

Hidehiko Yoshida- Had no business fighting at HW. He could have easily made 205 or even possibly 185. (He competed in Judo at 178).

Nakamura- Not sure if he has moved down to 185 but if not he should.

Genki Sudo- Has fought at 185, could fight at 155

Karo Parisyan- needs to get his ass in shape and cut to 155

Matt Serra- down to 155

Thiago Alves- if he misses weight again he should either choose to stop juicing or move to 185

Amir Sadollah- I like this guy, but move to 170 NOW

yeah I think we’ve talked about amir moving down before. I like him as a fighter, and I’m glad he won TUF 7, but I think like matt brown, 170 will fit him much better.

He’s moving down (Amir)

I’d like to see Anderson make a committed run at 205 but as long as Lyoto’s around he’s not gonna do that.

Randy Couture (of course)

Shogun

Couture vs. Machida Rashad or Rampage would be very interesting.

i thought Mir could make 205 as well, but same thing as Fedor-if he can’t win at HW, why?

i wonder about Brandon Vera moving back up, instead of waiting for a title shot at 205.

how havy are the guys that are in the 205 class before they cut for a fight?
Same with the guys in the 170 and 185lb class?
Thanks

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:
i thought Mir could make 205 as well, but same thing as Fedor-if he can’t win at HW, why?

[/quote]

Dude,Mir at 205? That’s a huge cut…Mir is suited for HW. As Vera is suited for 205,imo.

[quote]chitown34 wrote:
Wand is moving down to 185 for his next fight, but he is much smaller than he used to be. Back in Pride he was a monster and could barely make 205.[/quote]

Actually he is fighting Franklin at a catch weight of 195 and has made some comments recently about his inability to get to 185. He has been petitioning Dana to create another weight class in the last couple of interviews I have seen.

He looks very different to his pride days.
Apparently Wand is pushing for 195 super middleweight.

On the opposite note someone who should’nt move classes is Mark Coleman he was even worse @ 205 than he normally is.

What’s the connection between lyoto and anderson silva not moving to a committed 205? They don’t train together do they?

I love wanderlei but if he didn’t juice he could make 185.

[quote]Beershoes wrote:
What’s the connection between lyoto and anderson silva not moving to a committed 205? They don’t train together do they?[/quote]

Thanks Nikiforos.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
cycobushmaster wrote:

Dude,Mir at 205? That’s a huge cut…Mir is suited for HW. As Vera is suited for 205,imo.
[/quote]

yeah, there’s really no reason for it…although guys like Stephan Bonnar and Forrest Grffin are (basically) the same size as him. i recall reading in an interview that he doesn’t change wieght becasue he doesn’t like dieting and enjoys eating whatever he wants…