Fight Science

Anybody see this on TV? I’m trying to get my hands on it and want to know how. A bunch of people at my dojo were talking about it and it looks really awesome if you’re into martial arts at all.

http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/channel/fightscience/index.html

Some quick notes of data they learned:

Muay Thai Knee= 35mph car crash

Jiu Jitsu Lock= 600lbs of pressure on the spine

Kung Fu Competitor hits 4x faster than a snake

And that’s just for starters.

Anybody see this and have comments? I’m so pissed I don’t have cable! Grrr…
-B

I’m new to this site. I saw the program and I was knocked flat. Few of the guys on the program were monsters like PLs or BBs but I would not want to mess with their power. Granted the program used world champs, which suggests that the power they can generate is better than most, but it was awesome to see the actual numbers of their strikes.

That leads me to a question about size and strength. The boxer hit the hardest and he looked to be a guy close to or over 200. Size does matter as it relates to physics, mass, accel., etc.

Take a guy who can squat 900 and bench 600. Take a high black belt from a real dojo, not some place that gives black belts to 12 year old kids, who is at the top of his game. Who wins and why?

It’s on Torrentspy.

The presentation was excellent…but the makers definitely had an agenda.

How do you compare punches from guys of different size and weight?

Still…it was a good show, hopefully they’ll use the techniques more in a more balanced follow up.

[quote]JustDrag wrote:

That leads me to a question about size and strength. The boxer hit the hardest and he looked to be a guy close to or over 200. Size does matter as it relates to physics, mass, accel., etc.

Take a guy who can squat 900 and bench 600. Take a high black belt from a real dojo, not some place that gives black belts to 12 year old kids, who is at the top of his game. Who wins and why? [/quote]

Dude, you’re opening a huuuuuugggeee can o’ worms with that question. My response is this: Who in their right mind would really want to fight either person?

But here’s what I think it comes down to and hopefully we don’t get into the tired old argument that has been beaten by a dead horse with a broken stick: Strength and size and power are quite obviously factors in combat. As is technical prowess. They can each be used to effectively cancel the other. The issue at hand is not which is better, but which practitioner can use his abilities(be it muscle or skill-or both) best against their opponent.

This is when strategy becomes important. And my strategy is to not mess with either the big guy, or the Rexkwondo master, unless I have a gilly suit, a hide site, and a clean shot :wink: But seriously, don’t worry about which is better- build both.
-B

Now where can I get my dirty hands on this damn show?

I managed to download it through BITLORD. And it loaded quickly… And it is as good as everyone said it would be.

I managed to download it through BITLORD. And it loaded quickly… And it is as good as everyone said it would be. The only qualm I had… was why the tae kwon do guy was using the samurai sword for that demo. Having studied Kendo and Iaido… his technique was brutal !!! That sword could have cut the whole jelly thingy along with the table if done properly.

I haven’t even seen this program but I have read much about it and basically it seems to boil down to sensationalist crap.

THEY FREAKING GIVE CREEDENCE TO SOME NINJA DEATH TOUCH CRAP.

IrishDaze and DaKillah:

Thanks for the tips guys.

Irish-what do I need to view this file? I downloaded it but it says I can’t view it.
-B

About the 600 bencher, look at David “Tank” Abbott.

He did bench 600 pounds raw. Although he was a strong striker he wasn’t the best.
There is more to fighting than pure strenght.

tank is a psycho though…

saw the preview of fight science…it looks amazing!

[quote]supermonkey wrote:
I haven’t even seen this program but I have read much about it and basically it seems to boil down to sensationalist crap.

THEY FREAKING GIVE CREEDENCE TO SOME NINJA DEATH TOUCH CRAP.[/quote]

[quote]supermonkey wrote:

THEY FREAKING GIVE CREEDENCE TO SOME NINJA DEATH TOUCH CRAP.[/quote]

Not only that, they also call the Ninja “the ultimate warrior” give me a break

[quote]Hekk wrote:
About the 600 bencher, look at David “Tank” Abbott.

He did bench 600 pounds raw. Although he was a strong striker he wasn’t the best.
There is more to fighting than pure strenght.[/quote]

He didn’t bench 600 raw. There were a lot of fake plates on that bar.

[quote]JustDrag wrote:
Take a guy who can squat 900 and bench 600. Take a high black belt from a real dojo, not some place that gives black belts to 12 year old kids, who is at the top of his game. Who wins and why? [/quote]

Well, first thing to consider is that the pl’r has been training to pl, and the black belt has been training to fight. They are both elite within their sport, but of two different disciplines.

With that being said though, in a flat out, stone cold blind freakin rage, I bet that the pl’r would rip most people limb from limb- with a blatant disregard for technique.

Why?

Because there is an inverse relationship between the level of arousal and the complexity of task. Therefore at the state of maximum arousal, the ability to cary out a complex task is mimimal. The black belt would be functioning at a level far below his training, and the pl’r would be in the zone. A back spinning roundhouse just wouldn’t happen, but some serious gripping and ripping would.

That arousal theory also explains the lack of ammonia caps at chess tournaments.

I used Real player. But I have DivX and all of their codecs too.

[quote]JustDrag wrote:
I’m new to this site. I saw the program and I was knocked flat. Few of the guys on the program were monsters like PLs or BBs but I would not want to mess with their power. Granted the program used world champs, which suggests that the power they can generate is better than most, but it was awesome to see the actual numbers of their strikes.

Wait, so someone on this site is finally admitting that size does matter?

What the hell?

Is the world about to end?

Where are the thousands of 120lbs guys in defense of their super Bruce Lee fightin’ skills?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Where are the thousands of 120lbs guys in defense of their super Bruce Lee fightin’ skills?[/quote]

Maybe they fell victim to the Ninja Death Touch?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Wait, so someone on this site is finally admitting that size does matter?

What the hell?

Is the world about to end?

Where are the thousands of 120lbs guys in defense of their super Bruce Lee fightin’ skills?[/quote]

They are out there still traininig in dead patterns and never actually putting anything they learn into practical practice by traininig against a fully resisting opponent.

Anyone who has done this will realize that size and strength matter a great deal.

I think it would be a cool reality show…

Big guys vs. little guys.

I guarantee there are tons of little guys who think they are badass cause they know martial arts and plenty of big guys who think they’re badass because they can throw serious iron around.

Put em in a ring and let em prove who’s right.

[quote]blondeguy wrote:
Anybody see this on TV? I’m trying to get my hands on it and want to know how. A bunch of people at my dojo were talking about it and it looks really awesome if you’re into martial arts at all.

http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/channel/fightscience/index.html

Some quick notes of data they learned:

Muay Thai Knee= 35mph car crash

Jiu Jitsu Lock= 600lbs of pressure on the spine

Kung Fu Competitor hits 4x faster than a snake

And that’s just for starters.

Anybody see this and have comments? I’m so pissed I don’t have cable! Grrr…
-B[/quote]

A muay thai knee equals a 35 mph car crash how? Obviously not in terms of total force; so maybe PSI? But this would depend how large the target was, and how much of it made impact, so it would be extremely variable. Maybe the impact for someone inside the car? I’ve been in 50 mph car crashes without a scratch, so that isn’t impressive.

Sounds like pseudo science to me.