T Nation

Fight or Flight Reaction During Sprinting?

I have been wondering this for a while know, I am curious if anyone can tell me an answer.

I like doing sprinting as my conditioning, but I wonder if sprinting often might have a negative effect on the body. I mean, as I imagine it, if I sprint at 100%, doesnt the body think I am getting chased by something and produces stress hormones/adrenaline etc?
Or is this actually caused by seeing that one is being chased?

I see this in context to relaxation methods, where when you breath slowly etc. your heart beat goes down and all that stuff happens.

I am basically wondering if a similar effect exists if someone does all-out sprints.

Cheers!

[quote]biobohne wrote:
I have been wondering this for a while know, I am curious if anyone can tell me an answer.

I like doing sprinting as my conditioning, but I wonder if sprinting often might have a negative effect on the body. I mean, as I imagine it, if I sprint at 100%, doesnt the body think I am getting chased by something and produces stress hormones/adrenaline etc?
Or is this actually caused by seeing that one is being chased?

I see this in context to relaxation methods, where when you breath slowly etc. your heart beat goes down and all that stuff happens.

I am basically wondering if a similar effect exists if someone does all-out sprints.

Cheers![/quote]

Sprinting is not relaxing, you’re right about that. Everything else… Not so much. There are dozens of reasons why one might sprint in nature, escaping is just one of them. So, long story short - no, sprinting does not make your body think you’re being chased.

it’s fine to go into parasympathetic nervous system dominance (fight), it’s more about how quick you can get out of it and return to sympathetic ns dominance

after each set (i noticed your doing a sprint program in another post), lie down and do 30 - 60secs of deep breathing

do a session without deep breathing retesting your heart rate 1min after each sprint then do the deep breathing in between sets the next and look at the difference in heart rate recovery

so if I understand correctly, you would run the same speed if a maniac dog was chasing you as you would on your own going to the track?

Oh, I had only seen that first reply, at the time, sorry about that.

@Airtruth: I don’t know, since I have never been in that situation :smiley: But I can push myself pretty hard when I do sprints.

I was just curious about the effect that might have :wink:

Thanks for your answers, by the way!

You’re not gonna trigger the fight or flight response from just sprinting, unless you are otherwise putting your mind into that space.
With that said, predators sprint too.