Fight Club/Calvin and Hobbes

I liked those comics. I enjoyed every comics that featured kids and their little world such as Peanuts and a few other one in french

[quote]Mad HORSE wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]giterdone wrote:
Fraggle Rock. Dude, you’re taking me back.[/quote]

Every problem in the country today, whether it be a societal, economic, political or cultural one, can be traced back to a few key factors:

No more Fraggle Rock
No more Muppet Show
No more Calvin and Hobbes
No more Hanna Barbera cartoons
No more John Bonham
No more Miles Davis
Too much CGI in movies
Too many video games[/quote]

You forgot EtchaSketch and that thing where you trace circles around a shape and get some cool pictures.[/quote]

I loved that thing!
that thing was the awesome.

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

[quote]Hallowed wrote:
No one post the calvin on ridilin thing cuz I will get the major sad.[/quote]

You bitch, you mentioned it so I looked it up and now I’M sad.

I will add that I, too, think Calvin and Hobbes is probably the best comic strip ever. Great not only for the fact that it made you laugh, but every now and then it made you really think, too.[/quote]

:confused:

Only my lovers are allowed to call me a bitch!
I will make you one exception… only because that comic is so fucked up.

Sorry.[/quote]

I don’t know if I’d call it fucked up, it’s fairly well done. It just tugs so mercilessly at your heartstrings because it takes the very heart and soul of that comic strip and it turns it upside down before shattering it to pieces, leaving you in the end with a kid you no longer recognize and an imaginary friend who has been destroyed and relegated to existence as a stuffed animal. It actually hit me a lot harder than I thought something like that would. Or maybe it’s just my balls have shrunk and I’ve grown ovaries lately, I’m not sure.

Oh, and sorry about the “bitch” comment. Take it as an overreaction by someone who’s not around enough to know the limits you impose on non-lovers (how does one get over that stigma, anyhow?).

Not only did I enjoy the content of the strip, I was always impressed with the illustrations. I thought it was awesome how Watterson could go from basic character to elaborate T-Rex in a fighter jet!

“Sometimes when I’m talking, my words can’t keep up with my thoughts. Why do we think faster than we think? Probably so we can think twice.”

• Bill Watterson

[quote]Eli B wrote:
The thing I didn’t really appreciate about Calvin and Hobbes when I was a kid is that Watterson is a world class illustrator.

Even the non-fantasy panels routinely blow my mind.[/quote]

His drawing ability is one of the things that first attracted me to his strip back in '86 (I was 24 when I first found C&H). He not only handles form, color and light accurately, but his handling of action is masterful.

[quote]Rhino Jockey wrote:
Not only did I enjoy the content of the strip, I was always impressed with the illustrations. I thought it was awesome how Watterson could go from basic character to elaborate T-Rex in a fighter jet![/quote]

x2 He bridged the gap between reality and fantasy seamlessly… just like a child. Watterson obviously maintained the ability of thinking like a kid into his adult life. I think this is the magic and widespread admiration for his strip.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
I wish Watterson would bring him back, but I’m sure he’s permanently done with it. I’m glad that it never got over-commercialized and turned into a cartoon or an animated movie or even a live-action movie.

CGI Calvin and Hobbes. Holy shit I might have nightmares about that. If it were to happen John Malkovich as Hobbes.

[quote]Mad HORSE wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]giterdone wrote:
Fraggle Rock. Dude, you’re taking me back.[/quote]

Every problem in the country today, whether it be a societal, economic, political or cultural one, can be traced back to a few key factors:

No more Fraggle Rock
No more Muppet Show
No more Calvin and Hobbes
No more Hanna Barbera cartoons
No more John Bonham
No more Miles Davis
Too much CGI in movies
Too many video games[/quote]

You forgot EtchaSketch and that thing where you trace circles around a shape and get some cool pictures.[/quote]

Not to mention, waiting five minutes for one pic of a naked lady to load on the internet. Or better yet, having to hatch elaborate plans to sneak peeks at your dads friends Playboys.
Kids today have no idea what they are missing.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
I wish Watterson would bring him back, but I’m sure he’s permanently done with it. I’m glad that it never got over-commercialized and turned into a cartoon or an animated movie or even a live-action movie. Some things are better off just the way they are, and Calvin and Hobbes is definitely one of those things.

In a way, I think that in some small part I am who I am because I read those comics since I was old enough to read. When kids were coming to school in first grade with Richard Scarry picture books or some shit like that, I was coming to school with Something Under the Bed is Drooling and a pocket dictionary to learn what words like “nefarious” and “transmogrifier” and “stupendous” meant.

I think all of those books should be mandatory reading for grammar school kids of all ages. There’s a message about human nature and the world we live in contained within most of the storylines, and the ones that don’t are so funny it doesn’t matter, including anything with Rosalynn the babysitter in it. The only other thing I can really think of for kids that has such great entertainment value AND actually strives to say something that kids can learn and pick up on is Fraggle Rock. [/quote]

You just described my experience to a T.

Good post!

Who could forget the snowmen?

I loved the wagon trips down Suicide Gorge, or whatever it was called, at breakneck speed while engaged in a philosophical conversation deeper and more meaningful than what you’ll hear out of most adults these days.

Another personal favorite: Calvin Ball, a direct and heavy influence on the No Rules/No Holds Barred Canoe Races of my childhood summers.

GREATEST. COMIC. EVER.

This is awesome.

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:
This is awesome.[/quote]

This may be the one of the greatest redrawings of one of the greatest comics EVER!

(Calvin and Hobbes, the characters, were named after a 16th century theologian and a 17th century phlosopher)

[quote]Mad HORSE wrote:

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:
This is awesome.[/quote]

This may be the one of the greatest redrawings of one of the greatest comics EVER!

(Calvin and Hobbes, the characters, were named after a 16th century theologian and a 17th century phlosopher)[/quote]

Seriously, greatest comic ever.

I have every single one of the books.