Field Problems

I’m a scout in the army with a lot of time away from any sort of gym and a very lackluster diet while doing so.

Is it recommended to continue working out even with straight body weight in the field? (I lost 10 pounds in the most extreme case being in the field)

Any recommendations would be appreciated

[quote]mike dupont wrote:
I’m a scout in the army with a lot of time away from any sort of gym and a very lackluster diet while doing so.

Is it recommended to continue working out even with straight body weight in the field? (I lost 10 pounds in the most extreme case being in the field)

Any recommendations would be appreciated[/quote]

Yes, without a doubt, your body and its conditioning, is one of the most important means of survival in combat.

What army are you serving and what country? I have been deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan since 2004 and no matter where I was, there was some form of “equipment”, now, it may have been sand bags,tires, or steel pipes, but there was always a way to work out. Also, I been on MRE’s for over a month and they are purposely high in fat, a cheap way to keep your motor running,even the most remote FOB’s have some type of mobile kitchen. Yes, the food sucks, but, its good enough to keep you from losing weight. Take command of you health, do what it takes to NOT lose weight, you will lose enough under the stress of combat. Sir, if you are a scout, trained as a scout, then you already should know this. Somewhere you training is lacking.

There are some excellent threads and advice on body weight exercises under the “conditioning forum”, even discussions on training for military entrance exams. If you are looking for specific program for training, I would suggest the “bigger , stronger, leaner forum”.

As for combat operations, its not so much you need to be in the best shape possible to to kill the the enemy, its to handle the stress of fear. They better physical shape you are in, the better you can handle fear and make the right decisions that don’t get you killed. Good luck.

I appreciate the reply my only problem is the fact my current unit (I’m a us soldier) has a large lack of planning. Currently black on MREs (less then 20%) so there’s hardly any food for the troop. That’s my only issue. But I’m still going to keep up my conditioning while out here at gunnery

[quote]mike dupont wrote:
I appreciate the reply my only problem is the fact my current unit (I’m a us soldier) has a large lack of planning. Currently black on MREs (less then 20%) so there’s hardly any food for the troop. That’s my only issue. But I’m still going to keep up my conditioning while out here at gunnery[/quote]

I grew up a Army brat, joined at 18, and now train troops for the USG. I have good working knowledge of the DOD. I have many issues and complaints about our military and government, but I have never seen a situation where a troop" has hardly any food" . We may be riddled with incompetence, but, we have never had a logistics problem in getting food, so, maybe I am not understanding. What is your MOS and unit designation? And if you truly have limited food, where the hell are you?

Dude, if you are for real, maybe I can make some inquires on your behalf. I am on the advisory board for the command staff in Afghanistan, I can reach out to the right people and see if they would check into this issue. ( Defense Criminal Investigation Service, Army Criminal Investigations Division, Army and Air Force Inspector Generals Office, etc) I have seen a lot of shit, but, never a hungry USA soldier.

I’m at bliss. There’s a lot of poor planning going. Its not necessarily any 1 guys fault. Just a large lack of comma with in going personnel and what’s needed. We sent it up to the 1SGT. and has since been fixed.