T Nation

Fiber Supps & Time of Taking Them

Hi guys
Just wondering what time of day you take your fiber supps?
I take my pslium husks before breakfast and sometimes before bed if i didn`t already have a turd in the day.
I have found the last 5 days on the AD have slowed my bowels down quite a lot :frowning:

Morning and Night. I’d take more throughout the day if it was convenient.

If your bowels are slowing down you’re not drinking enough water. Try doubling the amount of water you drink immediately after your psyllium husks.

I also add 1/4 wheat bran to plain yogurt with sugar free strawberries and some stevia. This will get your fiber up to 15 grams a day between your morning and evening dosages.

Did you know that whole fat plain yogurt only have 4 grams of carbs? The labels are wrong. I don’t have the source in front of me but, it’s in the low carb for life book by Johnny Bowden.

No room for yogurt on the AD, even if the labels are “wrong”… (which is laughable)

I prefer my fiber sources to be spread out throughout the day to avoid big doses of it.

I am presently using the Metabolic Drive 2 or 3 times a day. I add everything in the protein shake just to further thicken it up.

If I have a shake in the morning I’ll add in some milled flax, if not I’ll add it in my bedtime shake.

hmmm fiber supplements = Slower digestion.

Morning = Starvation mode. (well kinda).

Slow digestion + Starvation mode =…

I don’t know what the hell i am getting at. But maybe take your fiber throughout the day; not necessarily first thing in the morning.

I take two Fiber tabs in the morning with Grow! Flameout and Creatine and then again at night with some Whey and Almonds.

I’ve found that taking fiber supp’s makes me more hungry and keeps me VERY regular.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
No room for yogurt on the AD, even if the labels are “wrong”… (which is laughable)

I prefer my fiber sources to be spread out throughout the day to avoid big doses of it.[/quote]

This comes from “Living the Low Carb life” by Johnny Bowden MA, CNS.,

"Cultured milk products restore healthful bacteria to your body and are usually well tolerated even by people who have problems with dairy. You need to eat PLAIN YOGURT with REAL LIVE CULTURES (not the junk food with tons of fruit on the bottom). Even better use Kefir. Here’s the deal with the carb content: it’s not as high as the package says. In fact, for 1/2 cup of yogurt, kefir, or buttermilk, you need to count only 2 grams of effective carbohydrate!

How can this be? It’s because of the way the government measures carbs. They measure everything in the food–water, ash, protein, fat, AND THEN ASSUME that what’s left is carbohydrate. This works fine for everything including mile, but it does not work for FERMENTED milk products. As Dr. Jack Goldberg of GO-Diet fame points out, when you ferment milk, you inoculate it with lactic acid bacteria, which then “eats up” almost all of the milk sugar (lactose) and converts it into lactic acid, the stuff that curds the milk and gives the product its unique taste. So the milk SUGAR that the government thinks is left in the product is really just about gone–it’s been “converted” in the fermenting process by the lactic acid bacteria. The REAL amount of carbohydrate left in 1/2 cup of plain yogurt or kefir is only 2 grams–this has been measure by Dr. Goldberg in his own lab. I recommend that you get the full-fat variety of kefir or yogurt and enjoy it on an almost daily basis." pages 252-253

You must really love your yogurt with all the posts your making about it.

I bathe in yogurt!

[quote]walleye49 wrote:

If your bowels are slowing down you’re not drinking enough water. Try doubling the amount of water you drink immediately after your psyllium husks.

Well i take a heaped tea spoon full with a big glass of water and then another glass of water straight after that.
I`n actualy drinking about 5-6 litres a day at the mo with no coffee or other diuretics at all.

I also add 1/4 wheat bran to plain yogurt with sugar free strawberries and some stevia. This will get your fiber up to 15 grams a day between your morning and evening dosages.

And i don`t have dairy products in my diet…milks for cows as is mothers milk for babys :slight_smile:

[/quote]

[quote]B rocK wrote:

I’ve found that taking fiber supp’s makes me more hungry and keeps me VERY regular.[/quote]

I found that too to start with but for some reason its all slowed down a lot. Maybe im eating too many boiled eggs and mince beef as i hear they are very binding

[quote]tayjeremy wrote:
hmmm fiber supplements = Slower digestion.

Morning = Starvation mode. (well kinda).

Slow digestion + Starvation mode =…

I don’t know what the hell i am getting at. But maybe take your fiber throughout the day; not necessarily first thing in the morning.[/quote]

Yeah i get what your saying there. I also find the morning dose fills me up and struggle with breakfast half an hour later. Maybe i should skip the AM one.

[quote]walleye49 wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:

I prefer my fiber sources to be spread out throughout the day to avoid big doses of it.

This comes from “Living the Low Carb life” by Johnny Bowden MA, CNS.,

"Cultured milk products restore healthful bacteria to your body and are usually well tolerated even by people who have problems with dairy. You need to eat PLAIN YOGURT with REAL LIVE CULTURES (not the junk food with tons of fruit on the bottom). Even better use Kefir. Here’s the deal with the carb content: it’s not as high as the package says. In fact, for 1/2 cup of yogurt, kefir, or buttermilk, you need to count only 2 grams of effective carbohydrate!

How can this be? It’s because of the way the government measures carbs. They measure everything in the food–water, ash, protein, fat, AND THEN ASSUME that what’s left is carbohydrate. This works fine for everything including mile, but it does not work for FERMENTED milk products. As Dr. Jack Goldberg of GO-Diet fame points out, when you ferment milk, you inoculate it with lactic acid bacteria, which then “eats up” almost all of the milk sugar (lactose) and converts it into lactic acid, the stuff that curds the milk and gives the product its unique taste. So the milk SUGAR that the government thinks is left in the product is really just about gone–it’s been “converted” in the fermenting process by the lactic acid bacteria. The REAL amount of carbohydrate left in 1/2 cup of plain yogurt or kefir is only 2 grams–this has been measure by Dr. Goldberg in his own lab. I recommend that you get the full-fat variety of kefir or yogurt and enjoy it on an almost daily basis." pages 252-253

[/quote]

Fine but plain yogurt tastes like ass. Why bother?

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:

Fine but plain yogurt tastes like ass. Why bother?[/quote]

Your comments say a lot about you eengrms76, keep on keeping on.

[quote]walleye49 wrote:
Your comments say a lot about you eengrms76, keep on keeping on.[/quote]

As do yours…