Fiber Question(s)

OK, so i heard about all the benefits of fiber, especially for those of us on high protein diets, and decided to supplement it to achieve the T-Nation recommended 25-33 grams of fiber daily.

This raises a simple concern of supplement and nutritent timing. It has been mentioned many times that one should not consume multis and other supps along with fiber, since it decreases their absorbtion rates. So here are my questions:

1. How long after consuming fiber should one take the multis and mineral formula? Is it like calcium and a near 90 minute wait is best?

2. Can we consume Dietry oils like fish, flax and MCTs with meals high in fiber or even with fiber supps?

3. Currently i am consuming glucosamine and Creatine, does fiber effect the uptake of these supplements?

4. I got a free 114 dose container of metamucil, and plan on using it? Is this a good fiber source?

Thanks for any feedback

Sam Smarts

[quote]samsmarts wrote:
OK, so i heard about all the benefits of fiber, especially for those of us on high protein diets, and decided to supplement it to achieve the T-Nation recommended 25-33 grams of fiber daily.

This raises a simple concern of supplement and nutritent timing. It has been mentioned many times that one should not consume multis and other supps along with fiber, since it decreases their absorbtion rates. So here are my questions:

1. How long after consuming fiber should one take the multis and mineral formula? Is it like calcium and a near 90 minute wait is best?

2. Can we consume Dietry oils like fish, flax and MCTs with meals high in fiber or even with fiber supps?

3. Currently i am consuming glucosamine and Creatine, does fiber effect the uptake of these supplements?

4. I got a free 114 dose container of metamucil, and plan on using it? Is this a good fiber source?

Thanks for any feedback

Sam Smarts[/quote]

Instead of relying on Fiber/fibre supps why not just try and have green veggies in every meal. Some people may use fiber supps on this site. However I beleive you should only use liquid meals when you need them. Eg PWO or protein powder first thing in the morning.

Try and eat 7 to 10 servings of cukes, broccoli and spinach etc. And everything should flow nicely. Then you will not have to worry about vitamin timing with your fiber

I have considered using Greens+ again, but i got the fiber for free, so why not use it instead :slight_smile: But thanks for your feedback i have heard great things about greens+ have tried it in the past as a first thing in the morning drink mix, and have also tried organic Apple Cider with Honey as a first thing in the morning smoothie. But this fiber is for free so i doubt i will throw it away and buy something else.

Anyway back on topic. Anyone have direct responses to the questions?

I believe he was refering to real veggies, and not Greens+.

[quote]michaelv wrote:
I believe he was refering to real veggies, and not Greens+.[/quote]

Yes this is true. I was referring to real veggies. However greens plus is great since your veggies are not as nutrient dense as in the past.

However since the product was for free. Mix it in with your snack time shake or your mid morning/afternoon meal/snack

Regards

samsmarts,
Good questions.
Don’t sweat the interference of soluble fiber (insoluble doesn’t present the same problems) with minerals (“divalent cations”) at a daily intake of 25-33g total fiber daily. Will some interference occur? Perhaps but it’s not like you’re consuming 50 grams of fiber per day.

Too much concern over the interactions between soluble fibers and minerals could lead to daily behaviors like not getting-in all one’s required nutrients. (“No, I can’t eat that yet…”) And it’s a litle stressful. Besides, gastro-intestinal transit time varies and it’d be tough to know when that fiber was in the intestines at the same time as the minerals anyway. This is especially true for BB who eat six or more times daily!

If you’d like some research abstracts, PM me, eh? Or email me at Lonman7@hotmail.com and I’ll send them as attachments for informational purposes. I’ve got more than you probably want to see!

I personally don’t take pricey fish oils with my mornig oats, just to be on the safe side… and because that’s when I’m looking for a low-fat meal anyway.

(Note: we’re talking about a day’s worth of fiber MAYBE resulting in a few grams of fat not getting absorbed; you see, noticeable “steatorrhea” would result if more than a half-dozen grams of fat or so per day left one’s backside.)

This is nothing to really worry about unless you are taking in enormous quantities of fiber. And trust me, you would know if you were taking enormous quantities…