Fiber Is (Not) Carbs

I’m confused. I read Shugart’s V-diet thread (parts one and two), but never saw the following addressed:

I have always been under the impression that fiber, while considered a carb, is not to be counted as such, since it is non-nutritive, i.e., no calories.

Is this wrong? I don’t think it is, but, it looks like the V-diet’s (almost) only source of “caloric carbs” is the Surge used with weight work-outs. Am I to eat almost no non-fiber carbs on non-weight days?

[quote]sorcer wrote:
Am I to eat almost no non-fiber carbs on non-weight days?[/quote]

Thats completely up to you, depending on your goals.

Most of your carbs should contain some sort of fiber, except your post workout shake.

And yes, final carb count should be total carbs minus the fiber. Fiber cannot be digested by the body, so it shouldnt count as carbs.

You’re right. I’m not intimately familiar with the diet, but I think that is the whole point of the diet.

That’s the way I learned it in nutrition class in college. Unfortunately my psyllium husk fiber supp says it contains 45 calories per serving while containing 100% fiber. “WTF?” I say!

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
That’s the way I learned it in nutrition class in college. Unfortunately my psyllium husk fiber supp says it contains 45 calories per serving while containing 100% fiber. “WTF?” I say![/quote]

I read in one nutrition book that fibre can be partially digested. It claimed that people on high fibre diets could get up to 15% of their total energy intake from fibre. I have no idea how accurate that information is, but the rest of the book was good.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
That’s the way I learned it in nutrition class in college. Unfortunately my psyllium husk fiber supp says it contains 45 calories per serving while containing 100% fiber. “WTF?” I say![/quote]

Its still contains energy it just can’t be used by your body.

[quote]IrishMarc wrote:
beebuddy wrote:
That’s the way I learned it in nutrition class in college. Unfortunately my psyllium husk fiber supp says it contains 45 calories per serving while containing 100% fiber. “WTF?” I say!

Its still contains energy it just can’t be used by your body. [/quote]

Yes, fiber is by definition a carbohydrate, but as mentioned previously it is not easily used by the body for energy. I forget the specifics (it’s been awhile) but there are also various forms of fiber and I would expect their absorbtion would be different.

You can use fiber as energy. It does not spike your insulin as other carbs do.

I have been in a carb depleted state and have “carbed up” over 3 days using fiber one cereal (as my main carb sourse). The product is 28 grams of fiber per cup. Filled up my muscles without any body fat and minimal water. Needless to say I kinda needed to use the restroom after that though.

[quote]sorcer wrote:
it looks like the V-diet’s (almost) only source of “caloric carbs” is the Surge used with weight work-outs. Am I to eat almost no non-fiber carbs on non-weight days?[/quote]

That is correct, and more or less the point of the diet. You’ll get non-fibre carbs from the protein shakes and the flaxseed. You’ll also get some from peanut butter, should you choose to indulge in some at the end of a shake-filled day. I wouldn’t know, of course.