Fiber, How Is It Controversial?

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
pzehtoeur wrote:
I’ve noticed this too…

Ever since getting my diet on track a couple of years ago, my shits haven’t stunk (well I’m sure they do but not like it used to). My roommate, who is a fatass and eats like nothing but burgers (literally, all I’ve seen him eat so far these past 2+ months was burgers and fries) has the nastiest shits.

I almost throw up when I go in after he’s done with the toilet. Thank god for Febreeze.

Reason #8,943,537,323,621 why I will never have a roommate.

I hate smelling other’s poop.

[/quote]

Why don’t people courtesy flush all the time? I even do it at home when it’s just me!

courtesy flush = imperative

fiberwise

us brilliant individuals who live the lifestyles we do should be able to get enough fiber from the fruits/veggies/complex carbs that we eat throughout the day. therefore, using fiber in the stead of these is, well, weak.

the only time supplemental fiber should be the significant portion of daily fiber intake is when you are on a specific, restrictive diet (i.e. velocity or some other school of restriction).

otherwise, eatcha veggies, dont supplement with more than 5-10 g of fiber a day.

IMO

at about 3500 calories and 20% carbs my fiber intake is over 40 grams from oats, apples, bananas, veggies, nuts and seeds

i’ve been this way for over 1.5 years so the gas issues have long since subsided, suffice to say when i do need to take a shit (which usually isn’t every day) it is quite epic

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

I was reading a thread wherein one poster said fiber was bad because we were pampering the muscles in our intestinal tract by using fiber to power wash material out of our body (I paraphrased)

So what is the deal? I watch my fiber, if I have too many protein shakes and not enough vegetables I supplement, or if I am taking iron pills.

Is this really something worthy or a daily worry or a conspiracy theory?

[/quote]

I don’t believe this because food is broken down into molecules, and that statement assumes that these molecules are layered such that none can ever ‘cut’ in front of others’ layers. In other words, I don’t believe that protein molecules can be layered on top of fiber and blocked from the intestinal walls.

Even the mechanical component of digestion (the smooth muscles creating waves to move food through the GI tract) should be enough to keep such separation from affecting absorption.

Plus, unless all macronutrient molecules can bind with each other and the non-absorptive properties of one can negate the absorption of others (which I do not think can happen), I just don’t see how this can be a concern.

Probably just further proof that more people grew when they knew less.

two type of fiber i know are controversial are inulin and fructo-oligosaccherides (sp?). they are added to things like cliff bars b/c they are cheap and can be listed as fiber. it exists naturally in onions/leeks/garlic, but not in the amounts put in these processed foods.

the argument against them is that they feed bad bacteria equally as much as the good, and dont really help. yeah, i have no opinion, but have seen that.

entheogens, do you buy one of those kits online to make fermented food at home? i’m interested. if you could point me in the right direction i’d appreciate it.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
I don’t believe this because food is broken down into molecules, and that statement assumes that these molecules are layered such that none can ever ‘cut’ in front of others’ layers. In other words, I don’t believe that protein molecules can be layered on top of fiber and blocked from the intestinal walls.[/quote]

Well actually i must disagree. this is EXACTLY what happens. The fibre “gels” up, and traps some nutrients on the inside of the fibre glob. This is exactly why adding fibre slows down the absorption of sugars and other nutrients. It prevents them from reaching the walls and being absorbed. Now these arnt permanently absorbed, and they do eventually get absorbed. But then again, how much fibre do you have in there? most dietry advice keeps fibre intake under 50g for this reason.

This does help prevent nutrients getting permanently absorbed. But its not perfect.

What about if some nutrients are actively absorbed through receptor sites? One mineral say can bind to the site, and prevent the absorption of other minerals or nutrients. Think about why people seperate their intake of zma and calcium containing protein powders. I know most things are absorbed through osmosis, but not everything.

Don’t get me wrong. I am not suggesting everything you eat is just dumped out. Its not. But there is alot of interactions going on in there, that can not only slow down absorption it can prevent absorption if the doses are high enough.

but then, what do i know, i could be very wrong.