T Nation

Fiber & Carb Intake

Alright, here’s a question for everyone out there who eats clean.

Who here does not count fiber into their daily carb intake? I recently heard of a few people discussing this and it struck me as an interesting topic. Apparently fiber isn’t digested, or something along those lines, therfor some people don’t count it.

I, have always counted it, but am questioning that approach now.

Speak freely gentlemen.

I never count it and try to eat at least 10 grams at every meal. It passes right through undigested so I wouldn’t see why counting it makes a difference. Sugar alcohols is another interesting one.

Sugar alcohols,yes.

Fiber,no.

Fiber cannot be used as energy by the body since it cannot be digested.
I do see people who count fiber,but that is dangerous and never should really be done.
You need fiber.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
Sugar alcohols,yes.

Fiber,no.

Fiber cannot be used as energy by the body since it cannot be digested.
I do see people who count fiber,but that is dangerous and never should really be done.
You need fiber.[/quote]

Well I didn’t mean count fiber as in watching my intake. I meant counting it towards my total carb count. As in my daily intake.

[quote]Roy wrote:
Cthulhu wrote:
Sugar alcohols,yes.

Fiber,no.

Fiber cannot be used as energy by the body since it cannot be digested.
I do see people who count fiber,but that is dangerous and never should really be done.
You need fiber.

Well I didn’t mean count fiber as in watching my intake. I meant counting it towards my total carb count. As in my daily intake.[/quote]

Thats what I’m talking about.
Carbs are a source of energy and fiber isn’t,so it can’t be used.
Fiber doesn’t turn into glucose therefore it cannot be used as energy by the muscles.
Nor can it be digested.

Well fuck me. I’ve been dieting, and counting fiber. I can’t stop now, though. I sudden increase in carbohydrates will fuck my fatloss over.

Thanks for the info guys.

[quote]Roy wrote:
Well fuck me. I’ve been dieting, and counting fiber. I can’t stop now, though. I sudden increase in carbohydrates will fuck my fatloss over.

Thanks for the info guys.[/quote]

Not if it’s pure fiber.
In fact,the higher fiber intake will probably help.

Carbs are your bodies main fuel source.
Not fiber, since it can’t be converted into glucose.

I’m doing the AD right now and I eat 30 grams of carbs a day, five days a week with the exception of two carb up days during the weekend.

My fiber intake is probably over 30 grams a day.
So even if you eat more fiber you’re not going to gain fat.

Just watch out for the sugar alcohols and the hidden sugar in some processed meats/foods.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
I’m doing the AD right now and I eat 30 grams of carbs a day, five days a week with the exception of two carb up days during the weekend.

My fiber intake is probably over 30 grams a day.
So even if you eat more fiber you’re not going to gain fat.[/quote]

Hey how’s the AD treating you? I’m thinking about starting it up here shortly. I’ve never tried it before and it looks interesting. Any advice? How long have you been on it and are you fully acclimated yet?

What are you eating to get those 30g of fiber a day?

i count soluble and insoluble fiber in my carb intake.

not including 30 grams into my overall carb intake is hardly “dangerous.” lmao.