T Nation

Fiber and Calories?

when counting calories for the day, lets use broccoli as an example. 1 cup is 4g carbs 2g fiber, since fiber cant be digested by the body you subtract the fiber grams from carb grams to get the actual amount, yes?

now, would you also subtract the calories from fiber? so instead of being 30 calories take away 8 since each gram is 4 calories and its only 22 calories per serving?

of course it doesnt really matter but its been bugging me all day…i love to eat broccoli by the pounds so that sparked the question.

come on now…anyone?

the calorie count on the package/label already takes fibre into account.

EDIT: also, you’re in the US right? in that case…your nutrition labels always list carbs with fibre already subtracted from the count.
i.e. Broccoli at 4g CHO and 2g fibre, is 6g actually total carbs with 4g effective ones.

ok, thanks.

soluble fibers are fermented into short chain fatty acids in the colon. I once heard soluble fibers contribute roughly 2 kcals per gram. It’s negligable really, just thought I’d through it out there.

[quote]Evil1 wrote:

EDIT: also, you’re in the US right? in that case…your nutrition labels always list carbs with fibre already subtracted from the count.
i.e. Broccoli at 4g CHO and 2g fibre, is 6g actually total carbs with 4g effective ones.[/quote]

I did not know this, and I think it might also be a false. From looking at this mission low carb wraps, which advertise 7g net carbs on the front, and their nutritional info which says 18g carbs and 11g fiber, leads me to conclude that the nutritional info cho is not effective cho, but total cho.

Not claiming I know the answer, but either mission is lying on the front of their packaging or the above quote is false.

[quote]theuofh wrote:
Evil1 wrote:

i.e. Broccoli at 4g CHO and 2g fibre, is 6g actually total carbs with 4g effective ones.

I did not know this, and I think it might also be a false. From looking at this mission low carb wraps, which advertise 7g net carbs on the front, and their nutritional info which says 18g carbs and 11g fiber, leads me to conclude that the nutritional info cho is not effective cho, but total cho.

Not claiming I know the answer, but either mission is lying on the front of their packaging or the above quote is false. [/quote]

It’s not a ‘blanket’ statement by any stretch. Its just that the FDA labeling law allows them to do what I mentioned.
When I get products, I always calculate the calorie count.
e.g. listed cals - (fat9 + pro4) = # of effective carbs.

Try it. It’ll work out to around 7g cho for mission lc tortillas.

2.5g fat x 9 = 22.5kcal
18g carb x 4 = 72kcal (11g fiber)
5 g pro x 4 = 20 kcal -> 114.5 kcal

The label says 110 so you’re right. The question is are the kcals in the fiber digestible, and can they be metabolized into a fuel source. Or do you poop out the extra 44 kcal unutilized?

I’m just glad I’m not keeping track of kcals or carbs anymore. I don’t know which way is up or down right now.

[quote]theuofh wrote:
2.5g fat x 9 = 22.5kcal
18g carb x 4 = 72kcal (11g fiber)
5 g pro x 4 = 20 kcal -> 114.5 kcal

The label says 110 so you’re right. The question is are the kcals in the fiber digestible, and can they be metabolized into a fuel source. Or do you poop out the extra 44 kcal unutilized?

I’m just glad I’m not keeping track of kcals or carbs anymore. I don’t know which way is up or down right now. [/quote]

Theres some debate about that right now. One side says the soluble fibre in it will get fermented in the large intestine, and won’t impact blood glucose(or insulin).
The other side, says it will.
Same thing with Yogurts.

all i know is i just devoured 3 pounds of broccoli and mustard

You must be cutting. I like broccoli, but not enough to eat a pound of it.