Fi...ber

Okay, lessee…from what I understand, muscle hypertrophy can stem from both increased glycogen storage in the muscle as well as thickening of the actin-myosin fibers. Assuming that one is using weight-training as an element of training for sports, and therefore for limit strength as opposed to increased mass, and that any glycolitic or anaerobic endurance training is specifically skill or drill related and not performed in the weight room, (sprints and so on), is the same caloric intake required as when training for bodybuilding-type hypertrophy? (Granted, skill-training will demand its share of calories.) The Doc mentioned a week or so ago that he took his body weight and previous lifts and then established a sort of least-squares regression line to figure his target weight for the 1014 squat. I know that at my current weight (195 with an 8.7% bodyfat) I am FAR weaker than most, and yet to become stronger (not necessarily bigger)would be to a large extent a process of tendon and ligament strengthening and increased motor-unit recruitment. Other than repair and upkeep, why would an increased caloric intake be necessary?
Thanks, Kray Van Kirk

I don’t think it’s necessary to have a caloric surplus to experience strength gains, but it might help. As long as you’re getting enough calories for maintenance, and enough protein (for the addition of new myofibrils), diet shouldn’t play that big of a role. It’s mostly about neural adaptation (although getting bigger doesn’t hurt!).