T Nation

FFBs Hellbent Pursuit of 6% BF

Why Im doing this
Some of you probably saw my previous thread where I was asking for advice in building my road map to a 6 pack ( http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/the_final_stretch_designing_the_roadmap_to_an_allnatural_endomorph_6pack?pageNo=1#2526483 ). Well, here is the road map Ive constructed (the first month of it anyway, ill post the rest when the time comes).

My brief bio

I grew up a fat ass.

~16 I lost a ton of weight.

For the past 6 years Ive been yo-yoing between more/less in shape and lard-ass. I want to finally achieve the body that Ive always wanted, but was never disciplined enough to build.

Stats

Early July
~14% BF
~155 lbs

10-4-08
~10% BF (average between a 3 and 4 site skin-fold test reading 9.4 and 10.6 respectively)
~150 lbs

The Goal: 6% or bust (by January 1, 2009)

Ill only say this once, I’m going for a LEAN WELTERWEIGHT BODY TYPE. I dont care what you think about this. Dont post 50,000 comments about how Im not going to be huge like Ahnold. I got love for the governor, but Im going for an Oscar de la Hoya body.

Besides, if you cant respect Oscar, your whole respect game is wack.

Workout Schedule

Monday/Friday … Weight Lifting
[All lifts done explosive concentric (push) and slow, 5-count eccentric (release)]

…Power Circuits (Repeat 4 times, increasing weight each time)
Pullups … To failure/bad form
Front Squats … 5 reps
Dumbell Bench Press … 5 reps

…Abs
Swiss Ball Crunch … To failure/bad form
Deadlift … 5
Swiss Ball Leg Raises … To failure/bad form
Twisting Cable Crunch … 5 times each side
[Time/Energy Permitting] Deadlift … 5
[Time/Energy Permitting] Swiss Ball Crunch … To failure/bad form

…On the Drive Home
Alternating Ab Vacuums and Kegel Squeezes (gotta do it at some point, might as well be in the car ;))

Tuesday/Thursday/ (Maybe Saturday)
Nepa (Non-Exercise Physical Activity) Walk - ~1.75-2 Miles /30 minutes
Power Breathing … 5 sets … 10 reps … 5-7 Seconds ( http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/ab_training_from_the_inside_out )

Wednesday/Sunday
HIIT Swimming
Breast Stroke Sprint … 25 x 25 meters, <20 min (Im trying to reduce breaks as much as possible)

Supplementation

Morning
2x Flameout
1x 500 mg vitamin C, Kirkland Brand (2 if I feel under the weather)
1x Centrum Multivitamin
1x 500 mg slow-release niacin, NOW brand

Day (@ Work)
2-3 Cups of green tea
2x Flameout

Pre-Workout
1 x 400 mg Green Tea Extract, NOW brand (Should I be taking 2?)

Post-Workout
Shake
Bunch of Frozen Fruit (i.e. Mango, Cherries, Mixed Berries, etc.)
Sometimes fresh fruit (i.e. peaches, plums, bananas)
1-1.25 scoops Optimum Nutrition All Natural Vanilla Whey
1 Teaspoon Optimum Nutrition Creapure Creatine

Before Bed
1x 500 mg slow-release Niacin, NOW brand
1x Chromium Polynicotinate aka ChromeMate, NOW brand

Diet
My diet is based on Tim Ferriss Slow-Carb Diet ( http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2007/04/06/how-to-lose-20-lbs-of-fat-in-30-days-without-doing-any-exercise/ )

I dont really count calories, but I try to spread out my eating throughout the day as much as possible and I pretty much eye my portions.

I avoid soy products, milk, all pastas, all breads, all cereals (oatmeal included), all potatoes/veggie-starches, and all fruit (not counting tomato and other veggie-fruits).

Typical Day:
…Breakfast
4 egg whites + 1 yolk omlette
1/3-1/2 can black beans
Red Salsa
Green Salsa
Cilantro
1 Tablespoon all natural almond butter (sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less)

…Snack 1
Small bag of almonds or other nuts (Ive recently introduced walnuts into my diet for their omega 3s & other health benefits)

…Snack 2
1/2 Bottle low-fat Lifeway Kefir (Probiotic/cultured drink)

…Dinner
Mixed veggie salad
Seared, un-breaded chicken breast or grilled fish, etc.

[If lifting]
…Post workout
Shake, as described above

[If not lifting]
…Late Snack
Varies … kefir, various nuts, etc.

I think my diet it pretty damn solid, but there are a few potential caveats:

1. Im liable to skip a meal or change the spacing depending on when I wake up (I can come into work anytime), or my workload, or the availability of food (i.e. if I run out of Kefir, then Ill probably just eat more nuts or leftovers, or, worst case, skip.).

2. Nuts are my vice. Although Ive cleaned my diet of all crap, I still looooove nuts and I find myself snacking on them. I try to keep portions in check, but I really dont know exactly how much I eat and this may be hurting my goals. On the other hand, I dont exactly take in a lot of calories as is and if I didnt eat nuts, I may actually risk underfeeding myself. Nonetheless, between this past Saturday night & Sunday, I killed 80% of a large can of mixed nuts, which I’m pretty sure had a visible impact on my physique.

3. I may be eating the aforementioned nuts in unacceptably large quantities late in the day. Ive never read anything against nuts late in the day, but I suppose its possible.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me your feedback, criticize holes in my program, etc. The one thing I ask that you keep to yourself (actually I dont give a shit) is you dont tell me that I have the wrong goals. Ill be the judge of that.

I hope to keep you all posted on my journey to accomplish what I never thought was possible.

Here are my pictures from when I started on 7-13
[photo]18076[/photo]
[photo]18077[/photo]

10-4-08
[photo]18078[/photo]
[photo]18079[/photo]

10-4-08 (Flexed)
[photo]18080[/photo]
[photo]18081[/photo]

Being an FFB myself, and was starting to become a CFB for the past few months, I’m going to enjoy following this thread. Not to mention that I’m the same height and around the same weight as you are.

What are your PR’s?

i swim to man, thats y i train mi abs, helps alot

As another week wraps up, here are some thoughts & observations:

1. STRENGTH TRAINING:
    I’m definitely getting stronger, and despite my intent to get leaner, I feel like I’m gaining mass too.

Lesson learned - avoid consuming too much water before doing swiss ball excercises. I has a tendency to wanna come up the same way it went down (no I didn’t puke, but it wasn’t pleasant).

1. SUPPLEMENTS:
    I’ve been taking all of my supplements religiously. To say that I “feel” some kind of difference would simply be a lie. I think the Chromemate helps me get a deeper sleep, but I’m not if its that or I’m just getting tired. Anyways, I’m keeping with my supplements with faith that they’re working.

2. NEPA:
    NEPA has been pretty nice. I kind of enjoy it and I can catch up on news, audiobooks, etc., all while helping my metabolism and burning calories. On Tues/Thurs, I do it in the evening right after work, and I simply avoided eating during the preceding 4 hours.

Yesterday, Saturday, I tried it starved before eating, followed by a power breathing session and I was nauseous as hell. I can probably handle the nausea 1ce a week, but I’d honestly prefer not to. I’ll give it another shot next Saturday. If I still feel like ass, I may move it to later in the day on Saturday as well.

1. Nutrition: Having some concerns

The good news-
:slight_smile: In the spirit of the Velocity diet, I’ve decided to break my habit/addiction to sweets and all things bad for me by eating 100% clean for an entire month.

Well 3 weeks are up and I’m not worried about the next week. I’m definitely not fiending for sweets. When I see them, they naturally grab my attention, but its not particularly agonizing for me to say “no.”

When I started my first weight loss endeavor @ 16 y/o, I depended on my free days SEVERELY. For 6 days I would hold out, but on the 7th day, I was like a tornado consuming everything in sight. I could have NEVER imagined sacrificing free days back then. Well, I’m nearing a month of no free-days/meals now, so I guess this is a seriously mental triumph.

Granted, I look forward to getting some great, non-diet restricted food in the near future, but I certainly don’t “need” it. Its almost more of an emotional/sentimental thing to be able to go to a nice restaurant and eat something just for taste and not have to pester the significant other about why I can’t order this or that :slight_smile:

:frowning: Here’s what I’m concerned about, despite my unwavering commitment to my diet, and my high level of physical activity (low & high intensity), the fat really doesn’t seem to be comming off at the speed I’d like it to be.

The abs ARE slowly becomming visible, but when I say slowly I mean… SLOWLY. I’m going to take a BF% measurement on Saturday, but I doubt I’ll have lost 1% BF this month. Maybe .5 or so. I think the main reason for this is my over consumption of nuts.

I need to find a greater diversity of snacks. I’m going to start a thread about this in the nutrition and supplementation forum. (Placeholder for link to aforementioned thread)

1. POWER BREATHING
    This shit is painful, and it seems to really work. That’s all I have to say for now!