FFB Unite!

Hey guys, I too am a FFB

I stand at 6’3, and I was an overweight 240 lbs.

My initial goal was to get down to a healthy 190, then add some muscle.

I did this EASY, I cut out the soda, ice cream (used to have 5-6 colas a day, with a bowl of ice cream every night). I also did something called TURNING OFF THE TV, and I started going for runs.

Well when I reached 190…in about…6months or so. I then kinda became OBSESSED with losing the weight. Every week it was not enough, I watched the scale go through the 180’s, 170’s, 160’s, then it stopped at 150. This is when I knew…I had to get some weight back on me.

Needless to say im trying to bulk up now, but that FFB is in the back of my mind every time I up my calories. I got down to this weight by drastically cutting calories and doing a 30 min HIIT session every night (around 3-4 miles). What are some of the things that helped you guys bulking?

i really dotn think us ffb’s have to do much different from everyone else in good shape. We jsut have to keep logs of weight, bf, training, and food. the reason we were fat was casue we eat crap food all the time. we also did nothing for exercise. all i did was change my eating to Berardi’s 7 habits and now i have a six pack. its jsut about commitment. I’m starting to bulk now i’ll see how this goes. a little fat isn’t a big deal cause i can always diet it off cause now i know i can

What do you guys think is a good order? i’ve been gaining for a few months, now i’ve got a lil gut (not big) plus new muscle. I want to get bigger, but not like that, over winter. My plan- i think some more cardio 4 times or so a week, in addition to still training with weights the same frequency/intensity, for a few months, then do the velocity diet in september/october to get a lean foundation for winter bulking. Sound good? Any experience would be nice. Cheers

i just got to the point where i have a six pack then decided to start bulking till i’m were i want to be. ill use the fact that i cant see my six pack as a measure of how fat im getting. i would jsut keep bulking till your where you want to be then cut. instead of cuttign twice casue cutting sucks

Can I still post if i’m a fat boy transitioning into a FFB?

I wanted to throw in a few things of my own, being a FFG (former fat girl :o) ) who’s hopped on the t-vixen way of life. Went from 5’6 195lbs at around 40% bodyfat to 5’6" 160 lbs at around 24% bodyfat in the span of a year.
My little t-vixen living rules seem to be, as follows:

1. Cardio doesn’t seem to affect my muscle growth/loss (as mentioned in an earlier post) so I tend to do 45 minutes (minimum 3 miles), six days per week. Doing it in the AM helps, prebreakfast, nothing killer.

2. Just drink water. At this point, anything that’s not water, I can hardly stand. Water, water, water, at least 100 oz per day.

3. The more sleep I get, the less likely I am to eat garbage (I’ve heard that one of the primary ‘causes’ of obesity is the lack of adequate sleep). If this means 9.5 hours per night to be well-rested then, so be it.

4. Cheat days leave me feeling like crap, so I try to avoid them. The food tastes good, but usually makes me feel sick afterwards, and even worse the next day.

5. Corollary to 4: If I’m going to cheat, I’m going to workout beforehand. Thinking of my harwork at the gym reminds me to keep it under control.

6. Don’t let other people make you feel bad for taking care of yourself, simply because they don’t care for themselves. I’ve had people (read: out of shape, skinny-fat and fat-fat) friends turn it around when I won’t go out drinking/eating/whatever/etc, and tell me I have a problem and I’m obsessed. I enjoy how I live, I’m healthy as get-out, etc. Every now and then it’s ok, but it’s not a lifestyle.

Couldn’t agree more with the above post that friends can be ‘toxic’ - gotta learn to stand up for yourself.

[quote]mauser wrote:
I wanted to throw in a few things of my own, being a FFG (former fat girl :o) ) who’s hopped on the t-vixen way of life. Went from 5’6 195lbs at around 40% bodyfat to 5’6" 160 lbs at around 24% bodyfat in the span of a year.
My little t-vixen living rules seem to be, as follows:

1. Cardio doesn’t seem to affect my muscle growth/loss (as mentioned in an earlier post) so I tend to do 45 minutes (minimum 3 miles), six days per week. Doing it in the AM helps, prebreakfast, nothing killer.

2. Just drink water. At this point, anything that’s not water, I can hardly stand. Water, water, water, at least 100 oz per day.

3. The more sleep I get, the less likely I am to eat garbage (I’ve heard that one of the primary ‘causes’ of obesity is the lack of adequate sleep). If this means 9.5 hours per night to be well-rested then, so be it.

4. Cheat days leave me feeling like crap, so I try to avoid them. The food tastes good, but usually makes me feel sick afterwards, and even worse the next day.

5. Corollary to 4: If I’m going to cheat, I’m going to workout beforehand. Thinking of my harwork at the gym reminds me to keep it under control.

6. Don’t let other people make you feel bad for taking care of yourself, simply because they don’t care for themselves. I’ve had people (read: out of shape, skinny-fat and fat-fat) friends turn it around when I won’t go out drinking/eating/whatever/etc, and tell me I have a problem and I’m obsessed. I enjoy how I live, I’m healthy as get-out, etc. Every now and then it’s ok, but it’s not a lifestyle.

Couldn’t agree more with the above post that friends can be ‘toxic’ - gotta learn to stand up for yourself.[/quote]

why can’t you go out to drink you dont have to drink jsut hang out or out to eat. there is no place where you can’t eat healthy. if you make being skinny envelope your life you are obsessed.

[quote]dannyrat wrote:
What do you guys think is a good order? i’ve been gaining for a few months, now i’ve got a lil gut (not big) plus new muscle. I want to get bigger, but not like that, over winter. My plan- i think some more cardio 4 times or so a week, in addition to still training with weights the same frequency/intensity, for a few months, then do the velocity diet in september/october to get a lean foundation for winter bulking. Sound good? Any experience would be nice. Cheers[/quote]

If you’ve been fat before, you’re really never going to be satisfied with yourself. I know I won’t. But that can be a good thing, though. Who among us wants to reach a point where we’re satisfied with our bodies? I know that mentality would be my downfall. The key is learning to manage the constant battle between the head and the heart.

Everybody I know has commented about how good I look now. My wife sees a huge difference compared to a year ago. Even one of my co-workers calls me ‘Slim’ when he sees me. I’m probably at 15% bf right now, which is far better than probably 95% of the people I work with. But I still feel fat. And I’m going to continue to “feel” fat from here on out.

So I’ve just got to get over that feeling and accept that I look a hell of a lot better than I have in a very long time. If I gain some fat along with the muscle, I’m still going to be in a better boat than I was before I started caring about my health.

I think that if I were to bulk for a few months and then cut, I’d lose more muscle than I really should. My intermediate goal is to reach 200 lbs of LBM (I’m around 160 right now). I know I’m not going to gain 40 lbs of LBM very quickly by bulking and cutting and bulking and cutting. But I can definitely get there by bulking. And if I do a clean bulk, it will definitely minimize fat gain.

I’m willing to live with the extra fat until my LBM is where I want it. Only then will I worry about cutting. I just keep telling myself that my self image is always going to be worse than the person others see. And as long as I’m gaining muscle, the fat I have is going to be distributed a little differently than it used to be. Having slabs of muscle underneath the fat does affect how you look.

Just avoid the shit foods like sodas and donuts as much as you can. I used to be skinny fat and although I’m softer than I was when I started my bulk 8 months ago, I’m not to the point where anyone would call me fat.

[quote]Defender wrote:
dannyrat wrote:
What do you guys think is a good order? i’ve been gaining for a few months, now i’ve got a lil gut (not big) plus new muscle. I want to get bigger, but not like that, over winter. My plan- i think some more cardio 4 times or so a week, in addition to still training with weights the same frequency/intensity, for a few months, then do the velocity diet in september/october to get a lean foundation for winter bulking. Sound good? Any experience would be nice. Cheers

If you’ve been fat before, you’re really never going to be satisfied with yourself. I know I won’t. But that can be a good thing, though. Who among us wants to reach a point where we’re satisfied with our bodies? I know that mentality would be my downfall. The key is learning to manage the constant battle between the head and the heart.

Everybody I know has commented about how good I look now. My wife sees a huge difference compared to a year ago. Even one of my co-workers calls me ‘Slim’ when he sees me. I’m probably at 15% bf right now, which is far better than probably 95% of the people I work with. But I still feel fat. And I’m going to continue to “feel” fat from here on out.

So I’ve just got to get over that feeling and accept that I look a hell of a lot better than I have in a very long time. If I gain some fat along with the muscle, I’m still going to be in a better boat than I was before I started caring about my health.

I think that if I were to bulk for a few months and then cut, I’d lose more muscle than I really should. My intermediate goal is to reach 200 lbs of LBM (I’m around 160 right now). I know I’m not going to gain 40 lbs of LBM very quickly by bulking and cutting and bulking and cutting. But I can definitely get there by bulking. And if I do a clean bulk, it will definitely minimize fat gain.

I’m willing to live with the extra fat until my LBM is where I want it. Only then will I worry about cutting. I just keep telling myself that my self image is always going to be worse than the person others see. And as long as I’m gaining muscle, the fat I have is going to be distributed a little differently than it used to be. Having slabs of muscle underneath the fat does affect how you look.[/quote]

you also have to realize the mroe muscle you have the better that fat will look . cause 20 pounds of fat on someone 100 pounds isnt the same as 20 pounds on someone who is 240. i agree with the statement that i will never be happy with the way i look my self image is gone from beign fat for so long. i finally got a six pack and i still look in the mirror and think of myself as fat. its kind of disturbing. most body builders are never satisfied. its an addiction for most before who are truely into it.

[quote]budlight1 wrote:

why can’t you go out to drink you dont have to drink jsut hang out or out to eat. there is no place where you can’t eat healthy. if you make being skinny envelope your life you are obsessed.[/quote]

Your post is barely intelligable, but I shall attempt to answer it.
Who said anything about being ‘skinny’ enveloping anyone’s life?

I go out, have fun, etcetera, with my friends. Maybe a good reason Americans are so fat/unhealthy is because so many social functions are centralised around, you know, eating? I’d much rather hang out, play games/sports/whatever.

i’m a FFB and i’m extremely fat phobic. I still have a bit of flab. I would estimate at my current weight of 187 at 5’10". I probably am at like 15% BF which means i probably have about 30 lbs of fat on me.

I am bulking right now and have been for about 4 months, i’m getting to the point where even my top abs have smoothed over, but surprisingly i think I look leaner. I eat extremely clean with no cheating.

I’m planning on cutting when i reach 195 or 200. which is probably another 2 months. I may give into my pussy ways and give up somewhere in the middle and begin to cut.

someone point me in the right direction, i’m going pussy!

[quote]mauser wrote:
budlight1 wrote:

why can’t you go out to drink you dont have to drink jsut hang out or out to eat. there is no place where you can’t eat healthy. if you make being skinny envelope your life you are obsessed.

I go out, have fun, etcetera, with my friends. Maybe a good reason Americans are so fat/unhealthy is because so many social functions are centralised around, you know, eating? I’d much rather hang out, play games/sports/whatever. [/quote]

Yea, and drinking.

I’m going out tonight and I’m bringing one extra “meal” with me for my daily allowance, and I’ll drink one less tomorrow because I’ll sleep in for a while in the morning.

I won’t be drinking any alcohol at all, so I’m driving.

I’ve learned through trial and error, and a whole lot more trials that I get fat very quickly with beer, and not so quickly, but still fast with liquor and diet soda.

Even faster than pigging out on over processed foods.

For me, alcohol while dieting is strictly forbidden, even on any cheat day or cheat meal. Not one drink.

[quote]mauser wrote:
budlight1 wrote:

I go out, have fun, etcetera, with my friends. Maybe a good reason Americans are so fat/unhealthy is because so many social functions are centralised around, you know, eating? I’d much rather hang out, play games/sports/whatever. [/quote]

1. Don’t let other people make you feel bad for taking care of yourself, simply because they don’t care for themselves. I’ve had people (read: out of shape, skinny-fat and fat-fat) friends turn it around when I won’t go out drinking/eating/whatever/etc, and tell me I have a problem and I’m obsessed. I enjoy how I live, I’m healthy as get-out, etc. Every now and then it’s ok, but it’s not a lifestyle.

you said it right in this paragraph you won’t go out to eat with your friends or go out drinking. you can hang out at a resturant and eat healthy and you can go to parties and bars and stay sober.

and just to let you know skinny-fat doesnt exist its called lack of muscle

i love this thread, it’s so weird seeing other people that go through the same things i do…growing up as the chubby kid i used to hate fat, and had a phobia towards it…but now i basically accept it and know that it comes with bulking, so many people tell me that if i cut now i would look awesome…but i don’t wanna be just awesome, i wanna be out of this wolrd…and even then i doubt i’ll be happy…

one thing i did find out when i was starting this is that i do best when i only drink water, milk, and protein shakes, nothing else…not because i react badly to juices/pop/beer, but because i know it’ll be a snowball effect and next thinkg i know i’ll be having lunch with a 2 litter mountain dew next to me…

As a fat boy still, I am trying to do things a little differantly then what I’ve been reading about. I am not really trying to lose any weight here. I like the weight I’m at (250 at 6feet) But I am working at losing the fat. I started about 6months ago seriously working out and eating clean, at about 25% BF. My weight has stayed pretty well the same right around 250, but I have dropped my BF down to about 18% or so. I’ve basicly been able to do this by eating clean but still eating at maintence or just above.

It might not be the ideal way to do it, but sometimes I still like to sit down with a homemade pizza or some nachos. I know if I cut stuff like that out I would make better progress but its not that important to me right now maybe in the future but not now.

[quote]Raimisch wrote:
As a fat boy still, I am trying to do things a little differantly then what I’ve been reading about. I am not really trying to lose any weight here. I like the weight I’m at (250 at 6feet) But I am working at losing the fat. I started about 6months ago seriously working out and eating clean, at about 25% BF. My weight has stayed pretty well the same right around 250, but I have dropped my BF down to about 18% or so. I’ve basicly been able to do this by eating clean but still eating at maintence or just above.

It might not be the ideal way to do it, but sometimes I still like to sit down with a homemade pizza or some nachos. I know if I cut stuff like that out I would make better progress but its not that important to me right now maybe in the future but not now.[/quote]

its all about being happy with yourself and life itself. I drink alcohol on the weekends and i know it effects my body comp but if it wasn’t for that i would have nothing to enjoy after a stressful week. if your thin but you don’t have fun whats the point of beign thin?

I have subbed all sodas (“liquid sugar”)…I buy San Pellegrino water by the case (2-3 at a time) and drink that instead…I know the purists will scoff, saying the carbonation will distend the belly, but which is better? a little temporary bulge, or excess empty cals going to your fat cells?..I think it aids digestion also…

Good point about always being ‘almost there’. Depressing, but motivating! To make this better i read ct, jb, etc, but only look at pictures of sfb’s (still fat boys) as it’s more positive. Nah but this is an awesome thread, lets stick together :wink:

Hey guys, I am currently trying to bulk
(6’3, a measly 152 lbs)

Could you guys help me out by posting some of your bulking diets as examples? I would like to see what FFBs used to bulk up without returning to FAT BOY status.

Currently I eat–

Breakfast - 1/2 cup oatmeal, 5 egg whites, 1 cup 1% milk.

2 hours later - Whole Wheat English Muffin with 2 tbs Natty PB.

Lunch - Chicken Breast with veggies

2 hours later - veggies with 1/2 cup cottage cheese

Dinner - Some source of lean meat w/ yams or corn and a veggie

Pre bed - 1/2 cup cottage cheese and some veggies.

Im obviously not getting enough calories (I usually work out in the morning after my breakfast). I would just like to see what you guys use as a bulking base…im aiming to put on the weight slowly, and to minimize the fat gains.

Thanks guys!