Fewer vs More Exercises

Lets say for chest you do bench press 4 sets, dumbbell incline press 3 sets, and then cable crossovers for 3 sets

Would it be better to keep it that way or to move those sets from cable crossovers to bench press, and since its more taxing on the nervous system to do bench press, maybe you do 1 extra work set and then after your failure set you do a set for 20 so 6 sets but no cable crossovers

what do you think is optimal in this regard fewer exercises but more sets or more exercises?

[quote]buildsomemuscle wrote:
Lets say for chest you do bench press 4 sets, dumbbell incline press 3 sets, and then cable crossovers for 3 sets

Would it be better to keep it that way or to move those sets from cable crossovers to bench press, and since its more taxing on the nervous system to do bench press, maybe you do 1 extra work set and then after your failure set you do a set for 20 so 6 sets but no cable crossovers

what do you think is optimal in this regard fewer exercises but more sets or more exercises? [/quote]

Without offering an opinion on the number of sets per station etc. IMO…your approach with two compound pressing stations followed by one isolation station is superior to a session with only pressing.

I’ve had periods where I’ve used both approaches, and IMO both have benefits to offer.

For a beginner, I would think that it’s not necessary to every single exercise available for every bodypart.

S

Optimal for what? Building your chest or building your bench?