T Nation

Few Pointers/Ideas on My Log

I have been posting my log for a few days but i guess people dont check out others logs that often (maybe im wrong)

I am just wondering if someone has a few seconds to take a look at my log and give me some advice or just anything i could or should change. Not asking this because I’m lazy, im asking this because I know that there are so extremely knowledgable people on here.

If you have a second it would be great, thanks ahead of time.

[quote]carltmac wrote:
I am just wondering if someone has a few seconds to take a look at my log and give me some advice or just anything[/quote]

Hmmm… I think it might be infected. Did she smell funny? Like a feta cheese tuna melt?

pokes log with a stick

You should definitely see a doc about that.

Ok, so I took a real look at it.

#1: Do your damn leg work. No excuses, and don’t dare say that your legs get enough of a workout from jogging. That doesn’t cut it. Do your damn leg work.

#2: Your chest/triceps day looks good. Don’t forget to vary your grip on the triceps exercises every now and then.

#3: Good on ya for relying on the mirror to check your progress. Just keep working hard, you’ll see results.

That’s all I got for now.

No more excuses is right! What I meant is that from work (I rake asphalt allday) that my legs get tirred. But now Friday is my leg day. Would it be good to make friday my leg and shoulder say because to be honest I dont do any shoulders really.

Thanks alot for the advice man… if u can think of any quick foods u make and have a second it would be great because I am getting sick of some of the food hah.

Anyone…

[quote]carltmac wrote:
No more excuses is right! What I meant is that from work (I rake asphalt allday) that my legs get tirred. But now Friday is my leg day. Would it be good to make friday my leg and shoulder say because to be honest I dont do any shoulders really. [/quote]

Sounds good. You really should get some shoulder work in. Wider shoulders make for a much more impressive physique.

[quote]Thanks alot for the advice man… if u can think of any quick foods u make and have a second it would be great because I am getting sick of some of the food hah.
[/quote]

Meh. I eat a lot of the same stuff all the time. When most of your meals are a necessity just to meet your caloric intake for the day, it tends to become ‘just food’. Kind of like breathing. You only pay attention when something smells good.

For shoulders, so some heavy military presses(or push presses), some lateral raises, and some front raises. That’s a good way to start.

So on Leg day I will go

Squats

Calve Raises

Deads

Military

Shrugs

Lateral/Front raises (should I do both or just one or the other each workout)

Also, as you guys have probably seen in my log, I always try to go for 4 sets of 8 reps…
is that ideal for what I am doing? Losing fat while trying to keep everyone ounce of muscle I can?

Also I am wondering about my eating, I am not very knowledgeable with nutrition (especially for dieting) but is eating a fruit or having a protein shake real close to bed bad for my progress? I have been having a protein shake pretty close to when I go to sleep FOR MONTHS and I just read in a post to try and keep whey poweder mostly for the morning?

Thanks alot once again guys, hope you guys are alright will allthese questions because I will probably have a few more

Really appreciate it

[quote]carltmac wrote:
So on Leg day I will go

Squats

Calve Raises

Deads

Military

Shrugs

Triads (Lateral, then front raise, then DB press all in one set)[/quote]

^^ fixed. You could probably do without the shrugs, but it’s fine to leave them in there.

[quote]Also, as you guys have probably seen in my log, I always try to go for 4 sets of 8 reps…
is that ideal for what I am doing? Losing fat while trying to keep everyone ounce of muscle I can?[/quote]

There is no reason to stick to one rep/set scheme. Even during a single workout, I may have lifts that I do for singles and others I do for 3x10. You would probably do better with lower reps for your heavy compound movements and a bit higher for isolation moves.

As long as it falls within your caloric requirements it can’t be that bad. Do you get up in the middle of the night hungry if you don’t?

I have never really measured my caloric intake. I just followed the 5 to 6 meals per day and went from there? Even last night with a little bit of meat and veggies at 9 and then the protein shake at 11 I woke up at 7 in the morning hungry as hell! (Didnt get a good sleep so I went back to bed untill 11:30, been getting REALLY bad sleeps the last few nights) Even now when I woke up at 11:30 and Im about to go for my jog and shit I am starving but I know its ideal to jog on an empty stomach.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
carltmac wrote:
So on Leg day I will go

Squats

Calve Raises

Deads

Military

Shrugs

Triads (Lateral, then front raise, then DB press all in one set)

^^ fixed. You could probably do without the shrugs, but it’s fine to leave them in there.

Also, as you guys have probably seen in my log, I always try to go for 4 sets of 8 reps…
is that ideal for what I am doing? Losing fat while trying to keep everyone ounce of muscle I can?

There is no reason to stick to one rep/set scheme. Even during a single workout, I may have lifts that I do for singles and others I do for 3x10. You would probably do better with lower reps for your heavy compound movements and a bit higher for isolation moves.

Also I am wondering about my eating, I am not very knowledgeable with nutrition (especially for dieting) but is eating a fruit or having a protein shake real close to bed bad for my progress? I have been having a protein shake pretty close to when I go to sleep FOR MONTHS and I just read in a post to try and keep whey poweder mostly for the morning?

As long as it falls within your caloric requirements it can’t be that bad. Do you get up in the middle of the night hungry if you don’t?[/quote]

Im probably wrong but isnt DB press the same thing as Military press?

Yep. But, of course, with dumbbells instead of a barbell.

alright sounds good man, but the thing is I have Military Press already in the workout no?

Don’t worry about that.

[quote]carltmac wrote:
alright sounds good man, but the thing is I have Military Press already in the workout no?[/quote]

Yes you do, but you still do them anyways.
Read

Do them after heavy military presses.

Awesome guys, looking forward to fridays workout! The only shitty thing is I might be going out of town from Friday till Tuesday. Either way Im happy, if I dont go ill have some sick workouts and if I do, well… I’m out of town so thats always nice.

Like I say in almost all my posts, any ideas for food would be awesome, really getting sick of the same foods daily, plus im getting king of hungry between meals.

Once again, thanks a lot

For meals, I grill a bunch of meat every week, put it in ziplocks and tupperware, and eat all week. Takes three hours total, and I eat GOOD!

85/15 burgers, chicken thighs and breasts, pork loin chops and roasts, steaks… OM NOM NOM NOM.

The big bonus is that it cuts down on daily prep time and saves money on the electric bill. $3 worth of charcoal will cook a LOT of food.

thats actually a great idea, saves time for sure. That would have been awesome for me when I was working but now that im laid off Im not really pressurred for time. Is Pork a good meat for me to be eating while on a weight loss diet? Always thought I should stay away from pork? (maybe im wrong)

Also I’m wondering how you make your burgers, obv I wouldnt have the buns but some nice big pattys would be freaking unreal to have, a nice new idea. I’m just wondering how to make the pattys because I prob shouldnt use bread crumbs and eggs for the recipe right?

Just let me know if you guys are sick of my questions haha.

Thanks a lot again man.

[quote]carltmac wrote:
Is Pork a good meat for me to be eating while on a weight loss diet? Always thought I should stay away from pork? (maybe im wrong)[/quote]

Not sure. I think white meat pork is pretty lean, but I’ve never seen it on a diet food list.

[quote]
Also I’m wondering how you make your burgers, obv I wouldnt have the buns but some nice big pattys would be freaking unreal to have, a nice new idea. I’m just wondering how to make the pattys because I prob shouldnt use bread crumbs and eggs for the recipe right?[/quote]

I use pre-made 1/3lb patties. Two of those with a slice of American cheese, and whatever condiments I feel like that day. That’s roughly 1200 Cals, though. I have to eat a lot to maintain 205lbs.

Ya I think im going to have to just look around for a recipe to suit my diet. Thanks tho.

So this morning I went on my jog and fuck man, I think I need to wake up, eat my breakfast and stuff, take a hour break and then go for my run. Ive been feeling real shitty the last few times, maybe because the weathers getting colder, maybe because I’m running on a completely empty stomach (last time I would have eaten would have been 1 am which was just a protein shake).