Few Days Off Then Back To Basics

[quote]Patriarch wrote:
Mon-Chest:

DB Bench set 1: 100lbs (cold) 5-6 reps
set 2: 100lbs squeeze out 2-3, drop to 85 or so and get about 3-4 more
set 3: 85lbs see what i can get out of it, if its too low ill drop down to the 70s

Incline Bench Press: set1: 135lbs 6 reps til fail
set2: 135lbs 8 reps til fail
set3: 135lbs 8-10 reps til fail

…i dont know why but my incline bench is the only lift i get progressively higher on my reps as the exercise continues.

I’m confused. You can do 100 lb DB bench press for 5-6 reps on the first set, but can only do 2-3 reps on the second set? And, after that, you have to drop all the way down to 85 or 70?

How long do you rest between sets? I wouldn’t think you’d lose your strength that quickly.

Then, are you using 135 lb dumbbells for your incline press, or are you only doing 135 lbs total with a barbell? How can you being doing 100 lb DB bench presses, and then drop all the way to 135 lb barbell bench press for inclines?[/quote]

right i start off benching with 100’s and i dont know when i get done with that set i wait a bit and pick them again and then try and get as many as i can which usually is only like 3. then i move done so i can keep my reps in the 6-8 range.

and yea i move immediately to incline bench afterwards and for some reason ive been stuck using 135-155 x8-10 for what seems like forever.

the reason may have to do that i go all out on every single set and every single rep. ive had DB Bench reps that take me like 30 to get up, but i get it up.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
you’re probably depressed from lack of macros in your diet along with lack of omega-3s.

seriously, the diet needs some attention[/quote]

the only problem i could see is lack of calories, not lack of macros. like i said i dont drink nothing but milk but milk DOES have a balance of protein, carbs, and fat. so like i said assuming i get a good caloric intake my macro balance should be fine.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i rackpull 405 for 8 though lol.

i was doing deadlifts before then i decided to move to rackpulls instead. when you talk about going back to a barbell are you talking about benching or deadlifting? i just switched from BB to DBs about 2 months ago or something. i may get back into it though.

the reason i havent dont anything lower than 6-8 well, sometimes i only get bout 5 reps out of something, is that my numbers for low reps dont seem to be too much higher than my numbers for moderate reps. i guess a lot of people think oh, if you can do 300 for 8 reps on something you should be able to get 3, but im just not good with low reps.[/quote]

In that case try working in only low reps for a while with ridiculous weight and a spotter.

Alot of handling heavy weight is just getting used to it.

I would drop to no more than 5 reps and go for more weight, once you get some practice with it your numbers will probably shoot up.

[quote]RWElder0 wrote:
Guess I have you confused with someone else.[/quote]

I’m the guy from Boston that posts hammered.

sorry, meant micros

yeah my micro content is shit, i havent even taken multi-vits in a year or so.

i dont know maybe im overlooking their significane? i always just figured all ya really need is protein, fat and carbs.

You must have amazing tolerance if you don’t feel sluggish from that much milk and yogurt every day. You said you can’t cook, but would it be possible to get something like a foreman grill? Even if you don’t have better results with more solid food, I’d think you would enjoy some variety.

jehovasfitness wrote:
you’re probably depressed from lack of macros in your diet along with lack of omega-3s.

seriously, the diet needs some attention

the only problem i could see is lack of calories, not lack of macros. like i said i dont drink nothing but milk but milk DOES have a balance of protein, carbs, and fat. so like i said assuming i get a good caloric intake my macro balance should be fine.[/quote]

You claim you’re drinking 5600 calories of milk/day. How is lack of calories the problem?

I don’t see a problem with you drinking all that milk if you feel good from it, but you definitely need more solid food. Meat is awesome.

i feel a little sluggish but it varies. like if im just sitten around i feel like shit or if im bored. but if im active doing something and everyone around me is doing something i feel fine. i do feel a little depressed these days but i think it just might have to do with the fact im getting no ass right now and my job isnt exactly paying me big bucks either. oh that and the fact everytime im extremely judgemental on my body and ive been thinking that ive been getting smaller ever since i started lifting…well obviously not that long but i think you get my point.

just everytime i see myself im dissatisfied. even though people give me compliments on a daily basis i dont think im as big as they do. i would actually say that yea, the number one problem in my mood has been my lack of progress on size. i feel like ive been looking the same for months and months on end. even if i get more reps or more weight its not convincing to me eye. shit sucks.

i think after this week off ill try my program with a logbook to track progression and if all else fails im gonna try out DC.

I don’t think your “lack of progress to the eye” issue is uncommon. I get compliments from people on a daily basis, people say I am HUGE…but I feel fucking small still and bulking just makes me feel fat AND small, but you gotta keep stickin with it.

Its hard to notice changes in yourself because you look at yourself in the mirror every damn day before you get in the shower probably. The only time I really go “Wow I have gotten bigger” is when someone shows me old pictures and new pictures side by side.

On a side note: its really weird seeing serious posts from you. lol

i dont know maybe im overlooking their significane? i always just figured all ya really need is protein, fat and carbs. [/quote]

you’re kidding right? vitamins/mineral, they’re kinda important

[quote]josh86 wrote:
I don’t think your “lack of progress to the eye” issue is uncommon. I get compliments from people on a daily basis, people say I am HUGE…but I feel fucking small still and bulking just makes me feel fat AND small, but you gotta keep stickin with it.

Its hard to notice changes in yourself because you look at yourself in the mirror every damn day before you get in the shower probably. The only time I really go “Wow I have gotten bigger” is when someone shows me old pictures and new pictures side by side.

On a side note: its really weird seeing serious posts from you. lol[/quote]

im all business when it comes to training. im generally serious about all my posts i just throw my sense of humor in there too. anything that has to do with human development im serious about.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

i dont know maybe im overlooking their significane? i always just figured all ya really need is protein, fat and carbs.

you’re kidding right? vitamins/mineral, they’re kinda important[/quote]

for some moreso than others. i dont really care about health. im not joe nutrition, i just want to get bigger and thats all i care about.

jehovasfitness wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

you’re kidding right? vitamins/mineral, they’re kinda important

for some moreso than others. i dont really care about health. im not joe nutrition, i just want to get bigger and thats all i care about.[/quote]

Results come best when you take both of those points along together.

A lot of the essential vitamins and minerals are co-factors for enzymes involved in DNA replication (needed for growth), hormone synthesis (testosterone etc.) and normal metabolic function. Vitamins and minerals are often referred to as essential because they are required for normal/optimal function and a lack of them leads to a diseased state.

Eating vitamins and minerals from veggie, fruit and good qual. protein will most likely improve your mood, energy levels and lead to better progress in the gym.

Eat properly and you will likely grow faster and avoid deficiencies.

i might get some of that Biotest Superfood and see if it actually makes a difference.

Heres what i wanna know, how important is training to failure? i think ever since i started ive always trained to failure. one of my first few times ever lifting, in my friends basement, i musta overdone it because the next day i wake up and my left forearm is completely inflamed and like 3x its normal size.

i think having that drive is something you either have or you dont, not sure you can learn it or what and i think its what seperates people, but anyway…

i do it on every set, i dont care what lift it is, how many reps, what set, i bring it as hard as i can til i cant no more. you guys think its really nesecary? i mean you can look at my training post and see i start off with 100lb dumb bells and my very next exercise i have to drop the weight to 135 on a barbell.

you think i may be better off just workin maybe 1 or 2 reps before failure on my first lifts (since theyre the heaviest) and going to failure on just the less strenuous exercises like cable flys and ham curls?

…i wish i could get more people in here that were bigger than me ;( …no offense guys.

I know what you mean about the drive needed to constantly train to failure because i was big in to H.I.T for a while.

As long as you are progressivly increasing weight and reps wether you train to failure or not is unimportant.

Heres what i wanna know, how important is training to failure? i think ever since i started ive always trained to failure.

one of my first few times ever lifting, in my friends basement, i musta overdone it because the next day i wake up and my left forearm is completely inflamed and like 3x its normal size.

i think having that drive is something you either have or you dont, not sure you can learn it or what and i think its what seperates people, but anyway…

i do it on every set, i dont care what lift it is, how many reps, what set, i bring it as hard as i can til i cant no more. you guys think its really nesecary? i mean you can look at my training post and see i start off with 100lb dumb bells and my very next exercise i have to drop the weight to 135 on a barbell.

you think i may be better off just workin maybe 1 or 2 reps before failure on my first lifts (since theyre the heaviest) and going to failure on just the less strenuous exercises like cable flys and ham curls?

…i wish i could get more people in here that were bigger than me ;( …no offense guys.[/quote]

I used to build up the weight progressively over 5 sets (doing 10-8 reps each set) and the last set I went all out to failure, the others not so much.

I found I gained most size doing this with 4-5 exercises in a split routine.

Example: Hammer strength chest press
Set 1 - 20kg plate a side for easy 10 reps
Set 2 - 20kg & 10kg plate a side for 10
Set 3 - 2 20kg plates for 10
Set 4 - 2 20kg & 10kg for 9
Set 5 - 3 20kg for 8

I started doing that after reading through professor X’s training in-sights a long time ago.

[quote]drenelin wrote:
A lot of the essential vitamins and minerals are co-factors for enzymes involved in DNA replication (needed for growth), hormone synthesis (testosterone etc.) and normal metabolic function.

Vitamins and minerals are often referred to as essential because they are required for normal/optimal function and a lack of them leads to a diseased state.

Eating vitamins and minerals from veggie, fruit and good qual. protein will most likely improve your mood, energy levels and lead to better progress in the gym.

Eat properly and you will likely grow faster and avoid deficiencies.[/quote]

Second what he said. It doesn’t take tons of veggies and fruits for you to satisfy what your body needs, but it seems like you are getting NONE. There are certain compounds your body needs that it can’t get anywhere else but from diet.

This is about health AND lifting. If your body doesn’t have these things, it will not repair itself and it will not grow.