Feminization of Men

Reading an article about Rocky, Stallone has a great quote. Lately, he’s been trying to cast a young man to star opposite him in “Rambo IV,” which he will begin shooting in January. “I’m looking for the next Robert Mitchum or Steve McQueen, and they don’t exist,” he says. “All these young actors are tough in, like, ‘The O.C.’ They’re watching the Super Bowl at Frederic Fekkai [salon], getting highlights and a manicure. What happened to beer and chips and scratching your b—s?”

Amen

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
Reading an article about Rocky, Stallone has a great quote. Lately, he’s been trying to cast a young man to star opposite him in “Rambo IV,” which he will begin shooting in January. “I’m looking for the next Robert Mitchum or Steve McQueen, and they don’t exist,” he says. “All these young actors are tough in, like, ‘The O.C.’ They’re watching the Super Bowl at Frederic Fekkai [salon], getting highlights and a manicure. What happened to beer and chips and scratching your b—s?”

Amen[/quote]

For the most part I agree. Although he wouldn’t fit Jason Stratham (Crank, Transporter, and Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels) doesn’t fit this category. This dude is bad-ass.
Hell, even when he’s playing a sissy (London - great movie), he’s still tough.

Maybe girly-man Orlando Bloom could work?! He was “buff” in Troy, wasn’t he? HAHA

haha thats great…

I dont know where I read this, perhaps on this site, or who said it but it goes, “ever wonder why when they need to cast a rugged male role for an american movie, they cast an Australian…” or something like that…

[quote]AllTraps wrote:
jp_dubya wrote:

Amen

For the most part I agree. Although he wouldn’t fit Jason Stratham (Crank, Transporter, and Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels) doesn’t fit this category. This dude is bad-ass.
Hell, even when he’s playing a sissy (London - great movie), he’s still tough.

Maybe girly-man Orlando Bloom could work?! He was “buff” in Troy, wasn’t he? HAHA[/quote]

Jason isn’t exactly a “young man” these days, but he is definitely badass.

Hahaha. Well, Sly said it right.

We need another big war or something to beat “The Gay” out of guys…

The one thing I can say is that I think the trend is reversing a bit- people are getting tired of the meterosexuals and all that. Being tougher is starting to seperate us from the crowd, and the women are beginning to like old school guys again I believe.

The pendulum will swing back…and then hopefully break and fall off.

I have new found respect for Stallone. That quote is even better as I have seen so many damn Stallone movies that I could hear him say that when I read it and it did bring a smile to my face…the only thing though. Please Sly, don’t ruin the Rambo series.

[quote]
The pendulum will swing back…and then hopefully break and fall off.[/quote]

And take a few of them with it.

Had a conversation with a colleague at work the other day about some guy hitting on her. “He’s not very … manly” was the comment which made me almost spit my coffee on her. I don’t know where the media get their info from but I’m sure women still want a tough guy rather than a sissy girly man.

I vote Vin Diesel. Yeah he’s got a lot of cheese but he’s got a decent build, more than most Hollywood guys, and he’s a hardass in every movie. I didn’t and wont see the Pacifier so that doesn’t count.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

The one thing I can say is that I think the trend is reversing a bit- people are getting tired of the meterosexuals and all that. Being tougher is starting to seperate us from the crowd, and the women are beginning to like old school guys again I believe.

The pendulum will swing back…and then hopefully break and fall off.[/quote]
Bring back the draft and rid ourselves of this “Pussification of America” I think every American male should at least complete Basic Training. You’ll learn survival, cpr,discipline,organization, and respect.

Tom Jane.

The Punisher kicked ass. Yeh Jane aint huge but he’s big enough to be a tough guy.

Men’s Health claims to be the largest selling men’s magazine in the U.S., look what they’re pushing.

[quote]bluepulse wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

The pendulum will swing back…and then hopefully break and fall off.
Bring back the draft and rid ourselves of this “Pussification of America” I think every American male should at least complete Basic Training. You’ll learn survival, cpr,discipline,organization, and respect.

[/quote]

I agree.

[quote]bluepulse wrote:
Bring back the draft and rid ourselves of this “Pussification of America” I think every American male should at least complete Basic Training. You’ll learn survival, cpr,discipline,organization, and respect.[/quote]

I don’t necessarily believe that. You don’t have to be in the military to be a real man.

I cannot mention names but… My wife and I had invited “someone male” over for, get this, a (free) steak dinner from the backyard grill. This “person” declined. His excuse? “I’m getting my eyebrows waxed”. Can you freakin’ believe a steak dinner turned down for an eyebrow wax appointment?

I see a bad moon risin’

[quote]derek wrote:
I cannot mention names but… My wife and I had invited “someone male” over for, get this, a (free) steak dinner from the backyard grill. This “person” declined. His excuse? “I’m getting my eyebrows waxed”. Can you freakin’ believe a steak dinner turned down for an eyebrow wax appointment?

I see a bad moon risin’[/quote]

It’s not our fault you have gay friends.

[quote]derek wrote:

I see a bad moon risin’[/quote]

Or maybe he’s tasted your “steak” before.

[quote]BlakeAE wrote:
I vote Vin Diesel. Yeah he’s got a lot of cheese but he’s got a decent build, more than most Hollywood guys, and he’s a hardass in every movie. I didn’t and wont see the Pacifier so that doesn’t count.[/quote]

I actually met Vin Diesel this summer just chilling on down off Canal street below china town. I have no idea what the hell he was doing but I shook his hand and was extremely impressed.

He is short, as I’m sure you’re all aware. However, he is every inch a badass and an intimidating figure to be sure.

I called him “Mr. Diesel.” My friends thought it was hilarious.

So, yeah, I was a sheepish fanboy who ran up and shook hands with a celebrity just to say I could. I admit it.

Hell, it was Vin Diesel.

[quote]jedidiah wrote:
BlakeAE wrote:
I vote Vin Diesel. Yeah he’s got a lot of cheese but he’s got a decent build, more than most Hollywood guys, and he’s a hardass in every movie. I didn’t and wont see the Pacifier so that doesn’t count.

I actually met Vin Diesel this summer just chilling on down off Canal street below china town. I have no idea what the hell he was doing but I shook his hand and was extremely impressed.

He is short, as I’m sure you’re all aware. However, he is every inch a badass and an intimidating figure to be sure.

I called him “Mr. Diesel.” My friends thought it was hilarious.

So, yeah, I was a sheepish fanboy who ran up and shook hands with a celebrity just to say I could. I admit it.

Hell, it was Vin Diesel. [/quote]

I heard Vin Diesel is gay.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
derek wrote:

I see a bad moon risin’

It’s not our fault you have gay friends.[/quote]

I guess that’d be funny if he didn’t have some sweet looking girlfriends including his current one. And if I didn’t get some dman fine cuts of beef coming from my grill.

Maybe both of you are gay? It’s ok, your secrets are safe with us. Try PM-ing each other. You may be a perfect pair!

I’m sure I’m going to get flamed for this, but some of it has to be said.

I’m an English major, and I specialize in gender theory (no, I’m straight as an arrow) The whole idea surrounding gender theory is to examine the roles we’re forced into so that we can CHOOSE to do things, not be unconsciously FORCED into things by the roles society puts on us.

Typically, in a patriarchal society, men and molded to become a direct opposition to femininity, because that helps in the oppression of women. Men are modeled to be strong, to imply women become weak. Men are raised assertive, to make women submissive, and so on. Conforming to these roles unconsciously only perpetuates the stupidity.

I’m not saying that men shouldn’t be strong, or assertive. What I’m saying is that men are still men regardless of how physically dominant or mentally assertive they are. PEOPLE should be strong and mentally assertive. The only thing that makes you “manly” dangles between your legs–everything else is a result of your personal choice to conform to what others tell you to be.

As for the comments about men waxing and getting manicures, yes I think it’s BS, but I think it’s BS because it’s unnecessarily vain, not because it makes them “feminine,” anymore than watching the superbowl makes them “masculine.”

I also think basic training would be good for men (and women) because it would instill a necessary focus on physical fitness and cooperation in a society that has become self-centered, lazy, and superficial.

If you’re threatened by the image of a more “feminine” man, perhaps you need to take a long look at what you think a man is, and why. Are the traits that you associate with manliness entirely due to the biological differences between men and women, or is there a LOT more social issues behind them?

Flame, if you will, but THINK.

Cheers.