Feminists Blaming the Media

[quote]digitalairair wrote:

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
I am a feminist but for me that just means I want equal opportunity. Nothing more. If I can’t do the job don’t hire me. Just give me a fair shot.
I know a lot of women that feel that way. Feminist has become such a dirty word. BUT, … so some of you may want to know, for those of us today that are my kind of feminist, it just means we want a chance and not that we are not anti-men. Love men. Men are good. Just about the opportunities!
=)

p.s. I am only speaking for myself and those friends of mine that feel the same. I am pretty sure there are all kinds of Feminists out there these days.
[/quote]

the attack is not out on feminists. But on people who instead of looking within themselves and realizing their innate potentials lash out on society and blame the media and think that everything is the result of “culture”. Feminists tend to do that, or not all of them do.

Feminists and art school hipsters.

I remember arguing about how beauty is innate and that almost everyone in the world, and that any time in history, people will think Jessica Alba is hot and Brad Pitt is sex.

They were like NOOOoOooo did u see the Ruben’s paintings? did u see how Picasso painted a bunch of anorexic 120 pounders playing guitar and they were sold for millions!?

WTF. that’s a style in art, it’s trendy in an artistic sense. It doesn’t mean that hose fat women in Ruben’s painting are going to get picked over Jessica alba in real life by MOST men’s (freaks out there i know) standard for a good night fuck.[/quote]

Do you not see that you are using the term Feminist as if there is only one kind?
I greatly appreciate that you are clarifying but I think you may need to broaden your terms.

Also, I love your Brad Pitt thread. Fella you knocked it out of the park!!! good job. =)

Celeste

Everyone should read:
Feminism and the Invisible Fat Man
http://bod.sagepub.com/content/13/1/107.abstract?rss=1

Great part near then end when they discuss how the equation fat=female (something discussed ad nausium in the media by feminists) has normalized the fear of fatness as part of being female has evolved into “fat talk” - where girls/women bond in complaining about having too much fat. So, basically, women have become their own worst enemy - and its even worse for girls.

If interested I have a *pdf.

I am a feminist but for me that just means I want equal opportunity. Nothing more. If I can’t do the job don’t hire me. Just give me a fair shot.
I know a lot of women that feel that way. Feminist has become such a dirty word. BUT, … so some of you may want to know, for those of us today that are my kind of feminist, it just means we want a chance and not that we are not anti-men. Love men. Men are good. Just about the opportunities!
=)

p.s. I am only speaking for myself and those friends of mine that feel the same. I am pretty sure there are all kinds of Feminists out there these days.
[/quote]

the attack is not out on feminists. But on people who instead of looking within themselves and realizing their innate potentials lash out on society and blame the media and think that everything is the result of “culture”. Feminists tend to do that, or not all of them do.

I remember arguing about how beauty is innate and that almost everyone in the world, and that any time in history, people will think Jessica Alba is hot and Brad Pitt is sex.

They were like NOOOoOooo did u see the Ruben’s paintings? did u see how Picasso painted a bunch of anorexic 120 pounders playing guitar and they were sold for millions!?

WTF. that’s a style in art, it’s trendy in an artistic sense. It doesn’t mean that hose fat women in Ruben’s painting are going to get picked over Jessica alba in real life by MOST men’s (freaks out there i know) standard for a good night fuck.[/quote]

Do you not see that you are using the term Feminist as if there is only one kind?
I greatly appreciate that you are clarifying but I think you may need to broaden your terms.

Also, I love your Brad Pitt thread. Fella you knocked it out of the park!!! good job. =)

Celeste
[/quote]

haha thanks. I am even more cut now so I might not look like him anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

I always feel that words like “Art” and “feminism” lose their meanings because too many people are stuffing definition or opinions or “facts” into them that they blow up into tiny pieces and people just sort of take the pieces they see fit and roll with it and think that other people’s pieces are not relevant. The only reason I still use those words is either to grab people’s attention like in this video, or that i have no other way/choice but to use them in order to communicate.

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:
Everyone should read:
Feminism and the Invisible Fat Man
http://bod.sagepub.com/content/13/1/107.abstract?rss=1

Great part near then end when they discuss how the equation fat=female (something discussed ad nausium in the media by feminists) has normalized the fear of fatness as part of being female has evolved into “fat talk” - where girls/women bond in complaining about having too much fat. So, basically, women have become their own worst enemy - and its even worse for girls.

If interested I have a *pdf.[/quote]

i am interested in this. can u send me the full article? thanks.

=)

[/quote]

Celeste
[/quote]

Then don’t define yourself as a feminist. Consider your self more of an “equalist”. The sad truth is that you can’t do much about the loud obnoxious twits who hijack the term for their own ends, so all you can really do is distance yourself as much as possible.

Such is life.

:frowning:

Oh, the vast majority of the differences between men’s and women’s brains develop after birth - it’s cultures imprint.

Women put this pressure on themselves. It’s how we evolved and instinctive. I can bet you 10,000 years ago women were fixing themselves up to look better for men and the media wasn’t around then. What the media does is it brings beautiful women to all men and most can’t and don’t want to compete with them. They see them as a threat.

Women want all these things and they can’t realistically have them. They can’t be always attractive, career oriented, and raise a family at the same time. I don’t think most men could do it either. You might get a few women or men that could but the majority couldn’t. It’s not just the media, it’s feminists themselves who put that pressure of being equal in career to men while most women want to also raise a family.

About those statistics of women holding jobs in certain fields, if you polled stay at home dads you’d probably get maybe 1% of men as stay at home dads. So that’s another reason for why men outnumber women in those jobs. Would you complain about a disparity in physical labor jobs?

I guess both could try having a career while a nanny raises their children, but I think that would be hard on the children and women still have to take time off for that.

For those women to get what they want you’d have to remove man’s physical attraction to women and woman’s need to feel attractive. Never going to happen. It’s biological. Men will always want to look at and have sex with beautiful women. Women are always going to want to feel attractive and have men want/chase them. There’s no room for equality because it can’t logically exist.

Now I’m not saying some women can’t work harder than some men, but that depends on the individual. There is also still some discrimination, but if there weren’t it still wouldn’t be equal. Between a man and a woman that are equally qualified, it just makes more sense to hire a man in almost every case.

[quote]Makavali wrote:

=)

[/quote]

Celeste
[/quote]

Then don’t define yourself as a feminist. Consider your self more of an “equalist”. The sad truth is that you can’t do much about the loud obnoxious twits who hijack the term for their own ends, so all you can really do is distance yourself as much as possible.

Such is life.

:([/quote]

hhhmmmmm I like what you are saying but I also think I want to put it out there that Feminist isn’t just what a lot of folks think.
Perhaps I should fight harder to be a Feminist of my way to start the ball rolling?

Men also need to take a step back. We aren’t stealing from you if we earn it.

Celeste

hhhmmmmm I like what you are saying but I also think I want to put it out there that Feminist isn’t just what a lot of folks think.
Perhaps I should fight harder to be a Feminist of my way to start the ball rolling?

Celeste[/quote]

Not many people realize there is a differenct between traditional feminists and new age feminists. The sad reality is the the new age out number the traditional and have subverted a message of equality into the perversion of the concept we see today.

But I quite like the idea of taking the word back - not an easy task, but certainly one I would get behind.

[quote]Makavali wrote:

Celeste[/quote]

Not many people realize there is a differenct between traditional feminists and new age feminists. The sad reality is the the new age out number the traditional and have subverted a message of equality into the perversion of the concept we see today.

But I quite like the idea of taking the word back - not an easy task, but certainly one I would get behind.[/quote]

yay!!!

And I am with you. How the heck does this happen? Truly the women I know are not man haters and actually hate the term Feminist. BUT, … they are successful women and just want to be given equal opportunities.

AND they love men… LOVE MEN!!!

[quote]Makavali wrote:

=)

[/quote]

Celeste
[/quote]

Such is life.

the paradox of language. Can’t even get out of a box that says “no box”

[quote]Grimlorn wrote:
Women put this pressure on themselves. It’s how we evolved and instinctive. I can bet you 10,000 years ago women were fixing themselves up to look better for men and the media wasn’t around then. What the media does is it brings beautiful women to all men and most can’t and don’t want to compete with them. They see them as a threat.

Women want all these things and they can’t realistically have them. They can’t be always attractive, career oriented, and raise a family at the same time. I don’t think most men could do it either. You might get a few women or men that could but the majority couldn’t. It’s not just the media, it’s feminists themselves who put that pressure of being equal in career to men while most women want to also raise a family.

About those statistics of women holding jobs in certain fields, if you polled stay at home dads you’d probably get maybe 1% of men as stay at home dads. So that’s another reason for why men outnumber women in those jobs. Would you complain about a disparity in physical labor jobs?

I guess both could try having a career while a nanny raises their children, but I think that would be hard on the children and women still have to take time off for that.

For those women to get what they want you’d have to remove man’s physical attraction to women and woman’s need to feel attractive. Never going to happen. It’s biological. Men will always want to look at and have sex with beautiful women. Women are always going to want to feel attractive and have men want/chase them. There’s no room for equality because it can’t logically exist.

Now I’m not saying some women can’t work harder than some men, but that depends on the individual. There is also still some discrimination, but if there weren’t it still wouldn’t be equal. Between a man and a woman that are equally qualified, it just makes more sense to hire a man in almost every case.[/quote]

basically my point in better language. thanks.

[quote]Grimlorn wrote:

Now I’m not saying some women can’t work harder than some men, but that depends on the individual. There is also still some discrimination, but if there weren’t it still wouldn’t be equal. Between a man and a woman that are equally qualified, it just makes more sense to hire a man in almost every case.[/quote]

basically my point in better language. thanks.[/quote]

Really because it’s kind of all over the place.

And it gives a good reason for feminism in the last paragraph, especially the last sentence.

lol

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:
Oh, the vast majority of the differences between men’s and women’s brains develop after birth - it’s cultures imprint.[/quote]

Look up sex differences in rat brains.

[quote]Makavali wrote:

=)

[/quote]

Celeste
[/quote]

Such is life.

the paradox of language. Can’t even get out of a box that says “no box”[/quote]

and was it only because a man pointed it out?
try being a woman being in a box you men put us in that doesn’t even fit us.

Sinking of the Titanic, April 15th 1912:
MAN: “Women and children first please.”

25 years ago:
WOMAN: “Women want sex equality”

15 years ago:
WOMAN:“Women to fight sexism”

5 years ago:
WOMAN:“Women winning on sex equality”

Sinking of the Costa Concordia, January 13th 2012:
WOMAN: “It was unbelievable, men were trying to get into the lifeboats before women!”

This appears to be the problem with a lot (not all) of feminists - equality when it suits them, and acting like a delicate flower when it doesn’t.

In my mind, we will have true equality when women want to start working in mines, driving trains, etc to be equal and not just sitting as the MD in corporate boardrooms.

Oh, and since this is my first post: -

[quote]nocturnus wrote:
Sinking of the Titanic, April 15th 1912:
MAN: “Women and children first please.”

25 years ago:
WOMAN: “Women want sex equality”

15 years ago:
WOMAN:“Women to fight sexism”

5 years ago:
WOMAN:“Women winning on sex equality”

Sinking of the Costa Concordia, January 13th 2012:
WOMAN: “It was unbelievable, men were trying to get into the lifeboats before women!”

This appears to be the problem with a lot (not all) of feminists - equality when it suits them, and acting like a delicate flower when it doesn’t.

In my mind, we will have true equality when women want to start working in mines, driving trains, etc to be equal and not just sitting as the MD in corporate boardrooms.

Oh, and since this is my first post: -

[/quote]

“Mr Schettino, who is being held in custody in Grosseto on the mainland and faces up to 15 years in prison, allegedly left the cruise ship in a lifeboat well before hundreds of passengers, including women and children, had managed to escape.”

Schettino is the captain btw.

That’s the guy in your quote. :slight_smile:

I would think that any captain male or female would be in trouble for leaving the ship before the passengers and crew were not safely off.

There are women miners.

All most women want from feminism is the EQUAL opportunity to the jobs.

[quote]Oleena wrote:

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:
Oh, the vast majority of the differences between men’s and women’s brains develop after birth - it’s cultures imprint.[/quote]

Look up sex differences in rat brains.[/quote]

No need, I have read up on the studies on humans. The brain is an adaptive organ, not maturing until mid-20s. It will develop in a way that makes what it is told to do work faster, more effective. If you stress one thing to girls and another thing to boys you will see a difference in how the brains develop.

The term ‘feminism’ cannot equal ‘equal’ because it privileges a gender and a particular perspective in its own utterance.

There have been men who have supported women having an active role in all of life; politics, economics, etc. There have been institutions that have tried to prevent it. This existed before the term feminist was created. My academic friends who are feminists have said that the term ‘feminist’ holds back there goals very much because the term is gendered.

[quote]Makavali wrote:

=)

[/quote]

Celeste
[/quote]

Such is life.

the paradox of language. Can’t even get out of a box that says “no box”[/quote]

and was it only because a man pointed it out?
try being a woman being in a box you men put us in that doesn’t even fit us.
[/quote]

it’s not just men/women boxes though. I think we go through life jumping from boxes to boxes and a lot of them are boxes are not our own. We are either put in them by others or we jump into them by choice, even when this choice isn’t really coming from us. But I don’t really believe in a true. authentic box anyway. The mind thinks a boxes, it’s just the way it was designed. Without boxes it would be buzzing blurry confusion.