T Nation

Female Toning Workout

I have a girlfriend that wants to tone up her body, but isn’t quite sure what to do. I was wondering what would be the best for her. She is 5’5" and 130 lbs.

Right now she she does cardio 4 to 5 times a week for 45 min to an hour with no set weight training program ( just does a few exersizes her and there). She mainly walks/runs and uses the elyptical. She has a fear of bulking her legs up, but wants to really concentrate on her inner thighs, and arms.

She watches her calorie intake, but doesn’t have a set diet either. She eats a lot of chicken breasts (grilled) and lean meats with a variety of veggies and fruits. No fast food. If you could design a full body work routine for her that would be great! Thanks!

Steve

Hey fella,

wow… that is great you want someone to put in time and effort to design a full body work routine for your girlfriend to tone…

Why don’t you check out the Physique Clinic threads on the MWA site. They have their daily schedules listed including set and rep schemes.

That is a lot of free information from some great trainers.

Also… it isn’t toning… it is building muscle. Let’s not call it toning.

Good for your shape and good to build strong bones

You can also check out Trish’s Transformation in the Muscle Sorority and Rondastarr, and another good one is Saan’s log. Very consistent ladies.

Start with the Physique clinic on the MWA site. Little Jo was building muscle. That will give you a lot of good info

This is a joke, right?

It made me laugh anyway.

Dude, check out the MWA section. Scroll to the top of your screen and you’ll see a link. Tons of articles about nutrition and training for women.

It is a little presumptuous of you to ask someone to design a program specifically for your friend.

I suggest getting her the book:
The New Rules of Lifting for Women
Lou Schuler, Cassandra Forsythe, Alwyn Cosgrove
Then encourage her to spend some time at the MWA site.

Book first though otherwise it can be information overload! There are a million different ways to do the same thing and you can learn them all here, but I think she would be better off starting with a set program.

The book includes a 6 month program and covers everything from why a woman should lift weights, nutrition, etc. It’s a general fitness program that has a little bit of everything (break in, muscle building, strength, cardio, and cutting (fat loss)).

Ok, thanks for the info. The reason I sent the post is because I needed a female opinion who is experienced, she doesn’t always trust what I tell her. She thinks I will just bulk her up, lol.

She needs to develop a work ethic, and punish her own ass with heavy weights.

“Toning” fat does nothing.

Toning “Muscle” does.

Toning, hehehe. We all have to work our asses off to get bulky.

[quote]gatesoftanhauser wrote:
She needs to develop a work ethic, and punish her own ass with heavy weights.

“Toning” fat does nothing.

Toning “Muscle” does.[/quote]

There is no way to “tone” a muscle.

Everybody, get the word “toning” out of your vocabulary. Never speak this blasphemy again.

To the OP.

At her height and weight, she doesn’t need to be toning. She just needs a basic workout program. It shouldn’t be hard for her to achieve her goals if she adds correct resistance training in.

Like someone above said, the new rules of lifting is EXACTLY what she needs. And while your at it, pick up a copy of the men’s version for yourself. Hope this helps.

[quote]stevemaynerich wrote:
Ok, thanks for the info. The reason I sent the post is because I needed a female opinion who is experienced, she doesn’t always trust what I tell her. She thinks I will just bulk her up, lol.[/quote]

Until she changes her mindset, her progress will be limited.