Female Strongman Competitors Wanted!

How did training go this weekend?

Well, I didn’t train :stuck_out_tongue:
They did ask if I could at least c&p the axle, LOL!
I basically just went to get observe and to get a feel for what actually goes into the training…A LOT OF HARD WORK! But I’m up for the challenge…I was invited to come back every Sunday if I wanted…
Graham(the chairmen) got rid of a bunch of his lighter stuff, but still has some things I can work with and get feedback on…

There’s some techniques I need work on, such as power cleans…And Im probably going to switch to front squats, as these seem to have more carry over…

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
Well, I didn’t train :stuck_out_tongue:
They did ask if I could at least c&p the axle, LOL!
I basically just went to get observe and to get a feel for what actually goes into the training…A LOT OF HARD WORK! But I’m up for the challenge…I was invited to come back every Sunday if I wanted…
Graham(the chairmen) got rid of a bunch of his lighter stuff, but still has some things I can work with and get feedback on…

There’s some techniques I need work on, such as power cleans…And Im probably going to switch to front squats, as these seem to have more carry over…
[/quote]

BOOOOOOOOOOOO

:wink: :stuck_out_tongue: Just jump in. Seriously. You’ll learn a million times more doing than than observing. You’re so lucky I wasn’t there. I probably would take it easy on a female competitor since I would give her credit just for not being intimidated to come check out a “guy” sport, but the last guy we had who just wanted to come watch i dogged him until he did SOMETHING. This aint no show and you didnt buy tickets. It’s training, pick something up.

Also, don’t worry too much about technique. In fact, dont even think about it as “technique” think about it as "learning to do the event. There are inefficient ways of doing lifts that can be improved, and there are little things that can make a difference, but for the most part, once you are taught the basics of the lift, it’s just a question of figuring out for yourself what the most efficient way for YOU to do the lift is. It’s one thing to let people know that you’re new and you’re open to critiques, etc, but dont be that guy (or gal) who looks over at his training partners after every rep and goes “was that good? am I doing it right?” makes you want to snap at em “DUDE, if you completed the lift, then you did it right!”

What he said ^^

Just get in there!

It’s very true, and thanks for the advice…fact is, it’s not that I didn’t want to train, but I was still pretty sore from training thurs, fri and sat…call it an excuse,just being honest :stuck_out_tongue:

And me, intimidated? HA! :stuck_out_tongue: I was in the Navy after all…I had to do pretty laborous stuff right along with the guys…I remember hauling paintbuckets up several flight of stairs(on an aircraft carrier) And hauling all our tools from one side of the hangar to the other, lol…I was in training and didn’t even know it!
What you said about technique makes sense…
I’m not sure, either way I messed my back up while I was in…

Strongman stuff is so new to me, and nothing can replace training with people who know what the f*ck they are talking about! :stuck_out_tongue: I think I will feel more comfortable doing things on my own after I’ve trained with them a few times…I think that’s what I meant by ‘getting critiqued.’

[quote]Jillybop wrote:
What he said ^^

Just get in there![/quote]

x2

I don’t think I could sit still and just watch. Just get in there and have fun. Don’t be afraid to look stupid. No one cares.

Does anyone happen to know the standard size tire I should be looking for?

I’ve heard anywhere from 300-500lbs, so I figure if I can find both I’m good to go!

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
Does anyone happen to know the standard size tire I should be looking for?

I’ve heard anywhere from 300-500lbs, so I figure if I can find both I’m good to go![/quote]

I don’t know your strength levels, but I would think 300 would be too light. I think closer to 450-500 would be good for someone with some base of strength training. Even if it’s on the heavy side, it’s ok. You only have to be able to flip it once to train with it.

You are right, I think I’ll just aim for a 500lb one…
Is the tire flip event also timed?

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
You are right, I think I’ll just aim for a 500lb one…
Is the tire flip event also timed? [/quote]

Usually, but it can vary. It should say exactly what it is on the entry form.

Do you have access to a tire to try out first? I don’t want you to run out and get a 500 and be pissed at me because you can’t even break the ground with it. Does that training crew you observed have one to try?

Nope he got rid of the ‘lighter one.’ There’s is almost 800lbs!
He wrote to tell me that he has one he lent to someone nearby here, and its’ 282lbs.

LOL, I wouldn’t get mad at you! It wouldn’t be your fault…
The thing about the contest is that originally there was not a woman’s class, so it doesn’t say on the entry form(yet)
I’m just gonna go with the weights used for the lightweight novice class for men’s until I know for sure :wink: And in that case, I would need a 4-500lb tire…

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
Nope he got rid of the ‘lighter one.’ There’s is almost 800lbs!
He wrote to tell me that he has one he lent to someone nearby here, and its’ 282lbs.

LOL, I wouldn’t get mad at you! It wouldn’t be your fault…
The thing about the contest is that originally there was not a woman’s class, so it doesn’t say on the entry form(yet)
I’m just gonna go with the weights used for the lightweight novice class for men’s until I know for sure :wink: And in that case, I would need a 4-500lb tire…[/quote]

If it gives you any guidance, the tire I flipped in the contest last summer was close to 400lbs.

There is a definite technique to it though.

Thanks Julie! I think I’ll search for a 500lb’er…I figure if I train with that, then i should be good to go, or even have an edge…(hopefully, maybe?) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Speaking of…

Saans, and BEG…still thinking of competing???
Anyone else out there? :slight_smile:

Honestly, I would try for the 400lb range. My contest was 350-400 and it wasn’t easy. You want to be able to flip it a few times in a row to work on your technique. I’m not sure killing yourself to flip a 500lb tire one time would be the most helpful for you right now.

True, very true, lol…so far I’m not having any luck even finding a tire…still a few more places to investigate though!

[quote]Jillybop wrote:
Honestly, I would try for the 400lb range. My contest was 350-400 and it wasn’t easy. You want to be able to flip it a few times in a row to work on your technique. I’m not sure killing yourself to flip a 500lb tire one time would be the most helpful for you right now.[/quote]

I think I flipped the 400 5 times before I went face first into the hole and died.

400 is probably a good place to start even though I’m sure she can do better than me just having more physical size behind it. I was able to do it weighing around 120.

Fortunately I’d had some guidance from a few of the guys here on technique so I didn’t try to deadlift it or I wouldn’t have shifted it at all.

I have a few smaller tires I will be using for the contest. If you can flip a 400 LB tire you should be in good shape. I am going to stay with the tire flip medley for the women (smaller tire 50 ft, larger tire 20 ft). Once this deep freeze thaws, I will be able to weigh the tires and let you know.
Greg

Sweet! Thanks Greg…
Any word about the other weights? :wink:

Event weights haven’t been confirmed by Dione but this is what I was thinknig. I will have 2 womens weight classes, under 140 Lbs and over 140 Lbs. Since you will be to ones lifting, Please give me feedback on the weights.
2" Axle Clean once press for reps (LW 100#) (HW 120#)

2" grip Farmers 50 Ft / 1 1/4" grip FW 50 Ft (LW 110/130) (HW 120/150)

Tire Flip 350# 50 Ft / 450# 20 Ft for both weights

Side Handle Frame DL about 16" off of the floor (LW 250#) (HW 300#)

Odd Object Load to a 50" platform LW & HW the same weight 85# kettlebell, 100# field rock, 120# Keg, 150# atlas Stone, 175# Atlas Stone

[quote]gplowman90 wrote:
Event weights haven’t been confirmed by Dione but this is what I was thinknig. I will have 2 womens weight classes, under 140 Lbs and over 140 Lbs. Since you will be to ones lifting, Please give me feedback on the weights.
2" Axle Clean once press for reps (LW 100#) (HW 120#)

2" grip Farmers 50 Ft / 1 1/4" grip FW 50 Ft (LW 110/130) (HW 120/150)

Tire Flip 350# 50 Ft / 450# 20 Ft for both weights

Side Handle Frame DL about 16" off of the floor (LW 250#) (HW 300#)

Odd Object Load to a 50" platform LW & HW the same weight 85# kettlebell, 100# field rock, 120# Keg, 150# atlas Stone, 175# Atlas Stone[/quote]

I’m not competing in this but I’ll give you my impression based on the two I’ve done. Bear in mind I did them at 120lbs body weight.

I think the weights look good but where you may run into trouble is the weight combined with the 2" axle. Women’s hands are a bit smaller. Looking at the lightweight category, they may have a problem cleaning with a 2" axle at 100lbs and doing a farmers carry at 110 with the same.

Maybe get a couple people to try it out. I could be wrong though.