T Nation

Female Metrosexual?

So there's been a lot of talk on these boards about metrosexual men: men who veer from the traditional male stereotype and use skincare products, get pedicures and generally are more in touch with their femine side. My question for you is, what do you call the female form? What about women who veer from the traditional female stereotype and are more in touch with their male side. Sexuality aside, is there a name for those women?

I have never been a feminine female. I do not wear make up. I don't wear jewery. I keep my nails short so that I can use my hands to work on my bike or in the garden. I hate shopping. Fashion is stupid and a waste of time and money. At bike meets I hang with the men while the women go antiqueing (they stopped inviting me a long time ago). I don't like babies (too many free liquids). I like the hardest, nastiest music I can find for training. I don't "try" to be one of the guys. I know I never can be. I'm somewhere in between, and I've always been this way. And no, I'm not a lesbian. It has nothing to do with my sexuality.

Are women like myself looked down upon as metrosexual men are because we do not follow traditional roles?

Comments?

I am similar and have often been called a tomboy. I don't know if that term is common, and I don't know if it applies to grown women or just young girls.

I have never perceived anyone treating/viewing me negatively because of this, although boys never took an interest in me when I was in high school, presumably because I wasn't "girly". That changed when I grew up and men realized that a low-maintenance, useful woman was actually pretty nice to have around. :slightly_smiling:

the term you are looking for is "awesome"

Metrosexual has a negative connotation... You're nothing of the sort. TC wrote an article that might answer your question.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=882789

By the way, your avatar is, wow. You look good. I'm almost stammering and turning red over the internet.

EXACTLY!

Interesting question. I do think some circles look down on it because its outside of traditional roles. But there is also an erosion of traditional roles today. I think there's more than one way to be. I think there may be a presumption that those women are gay though that's obviously not true.

But I also think it's a mistake to sterotype too much on any front and think in an either/or phenomenon. I'm not saying that's what you're doing. But I think a woman can train her ass off, love sports like a guy, and like being active (skiing, hiking, camping, biking, whatever) and still like getting her hair and nails, wear makeup and look banign in a dress,and like the color pink.

LOL!! I am pretty sure that gojira does not agree with TC on that one.
...maybe I am confusing her with someone else.

Anyway, I hate make-up too. I think that it makes most women look like clowns (well, the ones that overdo it anyway) and I can never get fashion right. But no, I don't think that there is an actual term besides tomboy for women like us.

The term you're looking for is Vixen

Duh

La'
Redsol1

Yeah, or future wifey

Yes, you are correct that I do not agree with TC on that article. But let's not beat that horse again.

I think there are probably more women like me than I think there are. We just don't make the news like the Paris Hiltons of this world.

There is such a thing as the female version of the metrosexual but it does not describe you, here is an excerpt:

The term Harajuku is the name of a small city in Japan, located north of Shibuya. Such place has become in time one of the main headquarters of entertainment and commerce in Asia. It is there where people seeking for the latest in fashion, the most expensive restaurants and the best nightclubs go to; in other words, Asia's "creme de la creme" is found here.

So, the Harajuku girls can be considered the female version of the European metrosexual man, a banal sub-culture, mundane and superficial Japanese rich girls.

Other than tomboy, I do not know of any other term. Not much help, sorry.

AA

[quote]gojira wrote:
So there's been a lot of talk on these boards about metrosexual men: men who veer from the traditional male stereotype and use skincare products, get pedicures and generally are more in touch with their femine side. My question for you is, what do you call the female form? What about women who veer from the traditional female stereotype and are more in touch with their male side. Sexuality aside, is there a name for those women?

I think the term you are looking for is Lesbian.

Just kidding. Seriously it's culturally acceptable for a female to be this way, it's not for a male. So that's why we have the metrosexual term.

Tomboy is a good name for it, as others have said, but that term is so generic now. There really isn't a good name for it.

She is someone I absolutely do not aspire to be like!!

Yikes! It is creepy that she gets so much attention for being rich and thin. She doesn't actually do anything.

I think there are two subquestions here:

1) How do a majority of men view such "tomboy" women; and

2) How do a majority of women view such "tomboy" women?

There would be many fewer metrosexual men if there weren't a large difference in perception on metrosexual men between men and women -- in other words, I think that on the average, women see metrosexual men far less negatively than do men.

The readers of T-Mag probably aren't a representative sample, but you get a good representative of the hyper-masculine view of "tomboy" women here: as Redsol said, they're vixens.

And generally, I'd guess that, on the average, most masculine guys would view "tomboy" women more positively than would most women. Just a hunch though.

You seem like a very interesting person. I'd love for you to share a little more about your life.

Attractive.

Yes, there is a name. Its called a high-maintenance chick!

I think of these tomboy traits as a sign of strength and I find strong women sexy. Who wants to deal with a shallow chick that only looks good?

I actually like it when a woman isn't too "girly", or afraid to do something because she might break a nail.

But on the other hand, I have a name for those women who are basically men in a womens body.

They are called VAGITHUGS. LOL!!

Since when did using lotion make you a metrosexual?
Heh....

All I see are double standards, people judging by extremes, and no one looking for the middle ground.

1 - "Tomboys are sexy, metroseuxals are stupid retards" is NOT a statement any intelligent person can make.
2 - Not every metrosexual is gay.
3 - Being a tomboy is not always a sign of an independent, strong-willed woman.
4 - The rest of the famale population doesn't "not do shit because they're afriad they'll like, break a nail."
5 - Judging a man's worth based on antique values is quite an odd thing to do.

I could give a shit about how you act. Personally, I don't find "tomboys" attractive. I don't think being a tomboy means that you are instantly a strong-willed individual, nor do I find women snorting caps then deadlifting 350 lbs sexy. Neither do I think a man is a pussy, or a fag, or a worthless human being if he takes care of how he looks, or if, God forbid, he shows emotion every now and then.

What I find attractive, what I find respectful, and what I find necessary, is a middle ground. A man is not a man if he is a wall. A man is not a man if he doesn't love. And a chick isn't hot if all she cares about are her nails, nor is she hot if all she cares about is taking a shit, drinking a beer, and chopping down a tree. Think Daoist.