T Nation

Female Full Body Routine

Hi,

I am new to this forum and weight training in general. I currently go to the gym a couple of times a week for classes and go running twice a week. I would like to change to more of a weight training routine. My goals are quite modest I guess, which are just to be healthy, toned and stronger so no competitions or anyhting like that. I have got some ideas from this site and would like some advice on my 2 times a week program. I would also continue running twice a week for about 5 kilometres each time.

Workout 1
Goblet Squat 5x10
DB Shoulder Press 5x10
Rear Lunges 3x10
Chin ups 3 to failure
Plank x5

Workout 2
Squat 5x10
DB Bench 5x10
Glute Ham Raise 3x10
Lat Pulldown 3x10
Side Plank x5

Not sure if this is well rounded and covers all the major muscle groups each workout. I thought glute ham raise would be good for lower back, bum and hamstrings but maybe there is something better.

Any advice or feedback would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

doesn’t look too bad. Generally speaking though, you can pick any program on this site; women shouldn’t train differently than men. Also, if you can do chin ups, I would do them twice a week and chuck the lat pulldowns.

Two exercises that seem to be missing are rows and deadlifts. I would try a row variation on the second workout instead of lat pulldowns (dumbbell rows would be a good option). As was said, lat pulldowns and chins are somewhat redundant and it helps to have vertical and horizontal pulling.

Deadlifts could fit in instead of lunges although lunges are not a bad exercise.

Thats for the advice so far. I was thinking maybe doing deadlifts but have to learn proper form as never done them before.

I was at my gym today and noticed that my gym doesn’t have a glute ham raise machine. What would be a good alternative for lower back and hams? I guess deadlifts would be I suppose.

A stiff legged deadlift starting from the top (think of it is as a stiff legged romanian deadlift) and focus on getting a very strong stretch while keeping a neutral back works well as a alternative for a glute ham raise. Romanian deadlifts also are a great alternative. Why exactly aren’t you using other rep ranges than 10? I would also recommend more horizontal pulling in your training.

[quote]DSSG wrote:
A stiff legged deadlift starting from the top (think of it is as a stiff legged romanian deadlift) and focus on getting a very strong stretch while keeping a neutral back works well as a alternative for a glute ham raise. Romanian deadlifts also are a great alternative. Why exactly aren’t you using other rep ranges than 10? I would also recommend more horizontal pulling in your training. [/quote]

I thought a 10 rep range would be good for a few months and then maybe lower. Do you think one day I should do 10 rep range and the other day do lower range or do you think higher?

I find that a 45 degree back raise (also known as a back extension) can be a good exercise for the glutes, hams, and low back.

I think you should do some stiff leg deadlifts. It looks sexy and builds your hams, glutes and lower back.
I would substitute lat pulldown with rows since you are not doing them, and it will help your rear deltoid development, too, a little.
Also I dont think you need to train your lats twice a week (chinups+pulldowns), you get a wider back in the long run, stick with the chins. Unless that’s your preference.

looks good, however I’d switch the pulldown in workout 2 for a row variation. That way you have a vertical push/vertical pull in your first workout, and a horizontal push/horizontal pull in your second. Keeps it balanced.

once you get strong at goblet squats, make the leap to front squats.

10 reps is fine. It doesn’t really matter what rep range you use, just pick one and get stronger.

first Congratulations on realizing how important strength training is.

some changes based on above

Workout 1

DB Shoulder Press work up to 2 heavy sets of 5 reps, then if you still want to do more then lower the weight for 1-2 sets of 5-30 reps

Main lower body exercise work up to 2 heavy sets of 5 reps, then if you still want to do more then lower the weight for 1-3 sets of 5-30 reps

Chin ups 2 to failure
Rear Lunges 2x10
Face pulls 1-2 sets x 10-30 reps
Plank x5

Workout 2
DB Bench work up to 2 heavy sets of 5 reps, then if you still want to do more then lower the weight for 1-3 sets of 5-30 reps

Deadlift variation (romanian deadlift is a good option ) work up to 2 heavy sets of 5 reps

Lat Pulldown 2x10
Face pulls 1-2 sets x 10-30 reps
Side Plank x5
Optional addition if you feel like adding something tricep pushdown 2 x 10-20 (can superset with Lat pulldown)

[quote]Sarahh wrote:
Thats for the advice so far. I was thinking maybe doing deadlifts but have to learn proper form as never done them before.[/quote]

Since you’re German (willkommen im Forum, btw) you might want to take a look at this:

You can do any program out there, makes no difference who it is geared towards! Leaves you with TONS of options to keep things fresh!

A woman’s body is not going turn manly looking if she works a program that is ‘advertised’ as a mans program.

Good luck with your goals and have fun!

I would add in dumbell rows 5x5 on one of the days otherwise what you posted is fine

Thanks everyone for the feedback and advise. @Coyotegal I’m not one of the females that think by lifting weights I will turn into a guy but thanks for the encouragement.

I think I have more than enough info here to make some small adjustments to my program and I am good to go!