Female Athlete Q&A

I’m not sure why the video didn’t work, but I just made a youtube channel. Seemed like the easiest way to upload everything. Just search for “MeganQ Powerlifting.” I appreciate any feedback you may have!

Yesterday and today I saw a new chiropractor/physiotherapist. He is awesome! Knows a lot about powerlifting and has already assigned things for me to do to correct the imbalances in my lower body and did an alignment today. He also told me that I have hypermobility in some joints (definitely knees and hips). I asked if he recommended I hold off on adding weight until we get further along into treatment, and he just said don’t go real heavy. I think I’m fine where I’m at, being able to do at least 5 or 6 reps, so I am planning to continue training unless my body tells me to stop!

[quote]MeganQ wrote:
I’m not sure why the video didn’t work, but I just made a youtube channel. Seemed like the easiest way to upload everything. Just search for “MeganQ Powerlifting.” I appreciate any feedback you may have!

Yesterday and today I saw a new chiropractor/physiotherapist. He is awesome! Knows a lot about powerlifting and has already assigned things for me to do to correct the imbalances in my lower body and did an alignment today. He also told me that I have hypermobility in some joints (definitely knees and hips). I asked if he recommended I hold off on adding weight until we get further along into treatment, and he just said don’t go real heavy. I think I’m fine where I’m at, being able to do at least 5 or 6 reps, so I am planning to continue training unless my body tells me to stop![/quote]

I looked through your videos and you’re doing awesome! Squats are nice and low just remember to keep your upper body tight the whole time then you won’t have the tendency to fall forward or roll onto your toes. Deadlifts are looking good technique wise and same thing as the squats,months forget about your upper body because this is when the technique will begin to unravel. I would concentrate on being more explosive… You want to pull the weight off the floor with everything you’ve got. Same for the bench and the squat, it should be an explosive movement.

Glad to hear you found a good physio and a huge bonus that he is knowledgable in your sport! To me it looks like you’ve got a lot more strength and once you are feeling more comfortable with your technique you’ll be breaking PR’s like it’s going out of style!!

Great, thank you so much Bron! I can’t wait to get to the gym tonight and make some progress!

Today I was really trying to concentrate on form since it was a rep day but I am still too forward. I guess it just takes time and repetition, but I am used to picking things up quickly so it’s frustrating. Videos are up on YouTube if anyone cares to look ( and give me tips) Wednesday was another new PR though on close grip bench. Seriously, a new PR every upper body day. That is motivation!

Heavy Deadlift day yesterday, pulled 383 for 1 :))

[quote]MeganQ wrote:
Today I was really trying to concentrate on form since it was a rep day but I am still too forward. I guess it just takes time and repetition, but I am used to picking things up quickly so it’s frustrating. Videos are up on YouTube if anyone cares to look ( and give me tips) Wednesday was another new PR though on close grip bench. Seriously, a new PR every upper body day. That is motivation! [/quote]

That is great motivation!! For sure, I will go check out your vids.

[quote]Bron Sapir wrote:
Heavy Deadlift day yesterday, pulled 383 for 1 :))

:slight_smile: Your Deadlift looks easy! I’m already curious about the next Deadlift video.

[quote]

:slight_smile: Your Deadlift looks easy! I’m already curious about the next Deadlift video.[/quote]

Thank you :slight_smile:

I did deads last night but I didn’t get any videos! It was a rep day so I did 315lbs for 5/5/8. My next heavy day will be in a week or two… I’m excited already. Now, if only my bench press would pick up some slack!

What do you bench (best question ever)at the moment?

[quote]yesssy wrote:
What do you bench (best question ever)at the moment?[/quote]

Tonight I did 180 for 1 rep… It was a struggle but I did it! My bench is really something I’m working hard to improve, it’s a slow process but I’ll get to my goal of 225 sometime in the near futue :))

Hello, I only just found this! I am 20 weeks pregnant and can’t wait to have my bubba girl and hop back into gym, so I will be following along! thank you for all the useful info!

[quote]Bethaneyjayne wrote:
Hello, I only just found this! I am 20 weeks pregnant and can’t wait to have my bubba girl and hop back into gym, so I will be following along! thank you for all the useful info![/quote]

Half way there!! Thanks for posting, let me know if you have any questions. Is this your first? I’m not a midwife or a doctor but I went through 2 pregnancies and I was unable to find any useful information on “baby/mom” sites to help for athletes but I can help you through my experiences… I know there’s always a million questions that come up everyday in a pregnant woman’s mind!

Take care and good luck in the next 20 weeks. You’ll be back to yourself in no time :slight_smile:

Update about my training:

I had an emergency last week with my dog so she was in the animal hospital for the whole week because of an obstruction but now she’s home recovering! Poor girl!! Because of the situation I took a few extra days off from the gym last week to stay with her and this is why I don’t have any new videos up.

On leg day I managed to squat 270lbs for 2 ( felt very easy!!) I tried 295 and failed at my usual sticking point just out of the hole. Walk out and everything felt great and the strength is there, I will get it next time!

Leg workout for this week:
Back squats
205 x 5
225 x 5
250 x 3
270 x 2
295 fail
225 x 5

Box pause squats (pause for 3 seconds on 12" box)
225 x 4 reps (3 sets)

Elevator Squats
135 x 6 reps (3 sets)

Front Squats
135 x 12 reps (3 sets)

Bulgarian Squats
115 x 12 reps each leg (3 sets)

Glute-Ham raise
3 sets x 15 reps

yes this is my first! I have previously compete in figure and powerlifting but now I am just training to keep some strength, can’t wait to get back into it. My doctor told me not to exercise! I am low risk so I ignored that outdated prescription!

First post ever on here. I was browsing the forums before joining and stumbled upon your post. I absolutely loved it. I have been struggling for the past few months to determine what I want my goals to be with regards to my fitness. Last year I wanted to run a 1/2 Marathon, and I did it :slight_smile:

I started getting seriously into lifting in June 2012 and have wanted to take it to the next level but I have been bouncing back and forth between powerlifting and figure (or physique) competitions. My partner is going to be competing in his first bodybuilding competition in November and it has really inspired me to pursue one of these goals more seriously. Until I read your post. Knowing that there is someone else out there who has been able to do both is amazing. For some reason, I haven’t been able to really find any other women who have done something similar.

Your lifts are absolutely amazing!! The progress you are making is astounding. Congrats!! :slight_smile: Thanks for posting this!

~Melissa

[quote]Bethaneyjayne wrote:
yes this is my first! I have previously compete in figure and powerlifting but now I am just training to keep some strength, can’t wait to get back into it. My doctor told me not to exercise! I am low risk so I ignored that outdated prescription![/quote]

Good choice! Anything you do now will help you later and make you feel better for the rest of the pregnancy.
Relax, enjoy this time and do whatever feels good for your body at this point. You can make your comeback to figure and powerlifting after the baby :slight_smile:

When some of the exercises I usually do became uncomfortable (around 20-25weeks) I changed my workouts to full body workouts and put lots of emphasis on shoulder exercises (my lacking and neglected body part). I actually made improvements in my shoulders during this time from using lighter weights and increasing my frequency and volume.

[quote]MissMeliss86 wrote:
First post ever on here. I was browsing the forums before joining and stumbled upon your post. I absolutely loved it. I have been struggling for the past few months to determine what I want my goals to be with regards to my fitness. Last year I wanted to run a 1/2 Marathon, and I did it :slight_smile:

I started getting seriously into lifting in June 2012 and have wanted to take it to the next level but I have been bouncing back and forth between powerlifting and figure (or physique) competitions. My partner is going to be competing in his first bodybuilding competition in November and it has really inspired me to pursue one of these goals more seriously. Until I read your post. Knowing that there is someone else out there who has been able to do both is amazing. For some reason, I haven’t been able to really find any other women who have done something similar.

Your lifts are absolutely amazing!! The progress you are making is astounding. Congrats!! :slight_smile: Thanks for posting this!

~Melissa[/quote]

Thank you for posting here and congratulations on running the 1/2 marathon!

Initially I was inspired by my husband to compete as well. He competes as a pro bodybuilder and I’ve always helped him and attended his shows with him as a huge fan of the sport. After the babies I REALLY needed a goal so I set the date for the figure show and never looked back. The powerlifting is a new venture and I’m absolutely loving it, I always trained heavy and I’m very competitive by nature so it’s a perfect pathway for me to take in between figure competitions. I’m overwhelmed with the progress I’ve been making and I’m looking forward to my next meet in November and also very curious to see what I will bring to stage next year.

I think it’s a great idea for you to do both. If you are competing in figure or physique then the training will most likely benefit your physique if you incorporate appropriate “bodybuilding” type training into your program. Good luck to your partner in his prep for the November show, I hope it goes well!

Ontario has some great powerlifting and bodybuilding federations/organizations so you’ve got some great options when deciding on a competition. Keep me posted on what you decide and keep training hard :slight_smile:

NEW VIDEO FROM LAST NIGHT: MAKING PROGRESS!!!

90min preworkout:
1 shot GPC

60 min pre-workout:
1.5servings MAG-10
6 capsules Micro-PA

30min preworkout:
6 capsules indigo-3G

Intraworkout:
3 servings Plazma
10g Leucine

Deadlifts:
315 x 3
360 x 1
395 x 1
315 x 5 (3sets)

Rack Deads (above knee)
315 x 3
365 x 3
405 x 3
425 x 3
460 x 3

Deficit Deadlifts (4")
2 sets x 8 reps

Cable pulldowns (wide)
3 sets x 12 reps

Cable rows (wide)
3 sets x 12 reps

BENCH DAY:

Competition Grip Bench:
3 sets @ 135lbs 10/10/8 reps

Reverse Band Bench:
180 x 5 reps
225 x 5 reps
235 x 3 reps (2 sets)

Floor Press:
3 sets x 12reps

Superset: cable tricep pushdowns/overhead extensions
3 sets x 12 reps

Bench dips: 3 sets x 15 reps

Hi Bron Sapir,

It’s My girlfriend. It’s the first time she access to post and upload. She doesn’t speak English so I’m gonna post for her.

HER STATUS

164 cm
114,4 lb
40 years old
2 years of training. She actually is my partner of training from 1 year ago. Last year we hired some John Meadows’s programs, cause I work with him from 3 years a go.

NUTRITION

MEAL 1
2 scoops Mag-10

MEAL 2
1 scoop Whey iso
1/2 tbsp coconut oil
1 piece of fruit like kiwi, blueberries

MEAL 3
4 oz salmon
1 cup of rice
1/2 avocado

MEAL 4
1/2 Finibar

WORKOUT
2-3 scoops Plazma

MEAL 5
4 oz red meatr
1-2 cups basmati rice or pasta gluten free
1/2 avocado

SUPPS

Workout:
60 min before, 8 Micro Pa and 1/2 Finibar
30 min before 6 Indigo
During, 2-3 Plazma

Personal care:
Both she and me worked in some genetic test (23andme) to customize our supplementation:
Complex B minus
Ginger Extract
Mineral Pro Elite
Artichoke Extract
Liposomed Vitamin C
Liposomed Magnesium
DIM/Sulphoraphane
Selegiline

GOALS
Figure physique plus antiaging care. You have a better vision what she should need.

I really like your approach. After search and search, you are for her a truly inspiration and your style of training match perfectly.
As we don’t have any experience with figure training, can you give us a hand how to design a propper plan for working strength and hypertrophy like you? I follow Samir and I like some of his programs, but the we may adjust a bit The Strong Bodybuilder Program, cause we should focus in strength as well.

As far as nutrition and supps, we may increase Mag-10 up to 1.5 and Plazma up to 3, cause she is on them from 1 year ago and we she trains working her ass off.

Thanks for your attention Bron.

1 Like