T Nation

Fell Off the Wagon...Need Help Getting Back


Hi. I fell off the wagon and got fat. I need help getting back into shape. I think I read into too much theory and need to get back to basics. I was where I wanted to be and now I want to get back. I need help finding a program and retuning my diet. Here’s a synopsis.

My Goals
200lbs
Sub 8% bodyfat.
15 pull ups
Bench 225 for 10
Squat 315
Deadlift 405

Currently
220lbs
20%body fat
5 Pull Ups
Bench Press
185 x 5
Squat 205 x 5
Deadlift 225 x 5

Eating (Not including training)
1310 calories 181 protein 39 carbs 83 fats

Periworkout
C4 Extreme Pre
Blox + Gatorade
GNC Recovery Protein (260 cal 2 fat 35 carbs 25 pro)

Typical Workout

FULL BODY 3 Days per Week
Compound Exercise 5x5 (bench,squat deadlift)

Secondary Exercise 3x10
2nd Secondary Exercise 3x10
3rd Secondary Exercise 3x10

(secondary exercises 1 arm row, flys, shrugs, leg curls etc. single joint)

Bike 20 min


more pics


another

Retuning your diet? Listing your macros doesn’t give us much ability to help retune your diet.

What did you eat yesterday?

my diet is typically as follows

breakfast
3 eggs
reduced fat cheese
peppers onions tomatos
1/2 cup oatmeal
blueberries
banana

snack
walnuts and choco protein

lunch
8oz chicken breast
spinach
buffalo sauce (no cal)

Snack
Walnuts and choco protein

Dinner
8oz Steak
Mushrooms and brocolli

cute butt Op

I’m gonna assume this is your new diet? And not the one that lead to the above pics?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
I’m gonna assume this is your new diet? And not the one that lead to the above pics?[/quote]

I hope and would assume.

Lying if not… lol.

your diet is so tiny that it makes me sick in a hungry way

Dude, 1300 calories?! Please, read some of the hundreds of nutrition articles on site and make use of them.

If you’re too lazy or don’t want to do that, try this:

  1. Set calories at 12 calories per pound.
  2. Set protein at 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight.
  3. Set fat at 20% of calories.
  4. Set carbs as the rest of diet.
  5. See what happens in 2 to 4 weeks and make adjustments.

1300 doesn’t even cover your BMR (basal metabolic rate) especially if you’re working out. If you’re not trying to starve yourself to get into a wedding dress by November I would recommend to up your calories or you’ll end up falling off this bandwagon too.

So yeah I suggest you do what Brickhead suggested.

220 X 12 = 2640 calories

20% of those calories is 528.

528 fat calories / 9 calories per gram of fat = 58.6 grams of fat.

Goal Weight is 200lbs so I need 200-220 g of protein roughly 800 cals.

That alone gets me to 1328. No I just need 1312 calories from carbs. That’s alot. Fruits, whole grains and supps? And I assume on workout days I should boost this figure up by 500 cals? It’ll just be supps anyway.

Nope I was following this diet when I packed on 20 pounds of pure fat. Me thinks perhaps from undereating so severely and then trying to binge on the weekends. Regardless it F’d me up pretty good.

Best workout for somebody who wants to lift heavy but still maintain high reps on pull ups dips etc.?

[quote]T-man21 wrote:
220 X 12 = 2640 calories

20% of those calories is 528.

528 fat calories / 9 calories per gram of fat = 58.6 grams of fat.

Goal Weight is 200lbs so I need 200-220 g of protein roughly 800 cals.

That alone gets me to 1328. No I just need 1312 calories from carbs. That’s alot. Fruits, whole grains and supps? And I assume on workout days I should boost this figure up by 500 cals? It’ll just be supps anyway.

Nope I was following this diet when I packed on 20 pounds of pure fat. Me thinks perhaps from undereating so severely and then trying to binge on the weekends. Regardless it F’d me up pretty good.

Best workout for somebody who wants to lift heavy but still maintain high reps on pull ups dips etc.?[/quote]

Did you ever think of reading some of the hundreds of articles on here?

And yeah, carbs should be gotten from fruits, grains, veggies, potatoes, and beans. What is your definition of a lot of carbs? Is it that the number sounds or seems big?

No, don’t start farting around with changing the caloric amount on different days til you can prove that you can stick with this lifestyle consistently for a long time, say about six months to a year (this means going through the daily pain in the ass of buying, cooking, cleaning, and/or carrying around food).

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
And yeah, carbs should be gotten from fruits, grains, veggies, potatoes, and beans. What is your definition of a lot of carbs? Is it that the number sounds or seems big?

No, don’t start farting around with changing the caloric amount on different days til you can prove that you can stick with this lifestyle consistently for a long time, say about six months to a year (this means going through the daily pain in the ass of buying, cooking, cleaning, and/or carrying around food). [/quote]

Most would do well with this advice, focusing on the basics isn’t sexy, but it works, just takes consistency which many (myself at times) lack.

x2 on what Brick said.

1,300 calories is insanely low. My breakfast alone is almost 1,200 cals and I’m losing weight now.

[quote]T-man21 wrote:
Nope I was following this diet when I packed on 20 pounds of pure fat.[/quote]

Total Bullshit

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
And yeah, carbs should be gotten from fruits, grains, veggies, potatoes, and beans. What is your definition of a lot of carbs? Is it that the number sounds or seems big?

No, don’t start farting around with changing the caloric amount on different days til you can prove that you can stick with this lifestyle consistently for a long time, say about six months to a year (this means going through the daily pain in the ass of buying, cooking, cleaning, and/or carrying around food). [/quote]

Most would do well with this advice, focusing on the basics isn’t sexy, but it works, just takes consistency which many (myself at times) lack.[/quote]

Amen!
Results = Sexy

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]T-man21 wrote:
Nope I was following this diet when I packed on 20 pounds of pure fat.[/quote]

Total Bullshit
[/quote]

Notice how in the next breath he mentions binging on the weekends :wink:

that’s why I really question overweight people saying they hardly eat anything, and many in the fitness industry myself included assume they’ve been undereating for so long it’s messed up their metabolism… not so much ehh

For a man at your bodyweight your strength levels are very poor. IMO…this is the most critical thing to address. You are not giving your ‘flesh’ any reason to adapt. I suggest you stop the TBT 3x/week and begin a bodypart split that has you in the gym at least 5 days a week. Arrange it so you never have two consecutive off days. Get your calorie level up! 1,300 cal/day is not going to get it done,…there is a reason this is the most repeated piece of advice you have received.