T Nation

Feet Turned Out?

Hey all,

I took a break from strength training for a while for lifestyle reasons (yeah yeah… go ahead and give me shit for it). I took such a break that in order to make sure I was back to a decent level of fitness before I get back into advanced program (Any of the FTF, Meltdown, OVT, ABBH, etc.) that I spend at least a microcycle or two on simple 5x5 programs just to ensure that my core movements have a good foundation.

I noticed on several lifts (traditional DL, Clean Pulls, K-Bell swing, K-bell snatch, Push Press, Back Squat) that my toes have a consistant tendancy to turn slightly outward… I don’t THINK this is abnormal, but I want to try to nip any muscle imbalances at the bud before it becomes a problem… is this normal and/or good posture for such lifts?

Also, I’ve noticed that when I do my clean pulls, I have a tendancy to move slightly backward when I do my “triple extension”. I think I remember most of the coaches recommending to jump upward… Is this a problem? Does this indicate anything? Am I overreacting?

Thanks All

Kyle

Check out Neanderthal no more part one. They give an excellent article that details what might be the cause of such things.

Based on what you said, I would think you have need to stretch your calves, your lateral leg musculature and your hip flexors.

Also, I’m no expert. I would like to hear EC or MR talk about this one.

Re: your tendency to move backward when you pull.

Make sure your weight is on your heels when you initiate the pull. When you set up, wiggle your toes. You are probably pulling from your toes. Jump up, not back.

[quote]Cowboy92 wrote:
Re: your tendency to move backward when you pull.

Make sure your weight is on your heels when you initiate the pull. When you set up, wiggle your toes. You are probably pulling from your toes. Jump up, not back.[/quote]

Hey Man,

I’m guessing that you’re replying to my power clean jumping back problem… I thought that when you pulled a clean the goal was to jump to the balls of your feet. Am I supposed to pull like a DL (but w/ shoulders in front of the bar)and then jump up on the toes w/ the “triple extension”?

Kyle

Start with your weight on your heels then come up onto your toes as the lift progresses.

There are many times that it’s ok to turn the feet outwards. If you squat olympic style, right down to the floor it’s ok. If you are doing cleans, jerks, or snatches it’s also common to turn out at the toes.
With regard to moving back when you do cleans. There are many elite level (even world record holder) lifters who jump back. Mutlu, Suleymanaglu (sp), Vanev, Chekarov, to name a few. These are all lifters who are better lifters than anyone on these boards, or contributors to this mag.
I’m so tired of people writting articles about muscle imbalances (which are actually very difficult to measure accurately anyway), and how if you don’t fall within a vary narrow conformation of body possitions you are doomed to injury. There are so many body types and conformations of joints out there it’s amazing.
when I squat (olympic style), my right foot is always farther forward than my left by about an inch. This is due to an ankle break some 12 years ago. I’ve squatted over 500lbs to the floor. I’ve also cleaned 180kg(396lbs)with a slight backwards hop of the feet and with my feet turned out. I know that that an anecdote but it does show an example.
If you’re working with an Olympic Weightlifting coach (and you should) and your technique is working for you, then don’t worry about it.
Hope this puts you at ease.