Feet Placement for Bench Pressing?

hi everyone i’m a tall guy 6"6 with long arms ,torso and legs , i leg drive with my feet under the bench but not completely flat this in order to arch more , if my feet stay flat i’m obliged to spread them wide and i can’t arch plus i feel that the transfer stops in the hips

someone adviced me to try to push with the feet 100% in contact with the ground (even if my hips don’t raise with the half feet version)

do you guys have any advice conserning the best feet placement for tall individuals???

thank you in adavance
amn.

Unfortunately since we aren’t all built alike, you will just have to experiment with different placements until you find the one that “fits” you.

If you use feet under bench so your heels aren’t touching, simply try to make them touch during the press up and that will help transfer leg drive. If you use feet out in front flat on floor, just push back. You should feel as if you are pushing your head off the end of the bench. The motion there is lateral and shouldn’t cause your butt to raise if that is a concern.

make sure you’re stretching and foam rolling your hip flexors and t-spine, the mobility will really help you arch.

ok blake b by saying "try to try to make them tuch " you mean the intention or really make them tuch ,??? basically this is how i bench : Elitefts.com - Molly Edwards Dynamic Bench Press with chains - YouTube

what do you guys think about busing a belt fot the bench press for a raw lifter , does it make a difference?

Some PL feds, at least here in Finland, require you to keep soles fully on the floor for bench. If you plan to compete, check this before lifting in a competition.

amn,

As for using a belt when lifting raw, no I do not think it will help.

Shirted benchers use a belt to hold the shirt in place. It is referred to as “jacking” the shirt. The collar in a bench shirt is stronger and thicker than the chest plate (usually), so the shirt is pulled down so that the collar can be utilized. If the shirt is not held in place with the belt, typically it will ride up into the neck, choking the lifter and now the lifter can’t get as much out of the shirt. Sometimes you will see a very thin belt being used for this. The lifter is using it solely to keep the shirt down.

But with that being said, if you can still keep a good arch and big belly with a belt on, and you feel it helps, then I don’t see any reason to not use it, so long as if you compete and it is allowed by your fed for raw benchers. I have used a belt when benching raw, just out of curiosity (I had seen equipped lifters using them, and didn’t know why) and didn’t feel that it helped at all. If anything, I thought that it hurt my arch.

dberg8907 thank you, the reason why i asked is that i saw many raw lifters use it , so i tought maybe it would help .

It can’t hurt to try. Like I said, it didn’t help ME. It may make a difference for you.

That’s the beauty of lifting. There is really no wrong way to do it, so long as you make progress and it is within the rules.

[quote]dberg8907 wrote:
amn,

As for using a belt when lifting raw, no I do not think it will help.

Shirted benchers use a belt to hold the shirt in place. It is referred to as “jacking” the shirt. The collar in a bench shirt is stronger and thicker than the chest plate (usually), so the shirt is pulled down so that the collar can be utilized. If the shirt is not held in place with the belt, typically it will ride up into the neck, choking the lifter and now the lifter can’t get as much out of the shirt. Sometimes you will see a very thin belt being used for this. The lifter is using it solely to keep the shirt down.

But with that being said, if you can still keep a good arch and big belly with a belt on, and you feel it helps, then I don’t see any reason to not use it, so long as if you compete and it is allowed by your fed for raw benchers. I have used a belt when benching raw, just out of curiosity (I had seen equipped lifters using them, and didn’t know why) and didn’t feel that it helped at all. If anything, I thought that it hurt my arch. [/quote]

I disagree. I bench raw and I like to use a belt to push my stomach against as I take in a belly fully of air before lifting. It not only helps you keep your core tight but allows you to use it as a “cue” to start the lift.

Try to make your heels touch as in really try. You won’t be able to if you are up on your toes like she is in the video. The intention is there but you won’t be able to. So, in essence, do both - have the intention and try. This will transfer your leg drive to the pressing of the bar.

If you notice the first press in the video how her heels move backwards, that’s leg drive.

well , with half the foot in contact i can leg drive , i can push and have a good arch i was wondering if i could keep my good arch while having the foot flat, i guess i’ll stick with this foot placment and experience more .

having a very week bench press specially compared to my other lifts , i’m constantly seraching to get technicly better , i noticed that most lifter “follow” the bar the entire time even down when it’s in the high abs so dumb like i 'm i decided to do it yesterday, at the begining it went ok(good leg drive and tightness) but when the weigh got heavier in the last set i had to set a new PR,

benching 12 times it completelly fucked up my lift i benched 6 easy , in the 7th i lost the upper back and tarp tightness which made me lose the arch , so i had to reset 2 times , i banged 11(did not reach the 12) the second half being only with the triceps with no leg drive at all! damitt i was pissed , i could have done more than 12 !!!

what do you guys think about the head lifted when bringing the bar down??

Lifting my head is new to me as well but it feels better. I feel like I can maintain upper back tightness better and am trying to incorporate it. Once again, if you plan on competing check your fed’s rules because some don’t allow it.

ok man, i think instead of just following the bar well by tucking my chin , over lifter the head which made me lose the trap tightness!! fuck!! i can’t wait for the next bench press training session!

try this, it helped me.

thank you i already read it, tate says follow the bar wioth your eyes that’s why i did what i did and lifted my fucking head and couldn’t get the 12th rep

Figure out what fed you want to compete in, because some of them you need you keep your heels on the ground and your head on the bench (IPF).

Yep. USAPL requires feet flat on the floor, head flat on the bench, and 50% of the buttocks on the bench.

i’m not competing

I would try to get in touch with Tone Barbaccio as he is 6’8" and benched 800 a couple of years back. If anyone would know all the foot placement and bar and elbows etc. for a tall lifter…he would be the one guy I would goto for advice. I have met him on a couple of occasions and he is very likeable and personalbe not to mention he knows what he is talking about…