T Nation

Feet Hurt When Working Calves

if this is a beginner thing I analogize, whenever I work out calves the bottom of my feet cramp up I don’t know if this is normal or not, I usually just push through the cramp.

Sounds like plantar fasciitis to me…I had it when I was a distance runner. Ice the bottom of your foot and simply roll a tennis ball under your foot for some PT. Make sure to stretch your lower calves and feet pre-workout.

What exercises are you doing for calves? Are you working your bigger leg muscles first?

I’ve gotten crazy cramps in the bottom of my foot after leg day. Usually as soon as i get in my car.

[quote]Spencerulz wrote:
if this is a beginner thing I analogize, whenever I work out calves the bottom of my feet cramp up I don’t know if this is normal or not, I usually just push through the cramp. [/quote]

mine have always been like that too, especially on seated calves. I’ve had it for 8 years

I’ve had this many times. Try not such an extreme stretch for a while, you can still get a good contraction though. Also, get a tennis ball, and use it to massage the arch of your foot each morning, and before and after your calf sessions. If it makes you feel better, it’s not such a big deal, and in a couple of weeks you’ll forget you even had it :slight_smile:

S

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

The Soleus extends to the arch of the foot, I believe. I’d worry about it if the pain lasts more than a minute after you’re done doing the exercise.

you’re doing raises with your toes on a block, right?

[quote]Artem wrote:
The Soleus extends to the arch of the foot, I believe. I’d worry about it if the pain lasts more than a minute after you’re done doing the exercise.

you’re doing raises with your toes on a block, right?[/quote]

well my calves lag so I do it with them on a block, on the leg press, and the lunge raises featured in the "exercises you’ve never heard of article.

[quote]Spencerulz wrote:
Artem wrote:
The Soleus extends to the arch of the foot, I believe. I’d worry about it if the pain lasts more than a minute after you’re done doing the exercise.

you’re doing raises with your toes on a block, right?

well my calves lag so I do it with them on a block, on the leg press, and the lunge raises featured in the "exercises you’ve never heard of article. [/quote]
Yeah, just make sure you do them with your toes on a block and not from a flat surface or it could cause problems.