T Nation

Feels Like Reverse Progress Some Days

OK, so start flaming me for complaining and being bitchy.

Some days I go to the gym, like yesterday, I feel like I am regressing rather than making progress. I’ll feel like I should be able to bench more than I do. I end up using a lighter weight than I want to and it feels very heavy. I get fewer reps than I think I should too.

I train 5 days a week with am off day in the middle and another at the end. Usually it goes
Chest/tri’s
Legs
Shoulders
Back/Bi’s
Deadlift and a little chest or legs(rotates every other week)

I haven’t been overly sore. I am thinking maybe of switching to a Mon/Weds/Fri split that would be Chest & Tri’s/Legs/Back & Bi’s and just leave direct shoulder work out.

How long have you been training? We all go through peaks and valleys. Many days I go to train and shit just feels heavy and everything sucks ass. Over time, you realise, those days just happen. Kind of like the days when you aren’t feeling the best and end up throwing out PRs.

I can’t comment on training because mine is lift focused rather than body part focused but mine started improving when I started doing less.

Been at it about 2 and half years pretty steadily.

Sounds like it could be a recovery issue to me. How long are your workouts?, How many sets?, are you eating enough calories?. Could be so many reasons. A reduction in volume or training days might be the answer. Your bench might be suffering because you’re working your shoulders so often (3x a week some weeks). A little more detail and I’m sure people on here will be able to help. Most people experience this from time to time. Good luck.

switch to 5/3/1. all your problems will be solved, and your penis will be bigger.

the alternative is to be killed and eaten

[quote]mjnewland wrote:
switch to 5/3/1. all your problems will be solved, and your penis will be bigger.

the alternative is to be killed and eaten[/quote]

Nice. Seriously, though I here’s a sample chest day for me.
Bench from pins to warm up 3 sets of 3
Flat BB Bench Press 4 set of 8
Incline or Decline Press 4 set of 8
Floor Flye 2 to 3 sets

Overhead Dumbell extensions 4 set of 8
Skull crushers 4 set of 8
Tricep pressdowns 2 sets of 10

That’s how my workouts go. I shoot for about 3 exercises for each muscle group.

Personally I would switch up your routine. Like outsboro, my training is lift focused, not body part focused. Maybe you would be better of trying a pre-made routine. Theres lots on here in the article section.

[quote]Extremepain wrote:

Floor Flye 2 to 3 sets

That’s how my workouts go. I shoot for about 3 exercises for each muscle group.[/quote]

Looks a bit like a bodybuilding routine. Is that what you are training for?

It’s all about goals. Training should revolve around goals. Those of us who compete tend to structure our workouts around the big three.

There always seem to be three factors involved in stalling out

1. Not enough rest
  2. Not enough food
  3. Too much work (which is often dependent on 1) or 2))

After 2-1/2 years you no longer get to have novice or beginner gains, certainly and you have to start paying attention to the interplay of the above three factors.

I’m willing to bet that if you reduce the number of exercises to 2 per body part, dropedp the reps while raising intensity, or ate more or took an extra rest day, things would start moving upward again.

[quote]DaCharmingAlbino wrote:
There always seem to be three factors involved in stalling out

1. Not enough rest
  2. Not enough food
  3. Too much work (which is often dependent on 1) or 2))

After 2-1/2 years you no longer get to have novice or beginner gains, certainly and you have to start paying attention to the interplay of the above three factors.

I’m willing to bet that if you reduce the number of exercises to 2 per body part, dropedp the reps while raising intensity, or ate more or took an extra rest day, things would start moving upward again.[/quote]

x2

I’m going to go a bit further than DCA and say that three body part lifts are absolutely too many considering you also DL etc on another day. So that in essense you are hitting back and legs a second day which might be fine if you aren’t going heavy on those days but really it doesn’t seem all that well a designed routine unless its very goal specific.

Not to mention that your chest work hits your tri’s before you then do three lifts for your tri’s. I am a tri dominant bencher but mine would fall off if I tried that.

So, what ARE your goals. What are you trying to accomplish in the weight room?

you said:
Floor Flye 2 to 3 sets

That’s how my workouts go. I shoot for about 3 exercises for each muscle group.

actually, that’s 6 exercises for triceps. If I wuz to recommendize, i would say

1. don’t do partial reps as a warm up. warm up with flatBB Bench with lighter reps concentrating on form, or use flies to warm up.
  2. bench from pins (lots heavier than your bench, with a close grip) as a triceps excercise.
  3. you might only want to use incline or decline on days where you dont do flat, unless you are really trying to hit your chest. also, I don’t like decline cuz it hurts my shoulders, so I wouldn’t use it at all.
  4. on days you want to maximize triceps, do flat, then either incline or pin presses WITH NARROW GRIP, then skull crushers then pressdowns, finish off with flies.
  5. on days you want to maximize pecs, do flies first but 4 sets, then flat bench, then incline bench (both bench with normal grip instead of close), then skull crushers and finish with overhead db extensions or pressdowns.
  6. on sets and reps, play around with it. pick a workout to do 8 sets of 4 with a bigger load instead of 4 sets of 8. this type of change alone could help you past your plateau.

my recommendifications would be different if you said your goal was brute strength.

Keep us posted so we know what you try, and how you do
good luck
old lardass

edit: ps, love the He-Man avatar!