T Nation

Feeling Tired... Should I Use Activation?

Lately I have been feeling like my body only really turns on about 20 minutes into my workout, usually this is just shortly after i finish my big exercise for the day; I am on 5/3/1. My current warmup is 3-4 sets of 5-6 with just the bar, a little mobility work (entire warmup <5minutes) and then straight into my first set of 5/3/1. Would it be wise to include this as my new warmup protocol?

THE WARMUP
5 minutes light cardio (break a light sweat)
some dynamic stretching dependant on which day it is
mobility work for which lifts i'm doing
some activation work (more on this later)
4-5 sets with just the bar for 5 reps or so

my whole warmup would be <15 minutes

ACTIVATION
for deadlift day i was thinking jump squats or box jumps for 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps
for military press day i was thinking med-ball slams for 3-4 sets of 6-10 and inverted row for 3-4 sets of 6-10 (all explosive)
for squat day i was thinking jump lunges or box jumps for 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps
for bench day i was thinking med-ball slams for 3-4 sets of 6-10 and clap pushups for 2-3 sets of 4-10

what do you guys think? any advice is greatly appreciated. also, any mobility work ideas would be appreciated for the military press and bench, i follow a routine for the squat and deadlift that i like already... thanks! - josh

Holy shit. You do so much work before the actual workout. If you really can't feel "woke up" until about 20 minutes into your exercise, maybe it's time for a pre workout energy drink of some kind.

that is the proposed warmup i would maybe do... what i mean is i am finding i don't really feel "woke up" until after my heavy 5/3/1 sets, i "wake up" for the assistance when i would much prefer to wake up for the 5/3/1 sets... im going to try out this new warmup protocol and see if it goes better. and i'm going to eat more carbs before working out. i have been losing weight for summer so carbs have been pretty low.

i agree with flip. that seems like too much work. im on the 5/3/1 too and personally i just do some dynamic stretching and warm up with lighter weights.

Sounds like you may be overtrained. Try adding in more rest days. Also if you have a lot of stress in your life it can also cause overtraining.

Kevin

Are you making good progress? Does it really matter if you "feel tired" if you're adding weight to the bar every month? I'm gonna say, "No."

However, with that in mind, how are you warming up for your main 5/3/1 lifts? I would do easy sets all the way up to the first work set.

MP might be something like ...
65x8
85x6
105x4
135x5 (first work set at ~65% of training max)

Squat might look more like ...
95x10
135x8
185x3
225x3
275x2
315x5 (first work set at ~65% of training max)

Warming up this way lets you be quite ready for the lift at hand.

I think what you proposed with messing around with squat jumps & medicine ball throws is a bit ... meh. I've never heard of or seen any strong guy bother with that shit.

How did you come to that conclusion? Ridiculous.