Feeling Tired From Protein?

i’ve been working out 3-4 times a week for the past 3 months and am drinking about 2 protein shakes per day. i noticed that i feel much more tired ever since i started drinking the protein shakes. is that possible? is that maybe a rare side effect? i eat healthy and clean foods, drink lots of water and exercise. so i figure it must have to do with the protein shakes.

[quote]Philly wrote:
i’ve been working out 3-4 times a week for the past 3 months and am drinking about 2 protein shakes per day. i noticed that i feel much more tired ever since i started drinking the protein shakes. is that possible? is that maybe a rare side effect? i eat healthy and clean foods, drink lots of water and exercise. so i figure it must have to do with the protein shakes. [/quote]

no.

Maybe you’re not getting enough carbs.

I changed my diet and went low carb for a little bit. I was getting good sleep and eating good. I just took a new job and the senior guy was showing me what he was working on. I could barely keep my eyes open and my head was bouncing up and down as I kept half nodding off. I did that for about a week before I added some carbs with breakfast. Now, if I get tired I’ll do some walking mobility drills around my office and eat an orange or some fruit.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that your body is building your muscles now through protein synthesis hard then it ever has before, because your now finally getting enough protein. This in turn, may be wearing your nervous system out because your body is working over time to repair muscle fibers, at a more complete rate. However I could be wrong.

Whatever it is, there’s no way that protein will make you tired.

[quote]Philly wrote:
i’ve been working out 3-4 times a week for the past 3 months and am drinking about 2 protein shakes per day. i noticed that i feel much more tired ever since i started drinking the protein shakes. is that possible? is that maybe a rare side effect? i eat healthy and clean foods, drink lots of water and exercise. so i figure it must have to do with the protein shakes. [/quote]

I’m far from an expert on the breadth of topics we’re covering here, but I don’t see any conceivable way that protein shakes could be making you more tired.

Make sure you are getting enough carbs in your diet and that you are sleeping enough also. If you replaced solid food snacks with the shakes, you may have cut too many carbs or other nutrients out of your diet and that is what is making you tired.

maybe it’s because you get no sleep? i usually feel tired when i don’t sleep…

If your post is accurate then you also started training at the same time you started drinking protein.

Crazy idea, but perhaps it is the weight training and not the protein.

-Cloth

Eat some fruit at work. Drink some tea.

You are low on carbs.

High protein does not make one tired.

I have found that I need a lot more carbs early in the day than I thought. If I eat enough then I am fine during the day, if not, then I am sluggish and tired. I was getting protein instead of carbs rather than in addition to. Although I generally prefer to be low in the carbs department, I have benefited from eating more carbs in the morning and then cut back in the afternoon and evening.

Take away, eat more carbs with your breakfast and post-workout.