Feeling Old in Mid-Twenties

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]Petermus wrote:
I’m 20 and I feel pretty blah. School and work are wearing me out. I have good grades, planning to transfer from a cc to university. I work 25-30 hours a week as a Dishwasher. The problem is Im stuck as a dishwasher. We are so understaffed that if I stopped working then they wouldn’t have a replacement for the days I work…finding replacements has been nearly impossible lately. I think it would be best if I just left but I would be screwing over a lot of friends who work there. Atleast I’m semi appreciated.

So the point of that bitching was that I go to school then kill myself at work. Then I go home at midnight, up for six,school,work,sleep,school,sleep,school,work.

The only hobby I have energy left for is the internet. [/quote]

This thread isn’t for you. You’re still in school and haven’t reached that age where your buddies are getting married and having kids.

That being said, you sound pathetic. Go get fucked up and get laid.[/quote]

Hey.

We should all be so lucky that our major life crises could be solved by quitting a shitty job no one cares about in the first place.

I’m 26 and still feel like a kid… hmm, I dunno man.

One thing is, I love to work on projects. My buddy and I both have wood shops; we’re always building stuff or doing projects at each others house. I also enjoy doing work outside of work, so I always plant a garden every year, always reparing stuff, adding on to the house, or learning how to do something new. Here in a another year I want to learn how to weld…

So, maybe you should look at finding something you enjoy doing or learn how to do something new :confused: You might be surprised man.

OP what do you do? You could always go join the peace corp for a couple of years.

And I am your age in was in the same boat up until a couple of months ago when I bought a house, had my girlfriend move in, and got a cat. Also even though I don’t live in the same town as my family I’ve grown a lot closer to them in the last couple of years with most of my friends getting married and having kids (both things I don’t plan on doing).

great advice from fighting irish. just do shit. dont think too much. dont spend too much time reading about it or fucking about on internet forums. dont procrastinate. god knows we all waste enough of out lives doing that. you dont like your life - change it. you REALLY learn and grow from experience. from living. from doing shit. not from a book or the tv.

at your age, travel like you said you wanna do. sounds good. if you have no money, but have a degree, you can pretty much find jobs all over the world teaching english to supplement your travel, or to travel AND save money at the same time. asia is a huge market.

I’m 25 and ready for my first stroke. I’m a student and would like to be (a student of everything) for the rest of my life instead of getting stuck up in some dull job devouring most of my waking day to appease society’s standards. But I guess I’ll try to compromise.

My body’s been pretty much the same for the last three years or so, due to break-ups in regular social interaction. No socialization, no incentive to train, as during summers.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
I’m twice as old as the OP and I don’t even remotely feel old.

Recently hit a 565 deadlift and a 405 Zercher squat.

Taking up rock climbing now. Plan on skydiving for the first time next spring.

Life is full of potential for me. And it damn sure should be for a 25 year old.[/quote]

^ This is why I am working my ass off at 37 Push. I did the slow grind into the rut of life and the gut of beer. Now two years later I am 100 pounds behind you on dead. When I get your age I damn well be doing the same things.

To OP this is your birthing process, welcome to adulthood. Make this thread the smack in the ass to get you screaming and learn to be happy with life.

I honestly don’t understand what people expect out of life. There is no purpose except for the one you make for yourself. There is so much shit to do and learn and experience in this world that I don’t see how anyone can ever be bored or feel old. But I think my perspective is different because I have some particularly good role models to follow, particularly my dad’s dad.

My grandfather is 84 years old and is currently in year 19 of his second career. He golfs 3 days a week in the summer and is an active member of his church. He fought in WWII, has 6 kids, 10 grandkids, 4 great grandkids (soon to be 5 when my youngest is born in a few weeks), and 1 wife for the last 60 years. He was the service manager at a car dealership for 45 years after the war. He’s survived the Japanese, cancer, 2 heart attacks, and open heart surgery. He gave a speech at his 80th birthday party about his plans for the future, pushing his retirement plans back til he hit 100. He plans to retire from his current career in the next year and move on to his third. My guess is that if/when he hits 100 he won’t be ready to slow down then either.

I think that is the key. Always have plans. Always have something to work towards. Always have a mountain to climb. Give yourself a purpose. You’ll never feel old that way.

I feel old also

Being 21 is awful

Holy crap to whoever suggested peace corps, that is seriously awesome. Not sure why I haven’t looked into it before as I love traveling and other cultures. I have a degree in health to boot. Going to research it more thoroughly.