T Nation

Feeling Like Crap When I Lift

I started Starting Strength 2 months ago. Before that, I’d been lifting for a year, but only doing chin ups, bench presses and shoulder presses (2x/week). Anyways I have the following symptoms:
severe fatigue
simultaneously feeling cold and hot (shivering with sweating) - this happens once a day
excessive soreness (especially upper body)
back tension (I don’t feel anything wrong during squats and I make sure to contract my core with vulsava maneuver)

When I go to the gym or even play light tennis, severe fatigue sets in and I feel lightheaded.

My only symptom of sickness is a stuffy nose but my mucus is clear/white

My upper body lifts have stalled (since I’ve been doing them for longer) however my lower body lifts are progressing smoothly

What’s wrong with me? Am I really sick? cuz I dont’ feel sick

How long has this been happening? If it’s only for a week i wouldnt worry too much, but longer and you might want to see medical professional.

Are you eating sometime before your work out? Getting enough sleep?

Is your work capacity any good? (i.e. are you really really unfit?)

[quote]milimber wrote:
How long has this been happening?

Are you eating sometime before your work out? Getting enough sleep?[/quote]

X2
What’s your diet like prior to your workout?

Dude, you’re sick. Shivering and sweating at the same time, plus severe fatigue isn’t supposed to happen when you lift. Something about the soreness suggests that your body’s already in full-on-inflammation mode, which also suggests sickness.

Get two days of absofuckingrediculous volumes of sleep. Like, ten hours, each day. See if that improves your condition.

[quote]Otep wrote:
Dude, you’re sick. Shivering and sweating at the same time, plus severe fatigue isn’t supposed to happen when you lift. Something about the soreness suggests that your body’s already in full-on-inflammation mode, which also suggests sickness.

Get two days of absofuckingrediculous volumes of sleep. Like, ten hours, each day. See if that improves your condition.[/quote]

x2. And plenty of fluids.

Internet doctor Bonez says you have acute super mono.

Now go to a real doctor if this doesn’t stop very soon.

This has been going on for about a week. I always eat 1-2 hours before I workout, typically a tuna/chicken sandwich or a salad. I average 9 hours of sleep a day (10-7). I’ve been sleeping 10 plus hours for the past few days, but I still feel weird. One thing tho is I’m definitely not getting enough fluids. The thing is, feeling like crap only happens intermittently, when I’m not exercising. As soon as I do anything remotely active, I start feeling like shit.

Anyways, I’m gonna try and rest up. Due to crazy ass midterms my sleep schedule went from (3-5 a.m. to 12-2 p.m.) to the more normal and controlled one I’ve been doing for the past two weeks.

Seriously man this is your health. Don’t fuck around a message board. Go and see a doctor. From those symptons it could be anything from mild flu to something really serious. Only tests will tell.

I’d recommend eating more and sleeping more maybe even lay off the lifting (or go extremely low volume) for like a week.

[quote]
simultaneously feeling cold and hot [/quote]

“Simultaneously feeling cold and hot.”

so on the average you feel fine?