Feeling Like Crap After First Meet

Did my first meet 24 hours ago. It went good, really good actually, but today I felt like crap all day. Like I am really sick, painful everywhere, but no fever. My bp is through the roof too, 142/92, I usually have 110/60. Any suggestions to recover faster? Thank you all.

I felt like I got hit by a train too after my first meet. I just tried to eat a shit tonne of food

Deload this week and eat big. Make sure to drink plenty of fluids too. Light work to get blood flowing will help.

welcome to the club. hydrate, eat and sleep.

epsom salt bath

contrast showers

gentle stretching

brisk walking

lots and lots of food

don’t get even close to dehydrated. if in doubt, remember the 3 C’s of urination: consistent, clear, and copious

gentle foam rolling

do some exercises just to get blood flowing. no where close to failure, basically only as much as you need for a pump with high reps.

extra magnesium before you go to sleep so you sleep deeper and heal faster

I feel like I’ve gotten run over by a truck after every single meet I’ve done. It doesn’t matter if my numbers are lower than gym numbers. When you compete, you are artificially creating an adrenaline surge, a fight or flight condition. That is what I find very difficult to recover from.

[quote]hawkcapt1912 wrote:
welcome to the club. hydrate, eat and sleep.[/quote]

Amen

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
I feel like I’ve gotten run over by a truck after every single meet I’ve done. It doesn’t matter if my numbers are lower than gym numbers. When you compete, you are artificially creating an adrenaline surge, a fight or flight condition. That is what I find very difficult to recover from.[/quote]

This. I haven’t competed in powerlifing yet, but i am hoping to next year. But i remember this effect of adrenaline from when i wrestled. Even if i won a match in under 30 seconds, i still usually woke up the next day feeling like I got my ass kicked haha

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
When you compete, you are artificially creating an adrenaline surge, a fight or flight condition. That is what I find very difficult to recover from.[/quote]

Absolutely. I pulled 42 pounds more in my last meet than I did in any training session, but it took my back almost 3 weeks to recover from that.

OP, this is the time of year you get to train light and not feel bad about it. I like to start light and with moderate volume, then slowly build volume back in. I won’t be going really heavy during this 8-week training cycle at all.

Like everybody else said, I wouldn’t worry about it. I’d take a week off.

I was the same way after my first meet. Though it was probably the fact that I got three hours of sleep the night before. I could not stop eating the entire day during the meet. No matter how much I ate, my stomach never felt full. Just get some good nutrition and some sleep man.

So since this forum is made. What is so taxing about a meet. I have yet to do one hopeing for 2 next year but not sure. Anyway, are meets really taxing on your nervous system or what. Seems to me like you warm up to your opener then you lift three times while staying warm inbetween each lift. I know for a fact it is alot more then that but if someone could explain would be totally awesome. I feel so out of the loop and like such a noobie.

[quote]Umbrata Fortis wrote:
So since this forum is made. What is so taxing about a meet. I have yet to do one hopeing for 2 next year but not sure. Anyway, are meets really taxing on your nervous system or what. Seems to me like you warm up to your opener then you lift three times while staying warm inbetween each lift. I know for a fact it is alot more then that but if someone could explain would be totally awesome. I feel so out of the loop and like such a noobie.[/quote]

Yes your nervous system gets destroyed. I mean come on, you could be going for 3 1RM’s on the same day, why wouldn’t your nevous system be fried after that? Also got to take into account the stims/preworkouts you take and the adrenaline from the atmosphere of the meet.

[quote]Umbrata Fortis wrote:
So since this forum is made. What is so taxing about a meet. I have yet to do one hopeing for 2 next year but not sure. Anyway, are meets really taxing on your nervous system or what. Seems to me like you warm up to your opener then you lift three times while staying warm inbetween each lift. I know for a fact it is alot more then that but if someone could explain would be totally awesome. I feel so out of the loop and like such a noobie.[/quote]

The state you are in for a meet attempt should not be the same as in the gym. When I compete, I psyche myself up a significant degree before third attempts and put myself in an excited state that is very emotionally taxing. Doing this multiple times in one day is going to be very draining.

Yea I had my first meet Sat. and I feel pretty beat up. Just recovering, had a sports massage, getting good sleep and eating well has helped. Been stretch and foam rolling as well. My shoulders just hurt like a mofo though.

It has been 2 weeks since my meet and I feel fine. HOWEVER, I have a serious issue now. Even the day of the meet, my BP have been a steady 110/60 on average. Now, I have 145/95, which is a fuckload. Has anyone any idea why this is happening, or should I go see a cardiologist? I have not changed anything in nutrition or my other habits.