T Nation

Feeling Lazy on Stronglifts?

I had to start doing a shorter workout week due to working away recently and adopted a programme I found called stronglifts. It basically has you squatting three times a week with bench, rows and pullups twice a week and over head press, chinups and deadlifts on the wednesday.

I am really suprised at the strength gains I have made in just 3 weeks. I love the squatting and find it extremely satisfying but I feel lazy and bored with only doing 5sets of bench and a couple of chins and rows.

The site says not to try and get a pump and that getting stronger is the key to getting bigger but if anything I am looking worse physically than when I started. I might be getting stronger but the repetition range is much lower so It is probably that more than anything for the sudden numbers jump.

I was wondering if anyone else knew about this routine and could explain the wisdom of squatting three times a week and only OHP for one day a week rather than having squat one day with more sets but at the same rep range, then dead lifts the next, bench the next etc etc.

I love the gym and more frequency seems a lot more fun than only being there 40 minutes 3x a week.

It’S the classic 5x5 program. People have successfully used it since the 50s.

My advice would be to stick to it. Give it a few more weeks and the weights will be heavy enough to crush you if you aren’t being careful and committed. Trust me, 5x5 squats with a heavy weight are NOT boring. Also, stop thinking like a gym rat. The effectiveness of your program should be decisive, not its entertainment factor.

Stronglifts 5x5 and starting strength both have you squatting 3x a week. You will hate the workouts, but love the results, especially once the weight starts getting heavy. Do not plan to do much other physical activity of be effective at sports while doing the program though, your body will need all the recovery it can get to keep progressing at that rate. How you look has more to do with what you eat than how you lift. If you are doing the program you should be growing all over your body, but especially your legs and back should be bigger. True it doesn’t have direct arm work but its rationale is that you get more bang for your buck with big compound movement than blasting out bicep curls. If it doesn’t interfere with your recovery feel free to throw in a few sets of curls if you want to get ‘teh pump’ but realize that pumped up muscles do no equal muscle growth or strength gains necessarily.

I think I should point out that the Stronglifts program, as I understand it and am doing it, is a little different than you outlined. Basically, you should be alternating weeks: ABA and then BAB. So the first week you squat, bench, and row on Monday and Friday and squat, press, and deadlift on Wednesday. The second week you should squat, press, and deadlift on Monday and Friday, and squat, bench, and row on Wednesday.

If you do the program ABA every week, you will not balance the lifts as the program recommends. Also, your progression will be funky. You are supposed to add 5 pounds to a lift every time you do it except the deadlift where you add 10 pounds. Since your program has you deadlifting and pressing less, those lifts will quickly fall behind while the bench and row are at risk of stalling earlier.

To your original question, I thought it was easy at first, too. I’m am up to 260 on the squats, 295 on the deadlift, 135 on the press, 165 on the rows, and 185 on the bench. The bench is still a little easy since I used to bench a lot more and that is disproportionately strong for me. However, all of the other lifts are quite hard and I definitely don’t feel like I am cutting the gym short when I leave after ‘only’ 3 exercises. Also, once the weights get heavy, you have to do some heavier warm-ups, so it’s more than 5 sets (and deadlift is definitely more than 1 set).

On a final note, I would caution against jumping up the weight and trying to make it hard earlier. I found that it actually got harder much later than I expected. That is, by the time I got to a weight that would have been hard (or impossible) for me before the program, I had gotten stronger from the first part of the program. Although those weights weren’t easy, they went up much easier than I expected. So just because you don’t feel like you are beat doesn’t mean it isn’t working.

^ !!

Well yeah I couldn’t complete my squats or chins on Wednesday, I had just made that post too so now I have serious egg on face. Might drop the weight and start building again. I started at my max because I am a retard who thinks he does not need to follow the program properly. I added quite a lot starting at my max but I am thinking dropping down would be best in the long run.

Also I have found out I am Gluten/wheat intolerant so am now struggling to get 2000 calories a day which will probably mean my lifts going to shit. Feel like fucking it all off and playing tennis sometimes lol.

[quote]BeginnerBrah wrote:
am now struggling to get 2000 calories a day[/quote]

wat

its easy to get calories being gluten/wheat intolerant. stupid excuse.

Factor in Lactose intolerance. its not that easy. uness I have 200g of fat from olive oil a day.

I think you should be able to get 2000kcal no problem - I have experimented with the paleo diet quite a few times and easily got over 2000kcal and that prohibits all dairy and gluten.

Obviously it is harder with the intolerances you have but 2000kcal is achievable regardless of limitations. Fair enough that 5000kcal would be a struggle, but even then it’s not impossible.

Are you gluten intolerant or do you have coeliac disease? If its just mild intolerance I think you’ll be able to handle oats (they don’t contain gluten but contain a similar protein which can still affect those with coeliac disease). Oats are a great bulking food.

Otherwise try sweet potatoes or rice. Both are cheap staples and will easily boost your calories. Nuts and seeds are calorie dense, though more expensive. I’m sure there are millions of other options, these are just obvious ones.

I gest on average 2200 from just fruit, nuts and animal protein. I could get more but I can only afford so much lean meat. chicken and fish, I am pretty skint so the remainder would be straight fat, which is probably dumb considering I get a lot of carbs from the fruit as it is and am averaging around 120 grams of fat already.

Anyway first world problems. Will just keep lifting.

I gest on average 2200 from just fruit, nuts and animal protein. I could get more but I can only afford so much lean meat. chicken and fish, I am pretty skint so the remainder would be straight fat, which is probably dumb considering I get a lot of carbs from the fruit as it is and am averaging around 120 grams of fat already.

Anyway first world problems. Will just keep lifting.[/quote]

I don’t think many people in the developed world are too poor to add some rice to their diet.

Good luck with your goals :slight_smile:

So last week I hit a record, benching and squatting over 70kg. 75 kg on quats. My bodyweight is 70. It is a big milestone for me as I have always been a weak fuck and its a sign of sure improvement.

However I hit those on monday and the last two sesison I couldnt even do one set at the same weight. It is like the monday sessio burnt my legs out and now when I squat I get an insane burning sensaton in my legs I cant push through and cant get the bar back up.

Is it at this time you drop the weights and build back up?

So last week I hit a record, benching and squatting over 70kg. 75 kg on quats. My bodyweight is 70. It is a big milestone for me as I have always been a weak fuck and its a sign of sure improvement.

However I hit those on monday and the last two sesison I couldnt even do one set at the same weight. It is like the monday sessio burnt my legs out and now when I squat I get an insane burning sensaton in my legs I cant push through and cant get the bar back up.

Is it at this time you drop the weights and build back up?[/quote]

You reset the weights when you FAIL (not struggle) to lift them three times in a row. You reset them by 20%, for the respective exercise only.

Oh, and: eat more potatoes. Loads of calories and easy on your system.

If my 1rm are

bench 75kg
squat 75kg
ohp 48kg
deadlift 140kg

what weight should i of started at on each main lift?

Does it matter? No. You’re already doing the program; just stop thinking and questioning it. Follow the program, up the weights; if you fail three times in a row, reset the exercise. EAT. Come back in three months.

Plus, your squat is incredibly weak, especially when compared to your deadlift. I don’t quite believe those numbers.

If my 1rm are

bench 75kg
squat 75kg
ohp 48kg
deadlift 140kg

what weight should i of started at on each main lift?[/quote]

Start everything with just the bar, except for deadlift. You can start with 1 plate on each side (20kg or 45lb plate)

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Does it matter? No. You’re already doing the program; just stop thinking and questioning it. Follow the program, up the weights; if you fail three times in a row, reset the exercise. EAT. Come back in three months.

Plus, your squat is incredibly weak, especially when compared to your deadlift. I don’t quite believe those numbers.[/quote]

The squat might be stronger than i put, however when im not taking creatine or using a preworkout as i am not now i cant go higher than that and maintain my form. also these are based on guestimates from my 5x5