Feeling Hamstrings While Benching

I always notice that when I go really heavy on bench pressing and try to get that last rep…my hamstrings get real tight and actually spasm sometimes.

I’m sure its from pushing through the floor with my feet…to keep my back from arching off the bench,but has anyone else experienced this?(This might seem like a stupid question but I just want some open minded views about this.)

[quote]BigCT wrote:
I always notice that when I go really heavy on bench pressing and try to get that last rep…my hamstrings get real tight and actually spasm sometimes.

I’m sure its from pushing through the floor with my feet…to keep my back from arching off the bench,but has anyone else experienced this?(This might seem like a stupid question but I just want some open minded views about this.) [/quote]

I experience that almost every time I try to beat my personal best. I read an article that said to stretch out your calves and hip flexors before your bench.

Yeah it happens to me too. I’ve experimented with raising the bench seat and that helped but it is too much trouble to do everytime. I now stretch my hamstrings as part of my bench workout. They still cramp up but not as bad and not as often. I’m interested too if any has any other suggestions on what to do about it.

I also recall reading that the calves and hip flexors shoud be stretched, but don’t remember where I read it. Does anyone know? If you find that reference you may be able to solve the hamstring problem.