T Nation

Feeling Front Squats

hey guys i had a question, when i preform front squats with reps from 5 or below i feel most of the emphasize on my glutes and if i go 5-10 then i feel it more in my quads. Can someone tell me why this is? Also my form is the same no matter what rep range its in

Taking a wild stab here…

Your Quad dominant and when your Glutes get tired your quads compensate.

I don’t know for sure.

I’d say your form goes out the window when you go low reps/heavier and you use your glutes more to compensate/lean forward more/sit back more.

Post a comparison video (from the side)

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
I’d say your form goes out the window when you go low reps/heavier and you use your glutes more to compensate/lean forward more/sit back more.

[/quote]

Ya, I agree. Or your glutes and hips are just much stronger and they are recruited instead to keep the weight from crushing you. Try lightening the load and sticking with 5 reps. Focus on form and using your quads and then build back up the weight.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

[/quote]

i should post a video and your probably right i mean i thought my form was good but maybe i dont sit back all the way with low reps

[quote]crod266 wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

i should post a video and your probably right i mean i thought my form was good but maybe i dont sit back all the way with low reps[/quote]

I actually meant that maybe you sit back more than you think :wink:
No matter, let’s just see that vid and then we may just find out what’s wrong.

I took a tip from one of the articles from Thibs that has made a big difference.

Pick a weight you can front squat in perfect form for 6-8 reps, rack the weight and immediately switch to back squats. I generally use the same weight for 3-4 sets. Your reps will drop on each set.

This has given me the absolutely the best / worst DOMS (depending on how you look at it) in my quads EVER.

[quote]giterdone wrote:
I took a tip from one of the articles from Thibs that has made a big difference.

[/quote]

Hey Git, do you have that link?

I used to back squat heavy for years, and even though my legs did grow, my ass would always be sore for days. It’s only in recent years that by switching to front squats as my main quad exercise and a more methodic utilization of hacks and various ham exercises have my legs begun to look more like those of a bodybuider, and less or being just ‘pretty big legs’.

S

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
giterdone wrote:

Hey Git, do you have that link?

[/quote]

Enjoy the pain. I have recently realized that my cardio needs work. Extended set training like this, 20 rep squats etc. are making me suck wind more than I should.

As no one has suggested it… try putting a small plate its 1.25kg for me… under your TOES now squat as usual.

Further back on your heels the better Dan John had it right o so long ago.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6529481301858251744